Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am not the author, just sharing the perspective below as others might find it interesting.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...ffp-rifle-scope

Re: Do you really "NEED" a FFP rifle scope.
Wednesday at 10:44 AM

FFP certainly has its application. As a law enforcement sniper and competitive shooter, I tend to separate my requirements. I DO NOT use FFP for work. I use SFP. For Tactical competitions, I absolutely use FFP.

For ELR shooting and hunting I prefer SFP.

For LE, having tried to use FFP, I found too many negatives. The environment for an LE sniper is not as dynamic as one would think. We are in a position of security and overwatch and 9 times out of 10 I am 120 yards or less with the majority being within 70 yards or less. We always want to minimize the containment zone and a larger containment zone typically means more civilian/non-threat presence. So closer is often better for the LE Sniper. Being closer requires more FOV and less magnification. On FFP, less magnification, often even minimum, means very thin crosshairs. Add in low light, shadows, dark trailer parks, wooded areas and the reticle is very hard to pick up quickly for a reactive shot.While an illuminated reticle is a benefit, is not always practical. For LE work, I can't remember when I had to utilize holds outside of training. I dial everything so FFP was negated. Due to liability concerns, we do not take long shots although we regularly train out to 600 yards. As LE Snipers our ROE and Liability are always at the forefront of our decision making process. We are not military snipers nor is our mission anything alike.

I much prefer the constant line thickness of the SFP riflescope for LE precision work.

For competitive purpose, FFP is invaluable as the situations that match directors like to utilize DO fully test your equipment and it IS a HUGE benefit.

While the FFP reticle has its advantages, it has its disadvantages on lower magnification too. So if you are an LE Sniper or hunter who may operate a good portion on lower magnifications at shorter distances, consider the mission and the environment and let that drive the equipment. My agency rifle has a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 SFP on it. I often operate at 5-12x and have been as close as 70 feet on glassfor prior deployments. I dial everything. I use higher mag for observation and identification if/when necessary. I have tried the Bushnell DMR3-21 and NF 15x F1. They were terrible choices and the entire team was in agreement. Other local teams have purchased FFP thinking that because the internet says FFP is a must for LE use, they had to have them only to find they had wasted their money and was to their detriment. It was not easy for them to get back in a good SFP scope which better fit their mission.

I am a firm believer in using an FFP when it fits. I have a few NF 4-16x42 F1's now and recently got rid of a Kahles 6-24. They are great for the tactical competition application and would be awesome if I was a military sniper. I personally would not choose them for LE work.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great read. Thanks for sharing!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
That has little to no application to hunting past 50 yards. A well designed FFP reticle is absolutely a better choice than a SFP from any range where you need to factor wind to as far as you want to shoot.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
In the woods my S&B 3-12x42 with Mil Dot first focal plane is useless early and late on the lowest settings. In those conditions that scope is a 6-12x42 to have the reticle thick enough for my old eyes to see. It just so happens that in the deep woods is when you want to use the large field of view provided by the lower range of the scope.

Now I do not use that scope in the deer woods, I have other scopes for that use.

I can use the full range of the scope in daylight or not under tree canopy, like I experience mostly in western hunting. My guess is that most people who have first focal plane scopes only use the upper 2/3 of the range.

I love my S&B 3-12x42 with the first focal plane but I know its limitations. Now I am not a long range shooter but I can see the advantage of the FFP when using the scope as a dedicated long range unit.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the consistent thickness of the reticle in deer hunting. I am not a sniper.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jeffbird
I am not the author, just sharing the perspective below as others might find it interesting.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hi...ffp-rifle-scope

Re: Do you really "NEED" a FFP rifle scope.
Wednesday at 10:44 AM

FFP certainly has its application. As a law enforcement sniper and competitive shooter, I tend to separate my requirements. I DO NOT use FFP for work. I use SFP. For Tactical competitions, I absolutely use FFP.

For ELR shooting and hunting I prefer SFP.

For LE, having tried to use FFP, I found too many negatives. The environment for an LE sniper is not as dynamic as one would think. We are in a position of security and overwatch and 9 times out of 10 I am 120 yards or less with the majority being within 70 yards or less. We always want to minimize the containment zone and a larger containment zone typically means more civilian/non-threat presence. So closer is often better for the LE Sniper. Being closer requires more FOV and less magnification. On FFP, less magnification, often even minimum, means very thin crosshairs. Add in low light, shadows, dark trailer parks, wooded areas and the reticle is very hard to pick up quickly for a reactive shot.While an illuminated reticle is a benefit, is not always practical. For LE work, I can't remember when I had to utilize holds outside of training. I dial everything so FFP was negated. Due to liability concerns, we do not take long shots although we regularly train out to 600 yards. As LE Snipers our ROE and Liability are always at the forefront of our decision making process. We are not military snipers nor is our mission anything alike.

