Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
Are you wanting advice on how to tune it, or what parts to use, or ??
Are you handloading or buying factory ammo?

Just wondering if people had experience to share with adjustable gas blocks and whether it worked well or if they would recommend just buying a weapon already custom built for this purpose. I'm also wondering if people find that the adjustable gas blocks have to be re "tuned" over time due to things like carbon build up in the tubing and a suppressor affecting back pressure. Not sure about factory or hand loading but either way, I will likely make a pick of a load/road and just keep it consistent. I'd rather have consistent behavior and leave the low moa pursuit to my longer range rifles.

Last edited by OutlawPatriot; 12/09/16.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
FWIW, I already decided to go with an AR style SBR in 300BLK for this single purpose weapon. That's why I framed my original question as I did. All I was really looking for was advise on setting up such a rifle with regard to the gas system to "tune" it for the best balance of recoil, muzzle jump, ejection site gas, and cycling reliability. Within that framework, I do appreciate the advice on the supers vs subs, because it does impact the noise and would impact the gas system. It's hilarious how guaranteed it is to start with such a non assuming thread and it ends up in a death match. That's the way of the Campfire though grin

7.5 inch, #31 drill gas port in the pistol position, PRI adjustable gas block....if you like light barrels, JPR .936 adj gas bock if you like heavy barrels.

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
7.5 inch, #31 drill gas port in the pistol position, PRI adjustable gas block....if you like light barrels, JPR .936 adj gas bock if you like heavy barrels.

That PRI looks very reasonably priced for the reviews I read.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think those of you that don't think lighting off your weapon in the house will be ok for a shot or two, go down to the local indoor range and light off a few rounds of your favored weapon without ear pro. Then get back to this thread.

I would(and have)the suppressed BLK in the house and would choose it first if warding off hordes of waifs raiding my beer fridge. But in reality, it is a 20 ga shotgun at the ready cause the wife can run it.

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You don't have to tune anything at this point in the BO game. Buy quality parts from a reputable company and use the Barnes VorTX ammo. Pistol-length gas and just a plain-ol fixed gas block. I currently have barrels from Noveske and AAC that have both been flawless with that configuration. I'm running standard CAR buffers. I started out a BO skeptic, but am now a huge fan. Deer hunting with mine tomorrow, too.

RLTW
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Originally Posted by Yondering
Are you wanting advice on how to tune it, or what parts to use, or ??
Are you handloading or buying factory ammo?

Just wondering if people had experience to share with adjustable gas blocks and whether it worked well or if they would recommend just buying a weapon already custom built for this purpose. I'm also wondering if people find that the adjustable gas blocks have to be re "tuned" over time due to things like carbon build up in the tubing and a suppressor affecting back pressure. Not sure about factory or hand loading but either way, I will likely make a pick of a load/road and just keep it consistent. I'd rather have consistent behavior and leave the low moa pursuit to my longer range rifles.

Yes, a bunch of us here have experience with adjustable gas blocks. I wouldn't expect to need one for a short barrel 300 Blk setup unless you're trying to use heavy bullet supersonic loads. It depends on your barrel though. Set it up with all standard carbine parts, and if it's overgassed, use an adjustable gas block.

I use simple set screw adjustable blocks to set it once and forget it, and have not had to go back and re-tune any of them. I won't pay more than ~$50 for one of these.

I would not recommend a 7.5" barrel unless you're willing to sacrifice significant ballistics for an inch or two of compactness. 9" to 12" is the sweet spot for this cartridge, with longer barrels being quieter when suppressed.

Greentimber's advice above is good too.

Last edited by Yondering; 12/09/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by greentimber
You don't have to tune anything at this point in the BO game. Buy quality parts from a reputable company and use the Barnes VorTX ammo. Pistol-length gas and just a plain-ol fixed gas block. I currently have barrels from Noveske and AAC that have both been flawless with that configuration. I'm running standard CAR buffers. I started out a BO skeptic, but am now a huge fan. Deer hunting with mine tomorrow, too.

What made you a huge fan?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by greentimber

What made you a huge fan?

Dave

over consumption and lack of exercise are the usual suspects

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pistol calibers in pistols are handy.

