Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Is the boy in the traditionally accepted family situation?
I am not making any judgements by saying this but animals react to their environments
In the old school family unit a robust dog like a shepherd or an Australian cattle dog will excel but without an alpha male in the group a meeker dog would be far more adaptable.
A bit more info would go a long way towards getting good feedback.

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yellow lab

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Snyper
Go to a pound and let him pick his own dog.

This is about the dumbest fugking advice on here.

And there is a lot of dumb fugking advice on here.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by CCCC
It will spend a good bit of time in the house, and mom needs one that does not shed much hair and tends not to cause allergic reactions.

This dog can't be a tiny "yapper" but will be best if it is toward the smaller end of the scale and not inclined to try to escape. The boy will work very hard toward correct training and care of his dog, and simply love it for all he is worth.

I sure want this to work for them. If you'd like more info, just ask. There are a bunch of smart dog people on this site and I trust that you will have some very helpful info. Thanks.

I would not recommend a beagle for a first time dog owner. They are independent natured and can be a handful.

If allergies and hair are a concern, I wouldn't recommend a lab either.

On the larger end, a well bred standard poodle or labradoodle can be great kids dogs. They shed very little and their temperament is perfect.

On the smaller end a shih-tzu is a great companion dog. If it's gonna be around kids let it be raised around kids. These little dogs tend to be somewhat like the people they are around. Shih-tzus raised by little old ladies tend to act like little old ladies. Our shih-tzus ran and tussled with the rest of our dogs and grandkids. Had to keep our male away from cattle as he thought he was a cow dog. Our female had "hunt" in her and would dig moles and tree squirrels.
They are not generally yappy, but will raise the roof at strange sounds in the night.

Caveat; Any of the breeds I'm aware of that shed less and are better for allergy sufferers are long haired and need frequent grooming and trimming.

I hope it works out for you too...

JW seems to know something about dogs.

Schit Zoos can be great dogs.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I had a short legged rough coat jack russel dog. Great dog. He shed, but very little. Not much for barking.

If you had a JR that didn't shed you didn't have a JR. You had a mutt.

Travis

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Maybe a beagle??
I'm a beagle guy. Just love 'em. They're great family dogs with a strong "pack dog" instinct that connects to the family. They aren't overly aggressive, and will let you know if someone steps foot in their territory. That being said, they are escape artists, and like to run, and a little stubborn too. I could see this being an issue with a dog that stays outside 5 days a week. When I was growing up, we had them as kennel dogs, for hunting rabbits and pheasants. They kept digging out of the kennel. Dad tore the kennel apart three times and kept adding another row of cement blocks below ground. By the time he was done, he was 6 rows of blocks deep with a footer. Darned near had enough block down there to put in a foundation.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Easy fix - An 11 year old's puppy should not be in the back yard.
Your opinion, not the OP's.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Maybe a beagle??
I'm a beagle guy. Just love 'em. They're great family dogs with a strong "pack dog" instinct that connects to the family. They aren't overly aggressive, and will let you know if someone steps foot in their territory. That being said, they are escape artists, and like to run, and a little stubborn too. I could see this being an issue with a dog that stays outside 5 days a week. When I was growing up, we had them as kennel dogs, for hunting rabbits and pheasants. They kept digging out of the kennel. Dad tore the kennel apart three times and kept adding another row of cement blocks below ground. By the time he was done, he was 6 rows of blocks deep with a footer. Darned near had enough block down there to put in a foundation.

Sounds like a wonderful pet.

Why not just get a badger?

Dave

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A dog that doesn't slobber or smoke.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by hatari
Norwegian elkhound. I've had 4. Great family dogs, wonderful with kids, bonds tightly to family, love the outdoors. They wan to wrestle and play. Smart, loyal and a bit independent. Get 2 and they will play with each other when your son is at school. They are clean and without that "doggy" oder to them. They don't really dig or chew incessantly. Like it best if owner wrestles and plays with them . They love long walks and are good on a leash. They are attentive, and sensitive to reproach from the Master. They want to please, but are outgoing and independent at the same time. 40-5- pounds.

Only negative is they do shed, but the undercoat does not seem to trigger allergies in most sufferers.

(stock photos)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They look a lot like the Keeshond, and sounds like roughly the same weight too.

Same general family - Nordic Spitz. Elkhounds run slightly taller.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Standard poodle, Labradoodle or Soft-coated Wheaten terrier.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always liked an Airedale type terrier. The smaller welsh as well.

Standard schnauzer could be a great dog. The mini are good dogs as well but more than a bit yappy. Our little one doesn't shed a lick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

345 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 260madman, 46 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,600
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.