Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pdcrig
I'm looking at taking over my father in law's small, not very successful gun shop and had some questions/concerns. Can I make a decent living at it and provide for my growing family? What are some of the gotchas to look out for? How much of a pain is the ATF? Should I specialize in any one thing? What should I avoid at all cost?
I'd ask my father in law these things but he hasn't been doing it long and the shop is more of just something to do rather than really generate income. He needs lots of help to really get it going. I'd come in and make some significant changes that he might not like. It's in a small rural town and would be the only shop within a 20 minute drive. I think the market is here as I've always got guys asking me about gun stuff at work and I'm handing out business cards pretty frequently.
Anyway, I just wanted to get actual insights, opinions, and advice from those in the know. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and it not be a good move for my family. Thanks

Yes, it's gonna be tough, this is one area that wont panic boom under Trump,

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to visit Lynnwood Guns and Ammunition and talk to Randy Ketchum about his experiments and inventions before he passed away 3 years ago.

I have interviewed a lot of engineers and made them offers.

Randy was paying taxes on $30k/year.

He could have made a lot more as an engineer.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Allen917
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I think a high traffic location in a busy town would be key. In small rural areas people use gunshops as entertainment, not necessarily a place to buy something they're looking for.

This is true! A LGS has a coffee corral that kind of takes the place of the local cafe "Big Table" for old farts. The good thing about it, is it keeps them from bothering him and the regulars can offer lots of free advice and encouragement to potential buyers. Works for him, but I'm still dubious about it and don't think it will work in most places.

5 gun shops in Edmonton AB i spent most of my extra time in the one that had coffee on [[donation pot as well] thats where old boys hung out ,gun show guys collectors,.. in the 2 months i was taking treatments i bought 5 guns and some later.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I don't own a gun shop but frequent one every week.

Service is #1 imo. Location is important but people will get to you if you provide them good service. Do what you say you're going to do. Go out of your way to do it. And for F'sakes, know what the hell you're talking about. Don't be Gander Mt or Cabelas or Bass Pro. If you don't know something, tell them. But then find the answer. Don't BS an answer so it sounds like you know what you're talking about...actually know what you're talking about.

Sell stuff people want. Let them handle guns. All of them if they need to.

Have some coffee ready. A good shop will have guys in and out all day to B.S. Give em a reason to stay. Like a good bait shop IMO.
Have a mini fridge with pop for $.50 or $.75 cents. The kids need something to do while dad BS's and looks at guns.

Location is important, but see #1.

Very sound advice here.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunshop in Idaho falls called ski's gunshop its open 2days a week from noon to 4. I think thursday and Friday and my buddy says their is a crowd outside waiting for them to open up. I was lucky enough to be in town at the right time and they were open and they had great deals on rifles, powder etc. from my understanding the guy is not hurting for money so that's why he is open two days a week.

Last edited by 79S; 12/07/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, anothergun, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 14 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.