Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Tax breaks to companies goes on all the time in state politics.

The state of Kentucky bent over backwards with tax breaks and lots more to get Toyota to build its plant in Georgetown Ky.

It was probably one of the best investments any state government has ever made.

Amen... When Martha Layne Collins struck the deal with Toyota to open the plant in Georgetown, KY back in the early 1980's you'da thought she was giving away the entire state. Thirty years later, that 10 years of tax concessions looks like one of the best investments ever made: largest Toyota manufacturing facility outside of Japan. 19,000 to 20,000 direct and indirect jobs. In 1980, Georgetown, KY was a wide spot in the road. Today, Scott County is one of the top 10 most affluent counties in the state with one of the best school districts in the state.

Sometimes you gotta make an investment. Will the Carrier deal be as lucrative? Only time will tell. But at least give Trump credit for trying. "Zero" did nothing...

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If America wanted to know what a clam thought, they would have elected that other guy.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Talking ebonics out of his black azz. Totally a worthless piece of chit!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Tax breaks to companies goes on all the time in state politics.

The state of Kentucky bent over backwards with tax breaks and lots more to get Toyota to build its plant in Georgetown Ky.

It was probably one of the best investments any state government has ever made.

Amen... When Martha Layne Collins struck the deal with Toyota to open the plant in Georgetown, KY back in the early 1980's you'da thought she was giving away the entire state. Thirty years later, that 10 years of tax concessions looks like one of the best investments ever made: largest Toyota manufacturing facility outside of Japan. 19,000 to 20,000 direct and indirect jobs.

I think that number is much larger. Many years ago I heard that Toyota was directly responsible for 50,000 jobs in the area.

Just one example. A Johnson Controls facility was located in Georgetown Ky. For years it had been stumbling along staying barely alive,..but it was a large stamping facility.

Toyota went to Johnson Controls and told them "We want you to produce automobile seat brackets".

Johnson Controls tooled up and all of a sudden they could sell every seat bracket they could make.

Also, I worked in a small machine shop that made a few of the dies that Johnson Controls needed to retool in order to be a vendor to Toyota.

That same basic scenario spread throughout Central Kentucky

I also worked at 2 wheel plants that were specifically built to supply auto wheels to Toyota.

After those plants were built we also tooled up and started producing wheels for Honda in Ohio, Nissan in Tennessee, Ford in Louisville, and GM (everywhere).

There's so many ways that a large auto plant creates jobs that it's difficult to list them all.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sounds like she is about as smart as Hillary

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's so many ways that a large auto plant creates jobs that it's difficult to list them all.

Kinda reminds me of the old "a rising tide, raises all ships" thing. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by watch4bear
When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent

I just hope they don't go broke like Solyndra did.

Solyndra was a money laundering scheme for the DNC. Got anymore cogent insights?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Screw Palin she did more harm than good for the state of Alaska! Why the boys in the lower 48'are enamored with her is beyond me...

Giving her her due... she did several things well.

She moved some entrenched idiots out of place... almost drained a swamp... stopped some out of line spending.

But then she started it big time and Captain Zero (Parnell) came in and simply relit the spending in a slightly different direction. But he did get the hottest spending fire going in state history.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
If America wanted to know what a clam thought, they would have elected that other guy.

Dave

Ouch.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I don't see anything wrong with the point that we should not be picking winners and losers. All of us slammed Obama for doing that with some of the green companies, and it's no different now.

On the other hand, if Trump can deliver on his promise to pass wide reaching business tax and regulatory reforms, it should bring broad benefits to most companies anyway.

We all know Trump is a showman. So if he's simply threatening to take negative action on companies as a tactic to keep them from leaving before those broad tax and regulatory reforms get implemented, I'm okay with that.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 12/03/16.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Nothing wrong with reducing corporate taxes and regulations,..but the only thing that will have a real impact on getting manufacturing started in America is,...the government is going to have to stop trying to play the free trade game with a nation of a billion people who work under government imposed wage and price controls.

One sided global free trade will put America exactly where it is right now.

20 trillion dollars in debt and 95 million people with no jobs.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Its always interesting what the insiders know... Palin up front was interesting.

