Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
P.S. to the guy who should have gone to medical school. Maybe when you made tone of money you would have bought an expensive race car, crashed and died. Sometimes when we look on things as bad at that time, actually turn out to be good.

What is done is done. I would not trade my family for anything in this world.

I just answered a theoretical question

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How do we know we're not already reliving the lives we led? How do we know we're not on the 3rd, 4th or 1000th iteration trying to get it right?

We just don't get to know what we knew then, or will know later, or however that works...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
How do we know we're not already reliving the lives we led? How do we know we're not on the 3rd, 4th or 1000th iteration trying to get it right?

We just don't get to know what we knew then, or will know later, or however that works...

Well, the Bible says we live once and then are judged. (Or something like that.) So we have an answer to that hypothetical.

There are several things I might have done different but some of them would have cancelled each other out.

I should have submitted my resume to the Government Accounting Standards Board when they requested it, instead of going into self-employment.

But I should have found a way to stay downstate during Carter's recession because I never have found a way to get back down there since then. But, of course, then there never would have been the wrong choice to make regarding GASB.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I would be a chitload better husband and father. I allowed my 'need' for solitude in the field to have precedent over time with family. I'd work long hours in construction all week so my family had all they needed and spend the weekends with a pack, gun, rod, binos... I was a great guy, didn't drink, go to the bar, chase women, beat the kids... I was an idiot... One year I decided I would hunt every weekend from August archery deer to Feb javalina, birds, bear, varmint calling, elk, whatever... I almost made it, I only missed two weekends... looking back I can see what I really missed. My wife would joke to other people that she saved me from being a hermit... hey, she knew how I was before we got married... what a self absorbed pigfucking excuse. After 20 years I took her on my elk hunt, then my antelope hunt, then packing in to coues hunt, soon any hunt she wanted to. I'm the one who lost out those early years.

I really failed as a father, that is my legacy... sins of the father. I refuse to fail anymore as a husband and won't as a grandfather... it'll never be enough. Kent

This is a fine and genuinely introspective man being more openly honest than most would dare. My time with him, although too short, has been of great value. Even though understanding much of why he deems himself a "failure" as a father, I cannot agree with that assessment for, in my aging eyes, there is too much evidence to the contrary. As some know from time well spent, he has proved his excellent mettle in may other ways. A very congruent person, as evidenced by his post.

Also - John - very good thread.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nealglen37
Bad luck or Good luck?

There is a Chinese story of a farmer who used an old horse to till his fields. One day, the horse escaped to the hills and when the farmer's neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

A week later, the horse returned with a herd of horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

Then, when the farmer's son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

Some weeks later, the army marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his broken leg, they let him off.

Now was that good luck or bad luck? Who knows?

P.S. to the guy who should have gone to medical school. Maybe when you made tone of money you would have bought an expensive race car, crashed and died. Sometimes when we look on things as bad at that time, actually turn out to be good.
I believe that story is from Taoism but I might be mistaken.

There is another story of a fellow who asked a magician to let him relive his life, to "know then what he knew now". So the magician granted his wish and sent him back to when he was a young man just starting out in life.

The man changed many things in his life - different job, married a different woman and lived in a different house in a different country - but he was just as miserable as he was in his previous life. He only changed the external things but neglected to change anything internally so he was the same person as before and made the same mistakes as before. He had the same attitudes and treated himself and others just as badly as he had before.

The other thing to take away from "if I only knew then what I know now" is that we know now what we know now and can carry that knowledge into the future. As they say on the motivational posters, it's never too late to be the person you always wanted to be.

(I'd still like to leverage silver futures at around 11 and sell a couple months later somewhere in the 40's. wink ).

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I would be more patient with my kids. It's really the one thing I regret is that I did not have enough patience with them when they were growing up.

+1

Yes sir ... they turned out ok , but wish I had been more patient

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd married that girl that tripped my trigger like no other, before or since.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd bet heavily on the 1972 Dolphins.

With those winnings, I'd put everything I owned on Secretariat to win three times in a row in 1973.

I'd invest in real estate in the mid-70's and ride the double digit inflation wave for a few years, then cash out to...

...Buy silver at 7 and sell it close to 40 in 1979.

I'd invest a lot in Microsoft in the 80's.

I'd short the market like crazy on Oct. 19th, 1987.

I'd invest in a lot of tech firms in the 1990's, like Cisco, then get out of those around 2000. I'd position myself in cash in 2007 and then pick up a lot of bargains in 2008.

I wouldn't get married, or if I did I wouldn't do it for the reasons I did.

Other than that, not much different...

You've put some thought into this.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Can't change the past, learn from it.
Live in the present, enjoy it.
Plan for the future, can't avoid it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would find the stupid teenager that thought it was really cool to smoke cigarettes and get falling down drunk whenever possible , would kick his azz into next week.

Other than that, probably wouldn't change too much, has been one hell of a ride and still on the horse.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd try to get in a few more visits with my Grandpa and my Great Uncle. They probably had the answers to the questions I am facing at this point in my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've done plenty of stupid things, and learned from a few of them.

That said, I guess it's my personality but I tend to look forward not back. Hence I really can't think of anything I would have changed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would not change a thing.
Yes, I made mistakes along the way, but, --- what a hell of a ride!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd hang out more with that Gates geek.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Plan for the future, can't avoid it.

Well, you could but....

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

This is interesting, because one of my fears/concerns is that they're going to send me back and make me do it again. Wasn't much fun this time, don't really want to again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would do just about everything different if I had the chance to live my adult life over again. It's a darn shame that I lived as long as I did before I learned what I have. I'd realize early on that the best stuff in life isn't 'stuff'. I'd realize early on that marriage is like digging for rubies in a pile of rubble, only to discover that the rubble itself was the real treasure all along. I'd realize early on that the least rewarding time of my life was when I lived for myself. And more than anything else, I'd realize that loving God...and demonstrating my love for God by loving others...would be and should be the filter through which I thought about, and acted upon, everything in my life. And I would put forth tremendous effort to make sure that my loved ones knew that they were loved unconditionally by me. I'd be more nurturing, and I'd be more emotionally attuned with them. A lot. And I'd spend a lot less time and money on things that did not matter, and I'd spend a lot more time and money on things that did matter.

That said, I know of no other charity that is as outstanding in every aspect of its mission than St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still haven't figured how to shoot a deer and have it run to my truck before it falls over dead. Otherwise it's be a good and occasionally wild ride I wouldn't change.

Hang ten.....if you got 'em.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have gone straight to college instead of almost blowing my GI bill. I'd be an engineer now instead of a tech with a two year degree.

At least I got a bit of education, w/o the indoctrination, that helps me be useful and earn my keep.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I wouldn't have started to smoke, paying the price now

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.