Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
North central Nebraska in the Sandhills. My favorite place to be. Plenty of big ones and scenery is great. The fact that we own about 80 acres of it helps. Not a big spread, but enough.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the seventies it was a a little parcel of private land in Mendocino County. I never saw a black bear though.
In the nineties it was a private lease in the coastal hills behind the watershed for San Francisco. I was a guest of some great guys who treated this Soldier like an old friend. I can't thank them enough.

Lately, on public land here in northern California, I have had better luck finding drug grows and labs instead of game. I guess I have the wrong tags.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kodiak

The sea duck hunting was great. Jump shooting ducks on small creeks was productive. Salt Marsh duck hunting could be outstanding as well. Snowshoes made for great entertainment. Prior to Hurricane Katrina I had an antler mount (in velvet) and a shoulder mount SCI bucks. I hunted bear. There are some pretty big ones on the island. I was hunting a bear my bud ended up killing. It made #13 B&C all time. There's something about hunting in a place where you can become the hunted that adds an element of excitement to the hunt. There's a small herd of Caribou though I never hunted them. The mountain goat population was growing nicely when I left. I never hunted ptarmigan, but I killed one with my four wheeler.

Cool place Kodiak is. Fishing there didn't exactly suck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several farms in SW VA that are now, sadly, all summer home subdivisions, Christmas tree farms, or Llama Sanctuaries.

we killed bunches of deer, groundhogs, squirrels, rabbits, crows and had lots of good times before they were all sold off to relocating city folks.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Best place you ever hunted? The last one. Memories fade -- take lots of pics to help remember.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Depends on what I am hunting.

Waterfowl: a mile long both side lease on the South Platte river in Colorado. Great duck hunting and okay goose numbers.

Quail: SW Kansas on public land.

Pheasant: Private land near Winner South Dakota.

Deer: My farm in western South Dakota.

Elk: Public land in wilderness area near South Fork Colorado.

Antelope: Public land in the Great Divide area near Craig Colorado. Used to take 5 to 7 years to get a permit there.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I grew up on the Sacramento Delta where duck and pheasant hunting was fantastic. My uncle managed a large ranch for years so I was issued a pass every year for permission to hunt.

For big game I thoroughly enjoyed Modoc county mule deer hunts but the best place, without question, was outside Toad River BC. Unbelievable place loaded with a wide range of critters.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Elk hunting in SW MT used to be some of the best in the USA. People came from all over the world to hunt the elk here. Those days are gone now.

Key words are "used to be"..........I've pretty much given up on hunting there anymore out of our family place in the lower Ruby's.

I'll probably still go for family reasons, but not because I expect to kill anything decent.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bayou DeLoutre (Luter) bottom from Greens Bridge to the Ark. line.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by ewc
Wayne/Hardin County TN - near a little knob called Olivehill,TN.

Have a cabin on Hardin Creek with a wood stove, electricity thru a generator, hot shower, dish TV for football games after hunting, deer a plenty +P, and always have my 5 best friends there.

Around 700-1000 acres. Some yrs 700, some 1000.

I love that area. I fish for smallmouth on the Buffalo quite a bit.

The best for me was near home in Montgomery county, Tn. As a teenager through college I had permission to hunt several farms near home, one particular farm near the Cumberland River bottoms. It is a beautiful place and I learned how to be a hunter there. It was covered up in deer, and some great bucks that gave me the slip more often than not.

I still think about the hardwood ridges and many bow kills made there. I live an hour and a half away now and new owners had different hunting plans.

Last edited by paint; 12/08/16.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Turkey hunting Hawaii, no doubt. I hunted around 8-9000 ft. I could look up and the snow cap was still on and I could look down (way down) and see the ocean. Definitely my most memorable.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
E
ewc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Send a pm. We may have room. Steelhead has first rights.

Things be changing.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
I... but the best place, without question, was outside Toad River BC. Unbelievable place loaded with a wide range of critters...

That is one helluva'n area.

I sat on the side of the Alaska Highway at Toad River one April afternoon and watched herds of sheep, moose, caribou and mountain goats all on one mountain side and flat.

I honestly thought I was seeing things, there were animals everywhere of every species. Incredible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw a big herd of elk within a mile of the store at Toad River in 2005. Have spent a few nights there on occasion, nice country.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live in Fauquier County now but some of my fondest memories were fishing Stoney, Little Stoney and Passage Creek. We used to stay in a cabin near Basye and as kids would watch all the adult men drink whiskey, play cards and swear while my buddy and me hid in the loft sneaking cigarettes during the opening weekend of trout season. Loved deer and turkey hunting along North Mountain and camping at Wolf Gap and along the road over the mountain to WV. Damn that's going back to the mid 70's !

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by hanco
I had a 1000 acre lease to myself in Coleman Texas. Big bucks, tons of quail and doves.I had it for 25 years. I miss it. Owner died, kids sold it.

I know that area in general, and a few spots in particular. It's truly some of the most beautiful and productive land in Texas, which is saying something! I bet you miss the hell out of that place.

For me, there have been some wonderful hunting places, but I can't say that any of them were ever the best place. I know some farms along the Red Deer River in southern Alberta that were thick with pheasants and huns (and probably still are), and the duck-hunting in the sloughs along the river was sometimes spectacular. And the mule deer hunting in the foothills of the Alberta Rockies is visually spectacular and the deer are huge. But I've also hunted some spectacular country in eastern Wyoming for pronghorn and deer that, although beautiful by day, was a wonder for the brightness and sheer unimaginable numbers of stars at night. And my first sunset over the bushveldt in Zimbabwe sealed the deal on my love affair with that gorgeous, game-rich country.

There is simply no best place for me. Except perhaps the next place.

Awesome reply. I have hunted from Yukon to Moz and all in between but Zim and Tanzania are definitely on my bucket list. I still get a thrill hunting squirrels with a .22 here in VA. Been to a lot of great places but still trying to keep it real with what got me here.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
MacDougal's Gap to the Western side of the Wyoming Range, 20 years ago. Closest thing to heaven back then.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Last month I hunted elk the Uinta national forest on the Wasatch unit in Utah. In three and a half days I saw 15 bulls and passed up shots at 8 different bulls before taking a 320" 6x6. Best hunt I've ever had.

Now if photobucket will just work I can share it here.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, some of these descriptions had me right there along side you guys. Thanks for that, as it is food for the soul, and by far my favorite passtime. We are truly a blessed bunch of hunters.

It is very hard for me to pick a favorite so I'll have to list 3:

Sonora, MX-some of the biggest mule deer on the planet, very desolate, and fantastic people. Nothing like the Sonora desert in January.

West Texas Sandhills--land of giant mule deer, tons of blue quail, fantastic people, A very unique environment. Private land makes it very inaccessible to just anybody, and I like that.

Namibia--a dizzying array of game, and high quality of people that live there. It is one of the most desolate places on earth. I cannot get enough of it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
I live in Fauquier County now but some of my fondest memories were fishing Stoney, Little Stoney and Passage Creek. We used to stay in a cabin near Basye and as kids would watch all the adult men drink whiskey, play cards and swear while my buddy and me hid in the loft sneaking cigarettes during the opening weekend of trout season. Loved deer and turkey hunting along North Mountain and camping at Wolf Gap and along the road over the mountain to WV. Damn that's going back to the mid 70's !
Still a great area , I still fish Stony quite a bit.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 73 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.