-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm encouraged by the laser systems they just deployed on some Navy vessels. Pinpoint accurate, rapid fire, and about $1.50 a shot. Gotta think they can (or have) scaled these up for missle defense as well.

I suspect that some of the launchpad failures by the Axis of Evil members might well have been "assisted" by similar devices, but we'll never know.

What fresh Hell is this?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Would it be possible to mobilize fighter jets to shoot one down?
Some of these targets would be about 2-3x higher altitude than even a bomber aircraft can travel. Even if you could, by the time you found out one was inbound, you would have minutes to act, and there would be no way in hell of getting a plane into position to shoot.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I think the big problem is quantity. The intercontinental missiles that the major powers use these days are essentially nuclear cluster bombs. They have to be hit before they release their payload or instead of having one target, you've got 20.

That's correct, the multiple independent re-entry vehicles necessitate hitting the target in the exo-atmosphere while it's a single target. Hence my previous comments about the physics challenges of actually getting a weapon in position, up to that altitude, and still maneuverable with little to no use of aerodynamic control (ie wings/fins etc).

MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well don't over look a shotgun loaded with a load of dried black eyed peas. grin

Or rock salt.Going fast enough they do hurt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Takin' delivery on a .45-70 shortly, I'm willing to help.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'm encouraged by the laser systems they just deployed on some Navy vessels. Pinpoint accurate, rapid fire, and about $1.50 a shot. Gotta think they can (or have) scaled these up for missle defense as well.

I suspect that some of the launchpad failures by the Axis of Evil members might well have been "assisted" by similar devices, but we'll never know.

Are the THEL systems still operational ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shooting down a terrestrial anti-ship cruise missile, coming straight at you at 1 nautical mile is worlds apart from shooting a mach 5, crossing geometry target, hardened to survive atmospheric re-entry, at 200-300,000 feet, and having to account for the refraction of the laser through a massive atmospheric gradient. So in short, that system wouldn't be the starting point. It would need to be a grid of systems that were all space based, and none of us has/had the clearance to know what's going on with that right now.

MOLON LABE
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BeanMan: As a child and teenager I lived quite close to a Nike Missile "defense site".
About every three years the brass at the sites would allow the folks living near the sites to tour, inspect and learn about the Nike Missiles.
I went on a few of those tours.
I actually touched some Nike Missiles down in their shallow silos.
The tours espoused the fact that these Nike Missiles were fast and would fly out and home in on approaching Russian bombers and fly into them before they could get to our cities and our military bases and air fields in the Puget Sound area.
Decades later LONG after the Nike Missiles became obsolete and were removed I learned that those Nike Missiles did not need to "strike" anything!
They were all equipped with small nuclear (atomic?) warheads and once within 5 to 8 miles of Russian bombers they would detonate (over my house?) and the shock wave would shatter the Russkies bombers!
I hope my tax dollars have been spent to protect us from attacks of this nature nowadays.
I don't know, but I have positioned myself to live out the rest of my life far from any defense facilities - that gives me some peace of mind.
Where I previously lived not only were there many military bases and Air Force facilities but also U.S, Navy nuclear submarine bases nearby!
I moved away from that missile magnet area and am quite content to live where I am, protected from nuclear blasts by 7 mountain ranges that surround me and I have a quasi-bomb shelter built right in to my home.
Again I hope we have some kind of ballistic missile protection system but don't know for sure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by noKnees
The Navy's Aegis ships have the capacity, but I can't say I place much reliance on it.

Would probably need to wait until January 20th before it would be allowed to be shot down.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I was watching Rocky's post about a missile launch and it got me to wondering. How good are we at intercepting and terminating a missile flight, for example, one launched by North Korea aimed in our direction? I assume we have some capability but that it isn't doesn't have a high kill probability.

I could tell you the answer, but then I'd have to kill ya.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Shooting down a terrestrial anti-ship cruise missile, coming straight at you at 1 nautical mile is worlds apart from shooting a mach 5, crossing geometry target, hardened to survive atmospheric re-entry, at 200-300,000 feet, and having to account for the refraction of the laser through a massive atmospheric gradient. So in short, that system wouldn't be the starting point. It would need to be a grid of systems that were all space based, and none of us has/had the clearance to know what's going on with that right now.

A friend that's an old hand with Raytheon was commenting about as close to the edge of "classified" as he could, after the second or third successful test of an anti missile system that nailed a missile fired by the USN offshore, and targeting the Barry Goldwater range.
His call out was that it equated to hitting a bullet in flight, with another bullet.
When you start creating clouds of high velocity debris for the target to fly through, you're shooting at a bullet with a shotgun.

Outlaw, thanks for the savvy commentary today.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Personally I favor invasion..

Having taken place in an invasion in '03, I would prefer a first strike.

Invasions are over rated, and they suck for those involved.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Google 49th Missile Defense Battalion, Ft Greely AK. Ground based interceptor location.

I hope they are good. I smile every time we drive by the base!

Please spend money when you drive through!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I was watching Rocky's post about a missile launch and it got me to wondering. How good are we at intercepting and terminating a missile flight, for example, one launched by North Korea aimed in our direction? I assume we have some capability but that it isn't doesn't have a high kill probability.

I was actually part of the ballistic missile defense project a few years ago as the Combat Systems Officer on a guided missile Cruiser. During that time, we launched 2 exo-atmospheric projective missile from our ship at Minuteman missiles. The issue with ship launch systems is the range. The best you can expect from a ship is a theater ballistic missile intercept, not an intercontinental ballistic missile intercept. The other limitation is that the ship would pretty much need to be at or near right under the path of the missile. Trying to hit a target going mach 5+ in a crossing or chasing geometry isn't going to happen.

Land based systems allow you to have a lot bigger and longer range intercepts, but the physics challenge of chasing down such a high altitude and high speed target doesn't go away. We may be able to guess where the source of launch is, but the land target could be anywhere in a 1,500 mile range. The other lesser understood challenge is that at the altitudes of intercept expected, the atmosphere is so thin that explosive destruction of the target is not reliable. There just isn't enough air to give the shock wave enough kinetic energy to kill a traget that so hardened it can survive orbit re-entry. So most of these weapons are designed with kinetic kill vehicles that are ejected and attempt a skin to skin hit- very difficult to do.

If I told you any more, I'd have to kill you grin

Fascinating. Thanks for posting!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

Thank you for your service and sacrifice(s).

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think we'll need the lasers for the Hypersonic Maneuverables.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absent space based lasers, I always wonder why they don't upsize the shotgun concept. Launch a cloud of steel ball bearings at the incoming missiles. Say 500 lbs of 1" steel balls, mounted on top of the interceptor missile. This of course is for high altitude intercepts, where air resistance is nil. A hit by one ball at that speed is going to wreck the incoming weapon.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

So long as we do it while we still have more stealth bombers then the Norks have nukes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A few years back there was a lot of noise about mounting those anti-missile lasers on a big multiengine jet.

Followup reports have been scarce with the present tenant of the Executive Office.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Strategic Defense Initiative, aka Star Wars, was incredibly successful. An ICBM fired from Vandenburg and aimed at Kwajelein Atoll was struck by a laser fired from the NTS near Las Vegas. SDI also produced huge "black " budgets that financed other rarely discussed projects.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.