-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Driving critters is one of the tools. We have successfully done drives for elk, moose, mule deer, whitetail deer, coyotes and black bears. I have also been in on some fiascoes, especially for elk, that the organizers called a drive. Elk went everywhere except where intended. blush

My preference is two man drives with one shooter and one pusher. We have done this with bull elk on vast mountainsides of unbroken timber with no roads. The key to such drives is knowing the terrain and the travel/escape preferences animals have in that place. Kellory said that the key is to nudge the critter and that is our style. We usually get shots at standing or slowly moving critters, often as they stroll along and pause to look back toward the pusher, who still hunts his way hoping for a shot. While pushing moose I killed a bull inside of 10 foot range. It doubled back when it smelled the stander due to a wind change, and stopped beside me.

A recipe for failure or at least running shots is to try to force an animal where it does not want to go. That is extremely difficult to do with elk FWIW. Know where an animal prefers to go as his choice in that place and wind situation, and place a shooter to ambush him where the critter wants to go anyway. Then nudge the critter, perhaps by no more than a whiff of hunter smell upwind of him. Driving coyotes in my early years of bow hunting was extra fun, especially in big grassy country with rolling canyons where we could see them a long ways away.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have enjoyed hunting this way. Haven't done it in a couple of years. When drives are done in appropriate cover the deer pass close and fast. My brother and I used to do it along the river here in town. We would use a boat and drop the driver off along narrow strips of woods. Then run ahead in the boat and block off the end. We took turns driving and blocking.Most of the deer we killed were very close.
I used to really enjoy hunting with dogs before they outlawed it too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.