But you folks in AK dealt with her.

Everyone thinks Perry is so hot too, I have no use for him personally... but he did an ok job as governor.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
I don't see anything wrong with the point that we should not be picking winners and losers. All of us slammed Obama for doing that with some of the green companies, and it's no different now.

On the other hand, if Trump can deliver on his promise to pass wide reaching business tax and regulatory reforms, it should bring broad benefits to most companies anyway.

We all know Trump is a showman. So if he's simply threatening to take negative action on companies as a tactic to keep them from leaving before those broad tax and regulatory reforms get implemented, I'm okay with that.

"Picking winners and losers" is only Palin's attempt to discredit Trump and has nothing to do with the situation. Trump negotiates with a company to incentivize remaining in the US. It is open, honest, public, and likely a good deal all around.

I believe it is a signal her discussions with Trump did not go as well as she would have liked.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Winners and losers? Really? How about the 1100+ workers who are keeping their jobs? How about the $16M infrastructure upgrade UT/Carrier is now committed to?
How about all the supportive businesses in the Indianapolis area that are going to benefit? Good economics yield a cascading effect too.

If Palin thinks this way, she can stay the hell up in Alaska and chew on a caribou carcass.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yesterday, Kelly Ann Conway said that Trump is not one who surrounds himself with yes men and that he is open to other views and criticisms. Just keep it polite and not personal.

That is what Palin just did. Debating policy. I do not know why anyone would have a problem with that.

Trump has known for a long time that Palin will stick to her core beliefs; come hell or high water.

Special interest crony capitalism is a big issue for her.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
She's just an opportunist, looking for relevancy to keep the paychecks coming in. If she was ugly and flat-chested, no one would even know who she is.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Winners and losers? Really? How about the 1100+ workers who are keeping their jobs? How about the $16M infrastructure upgrade UT/Carrier is now committed to?
How about all the supportive businesses in the Indianapolis area that are going to benefit? Good economics yield a cascading effect too.

If Palin thinks this way, she can stay the hell up in Alaska and chew on a caribou carcass.

Give me a break, you know exactly what I'm talking about. So, if you want to ask a bunch of emotional questions, how about the other 20,000 companies in the state that want an incentive??? We can play this game all day. Of course I'm happy that workers get to keep their jobs so stop trying to put words in my mouth. All I said was that I would prefer to not single out individual companies. I would prefer to make changes that benefit ALL companies and ALL workers. If Trump keeps his promises, that will happen. I will wait and watch and give him credit if it does.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Yesterday, Kelly Ann Conway said that Trump is not one who surrounds himself with yes men and that he is open to other views and criticisms. Just keep it polite and not personal.

That is what Palin just did. Debating policy. I do not know why anyone would have a problem with that.

Trump has known for a long time that Palin will stick to her core beliefs; come hell or high water.

Special interest crony capitalism is a big issue for her.

The problem here is that it is impossible to have any kind of civil or logical discussion of any policies on this forum because there are a group of bloodthirsty Trump pittbulls here that feel a primal need to go for your jugular every time anyone questions anything that the man says or does. I VOTED FOR TRUMP. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. And I'm not going to go away and STFU just because people throw out some expletive, non sequitur, or other adolescent comment. Sometimes, I just want to have an intelligent conversation and listen to what people have to say about a topic. But that's pretty pretty much impossible here when it comes to Trump, as I said, and it's getting pretty exhausting.

MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

"Picking winners and losers" is only Palin's attempt to discredit Trump and has nothing to do with the situation. Trump negotiates with a company to incentivize remaining in the US. It is open, honest, public, and likely a good deal all around.

I believe it is a signal her discussions with Trump did not go as well as she would have liked.

Good posts, both of them.

Alot to think about, especially the possibility that Palin didn't get the reception from Trump that she expected. So, Alaskan shebear Retaliation?

Last edited by Wyogal; 12/03/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
She's just an opportunist, looking for relevancy to keep the paychecks coming in. If she was ugly and flat-chested, no one would even know who she is.

IF she was ugly?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 45 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,002
Posts18,520,503
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.