S
OK.
Tell us!

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Maybe this has been said - but couldn't you simply steel wool the existing finish to rough it up so it will accept a new finish coat.

Then just put a satin clear coat on it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by szihn
OK.
Tell us!

If that was directed at me I can tell you I have listed many on this forum. Use the search engine and you can find epoxy finishes and quickie finishes of several kinds for several sets of conditions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Can you walk on water too?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Can you walk on water too?

Only compared to some...

Well, like you, for instance...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I know where the stepping stones are............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
szihn,

Thanks for the reply. Don't let Sitka get your goat, there is more than one way to skin a cat particularly with period pieces. Sitka's method with epoxy is very good particularly with wet weather.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
He doesn't at all. He's nothing but words on a screen to me, or anyone that can read, and think for themselves.
May as well be on Mars as far as his effect on anyone goes.
Someone like him is amusing. "cyber-tuff" to the core".
Getting upset at words on a screen is not very wise.

I am however talking the challenge if I can.

I asked 4 gunshop mangers already to let me know if any customer wants any Browning or Weatherby stock stripped, ready to sand. If so I'll do it free.

I am going to make a vid to show those that really want to learn something and post the link. So far I have not come up with a doner. But the offer is out there.

I wish I had said "about 5 minutes" but I wrote "5 minutes" so I will try to get one stripped in that time. If I do I would not accept the "C note" he offered, but I doubt he'd stand good for it anyway.

If he does surprise me and stands good for the offer (and if I come in under the time limit) I'll have him donate the money to this forum. Now that I think of it, he did say he'd give me 30 minutes.
We'll see if his integrity is any better then his manors and understanding.
That remains to be seen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He doesn't at all. He's nothing but words on a screen to me, or anyone that can read, and think for themselves.
May as well be on Mars as far as his effect on anyone goes.
Someone like him is amusing. "cyber-tuff" to the core".
Getting upset at words on a screen is not very wise.

I am however talking the challenge if I can.

I asked 4 gunshop mangers already to let me know if any customer wants any Browning or Weatherby stock stripped, ready to sand. If so I'll do it free.

I am going to make a vid to show those that really want to learn something and post the link. So far I have not come up with a doner. But the offer is out there.

I wish I had said "about 5 minutes" but I wrote "5 minutes" so I will try to get one stripped in that time. If I do I would not accept the "C note" he offered, but I doubt he'd stand good for it anyway.

If he does surprise me and stands good for the offer (and if I come in under the time limit) I'll have him donate the money to this forum. Now that I think of it, he did say he'd give me 30 minutes.
We'll see if his integrity is any better then his manors and understanding.
That remains to be seen.

Wow! You really are special. Cyber-Tough? Laughing at you now.

You have to know your brag was total bullshit... especially when more than several experienced folks pointed out that five minutes is ridiculous. No way you can do a reasonable job in 30 either.

I did take the time to download some pictures of your work and enlarge it a bit. Found what I thought I would...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh please then....do tell.
laugh

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't feed the gunsmithing god, er troll that is. It makes his head swell, remember he's the best there is. Mere mortals musn't bruise his ego. Still waiting for the Youtube video he was supposed to be making, the one where he demonstrates his stock finishing voodoo.

Last edited by gunswizard; 12/17/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No no please....let him go on.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If for no other reason than the entertainment value, the guy's a real azzclown.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think szihn needs to make a video of him scraping a Browning epoxy finsih high gloss stock in 5 minutes. I hope a donor stock shows up from one of the local gun shops he has spoken with.

I cannot imagine a five minute scrap happening with the result being something you would want to own when it was done.

Last edited by stantdm; 12/20/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He will never attempt to make the video...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Prolly put you on ignore long ago.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
The top 2 rifles are made from Sugar maple. The way I do the finish is as follows.

Sand and whisker as you would on any rifle. Take the finish down to 400 or 600 grit depending on the density of the wood.

Next I stain. ALWAYS use alcohol base stand, NEVER oil based.

When the stain is completely dry I use 0000 steel wool to even out the surface.

Now the "secret"

Take boiled linseed oil and paint thinner and make a solution of both 50%/50%. Put that on the stained wood until it dripping wet and keep it dripping wet for 30 minutes. As it soaks in, put on more. You want this to penetrate the wood deeply. It will soak in so keep it as wet as you can. After 30 minutes take paper towels and dry it off.