I much prefer the constant line thickness of the SFP riflescope for LE precision work.

For competitive purpose, FFP is invaluable as the situations that match directors like to utilize DO fully test your equipment and it IS a HUGE benefit.

While the FFP reticle has its advantages, it has its disadvantages on lower magnification too. So if you are an LE Sniper or hunter who may operate a good portion on lower magnifications at shorter distances, consider the mission and the environment and let that drive the equipment. My agency rifle has a Nightforce ATACR 5-25 SFP on it. I often operate at 5-12x and have been as close as 70 feet on glassfor prior deployments. I dial everything. I use higher mag for observation and identification if/when necessary. I have tried the Bushnell DMR3-21 and NF 15x F1. They were terrible choices and the entire team was in agreement. Other local teams have purchased FFP thinking that because the internet says FFP is a must for LE use, they had to have them only to find they had wasted their money and was to their detriment. It was not easy for them to get back in a good SFP scope which better fit their mission.

I am a firm believer in using an FFP when it fits. I have a few NF 4-16x42 F1's now and recently got rid of a Kahles 6-24. They are great for the tactical competition application and would be awesome if I was a military sniper. I personally would not choose them for LE work.

pretty much nails it. I have yet to see a FFP reticle that is worth a darn below 5x power and frankly they are starting to suck when you get below about 8x. I don't know why people can't just admit both have advantages depending on the power class of the optic and what you are doing with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty much nails it for LE work and hunting out to 150 yards...

For everything else, there's FFP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
For everything else, there's FFP.

Maybe, except squirrel shooting. When the reticle is larger than your target it is not much of a sight.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have zero troubles shooting squirrel-sized things with my FFP scopes...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why Pat and George designed the Bushy LRHS with the "donut of death" for when you have it at 3x....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
That's why Pat and George designed the Bushy LRHS with the "donut of death" for when you have it at 3x....

that scope should NEVER have been FFP I don't care if god designed it.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Then spend your money elsewhere. If you're really THAT pissed that they didn't make a scope exactly to your personal SFP specifications, give them a call and complain. Probably won't help much though, they sell plenty of them. wink

I have two of them and find them to be stupendous optics. If funds were better, I'd have more of 'em. The only gripe I have is how heavy they are. I think if they could find a way to chop about 8oz off, they'd be AMAZING for a light weight rig, but they work fine as-is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Because your shooting and hunting credentials out pace those of the two who designed it? HAHA! That's rich.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Go easy on him, his credentials include intel gained from a trade show and a few YouTube videos. That's gotta be worth something grin

I keep trying to convince him to hold his tongue on FFP scopes until he manages to buy and try a few, but I can see that that's not gonna happen...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

pretty much nails it. I have yet to see a FFP reticle.

Fixed it for you. It is truly amazing to see someone put the amount of time and effort that you do into denigrating a piece of equipment they have never used.

David

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It really takes buffoonery to a new level.... LOL
Originally Posted by pointer

Because your shooting and hunting credentials out pace those of the two who designed it? HAHA! That's rich.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
This is another reason I like using illuminated reticles. On an FFP scope under 200 yards, I just view the reticle as a duplex, which was easy to train my eyes to do when it is lit. At longer ranges where you need the subtensions, your magnification has almost always been increased as well.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't have a ffp lit scope but that sounds very logical. I do like my illuminated scopes on a low setting in low light.

To be honest I don't do a lot of jump shooting in thickets so 2 3 4 power doesn't get used all that much. At 5 and 6x I can see my reticle real well.

L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
That has little to no application to hunting past 50 yards. A well designed FFP reticle is absolutely a better choice than a SFP from any range where you need to factor wind to as far as you want to shoot.

+1
+2
+3
+...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I really like this FFP scope but as stated, it's heavy, and to the point of the thread, on my 3-12x, that reticle gets very fine at three power; however, I bought it for a niche use over snow and generally very bright conditions so it's fine.

But as the author in the OP's said, consider very carefully what your needs are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.