Pistol calibers in carbines give you an unhandy pistol.

Here's a quote from Michael J. Durant from the book IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES;

"I aimed the CAR-15 and pulled the trigger, and the burst of automatic fire took me by surprise. Randy had put the weapon on burst mode and I hadn't checked it, but it sure was effective. One moment the Somali's head was there, and the next moment he was gone. I can't say for certain but I think I killed that man.

I looked at the weapon in my hands and thought, This is what we need, not that MP-5 piece of crap. The heavier bangs of 5.56 mm ammo seemed much more effective than the 9mm "pops" from my MP-5."

end quote.

I don't know but given the same size, I'll take a bigger cartridge.

Carry on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and now for some non fiction;
Guarding the worlds most important negro

Last edited by AKA_Spook; 12/10/16.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by jwp475

Maybe you should do the same and list your experience.

Don't shoot much 9mm, 40, 5.56, 300BO, or 7.62..... Though 10k rounds per man per month certainly "isn't" much.....

[Linked Image]

Never even seen a 5.56 or 300B0, nor anything else....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Formidilosus; 12/10/16.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Keep in mind the aftermath of pulling the trigger. As a civilian, pulling the trigger is the beginning of years of legal issues in most cases. They tried to crucify at least one defendant because he had grip tape on his pistol. Try to defend yourself when they say you were looking to kill someone because you had a suppressor and sbr. I am not going to tell you what I think you should do, just to keep it all in mind when you decide what you need.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by jwp475

Maybe you should do the same and list your experience.

Don't shoot much 9mm, 40, 5.56, 300BO, or 7.62..... Though 10k rounds per man per month certainly "isn't" much.....

[Linked Image]

Never even seen a 5.56 or 300B0, nor anything else....

[Linked Image]

Cool toy boy.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
So I was at Wally World tonight looking at gun rags while the da wife was shopping.

I saw a write up about a 5.56 round, it was loaded with an 85 grain arrow (lol), that might be an interesting round. I believe it was loaded by Barnes.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
[Linked Image][/URL]

I like your hat! grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 10.5 inch barrel 223 with a 55 grain bullet at 2500 FPS or so indoors at spitting distance is interesting, but I got to think a 55 grain 223 at 3100 FPS within the same distance would produce slightly better results. The pistol caliber carbine in 45 ACP I am thinking real benefit would be a few dB's lower should you not be able to get your ear pro on. Just sayin is all. I don't dispute the effectiveness differences.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the 10.5 inch barrel 223 with a 55 grain bullet at 2500 FPS or so indoors at spitting distance is interesting, but I got to think a 55 grain 223 at 3100 FPS within the same distance would produce slightly better results. The pistol caliber carbine in 45 ACP I am thinking real benefit would be a few dB's lower should you not be able to get your ear pro on. Just sayin is all. I don't dispute the effectiveness differences.

I've shot too many head of game with a 45 to buy into the BS that the wound channels is the same at 800 fps as it is several hundred fps faster.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If we could only get a 4 page thread on how to make quick accurate hits in the kill zone of your target.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Pistol calibers in pistols are handy.

Pistol calibers in carbines give you an unhandy pistol.

Here's a quote from Michael J. Durant from the book IN THE COMPANY OF HEROES;

"I aimed the CAR-15 and pulled the trigger, and the burst of automatic fire took me by surprise. Randy had put the weapon on burst mode and I hadn't checked it, but it sure was effective. One moment the Somali's head was there, and the next moment he was gone. I can't say for certain but I think I killed that man.

I looked at the weapon in my hands and thought, This is what we need, not that MP-5 piece of crap. The heavier bangs of 5.56 mm ammo seemed much more effective than the 9mm "pops" from my MP-5."

end quote.

I don't know but given the same size, I'll take a bigger cartridge.

Carry on.

Lets see, first round hits head. Round 2,3,4,..... all go over the top of what was there anyway... LOL. hit in the head, a 9mm would have done the job.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
One more time, I"m just curious, all raise their hands that have ear muffs by the bed and intend to use them in the heat of the moment?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,238
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.