Now set it in the window for 4-6 days in sunlight. Do nothing but turn it every day.

After it's cured you inspect it closely. Any small imperfection in the surface will show up clearly. Take the same 50%/50% mix and wet sand (with wet-or-dry paper) the imperfections out. Because you use alcohol based stain you can match the color after the wet sanding. Go over the stock and make sure it's all as perfect as you can make ti. When you are done re-stain the whole stock.

Up until this point everything you have done is for color, surface finish and detail. NOW comes the real finish.

I use Formbys or Gilispies Low Gloss Tung Oil.

Put it on thinly and let it cure 2 days between coats. After 2 days do it again. Use 0000 Steel Wool if you need to blend any of the coats. Keep doing that every two days and only use the steel wool every other coat, and then only if you see a need.

You just keep finishing the wood until there is nothing left to even out or coat. The stock will tell you when it's done.

Sometimes it takes 5-6 coats and sometimes it take 10-12 coats. Depends on the stock. You'll know when it done because you will not be able to find anything else to do.

The reason for the linseed base is that if ever you need to touch up the finish you can sand down to wood and re-apply the stain and get a color match through linseed.
If you put Tung directly on the stained wood the finish looks great but you will hate life if you ever try to make a color match through it because once Tung is cured no stain will go through it and give a color match.

THAT'S the reason for the linseed base coat.

I can appreciate anachronism in building replicas and old style ML rifles, so some of your finishing almost makes sense... but not much of it.

Does your finish look good? Probably, but that is mostly due to the incredibly forgiving oil finish.

Some time make a sample board with your thinned BLO on one side and unthinned on the other side. Cut it in two and take a look at it after letting it cure as fully as it will. As far as doing that to make the stain matchable... that is funny.

The two finishes you listed often have absolutely no tung oil in them. They are both good finishes in the glossy version, not good stock finish in the low luster version. They use silica in the finish to knock down the luster. That weakens the finish and dulls the appearance.

Make a sample board with the high gloss version and compare it to your finish. Getting the luster the way you like it is another step but you seem unconcerned about wasting time finishing, at least the rubbing out is something positive.

Steel wool went out as a suitable stock finishing aid a long time ago. Tiny particles of steel get stuck in the finish and can "bloom" with rust. Even if they do not rust they will impede luster.

I am not saying your finish does not look good, but it can easily be improved upon for both speed and appearance, guaranteed.

No comment on the scraping video?

gawd your such a cock......

post up some of your work champ.....

and don't show us "your" awesome sample boards
when we all know they are ones you got for free at home depot cause the min wax sales guy changed the finish display book and product line display advertising and you just happened to be their at the same time

assclown..............................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think szihn needs to make a video of him scraping a Browning epoxy finsih high gloss stock in 5 minutes. I hope a donor stock shows up from one of the local gun shops he has spoken with.

I cannot imagine a five minute scrap happening with the result being something you would want to own when it was done.

Agreed!
I am not put off by a skeptic. In fact I welcome them. If I try and fail, I'll fail in front of the camera. My offer to do the vid is still standing. I have to borrow the stock and also the camera and the man to shoot the vid, but I am hopeful I can do exactly that. The offer is already out there, and it's posted here. How long it will take to get this done I don't know, as I have not found a doner yet. My friend with the camera has already agreed however.

And renagade50, I would advise against calling him a cock.
That word is reserved for a male bird or something manly.

Being a man is not a function of having a penis. Heck, 50% of all dogs and rats have those, and they will never be men.

Being a man implies integrity and virtue.

I have not and probably will never meet him. As I said he's nothing but worthless words on a screen. But if I read those words it causes me (and a lot of others apparently) to doubt his integrity and virtue.

A man would give me a challenge as stantdm and a few other have. One made in openness and without insult.

The male in question here has no more to do in his life than to sit in front of a screen over (29,969 posts??!!??)
and try to irritate people, but he's not to be taken seriously.

That kind of tactic work well with dealing with children at about 4th grad level, but I have been out of grade school for a very long time. Let him play in the sand box by himself.

As for the skeptics, well I think I can be friends with them. They are acting like men and I will accept their challenge.
As men, if and when I prove my point I am sure I will get posts thanking me for the vid. Men do that kind of thing.
If I fail I will do so publicly and I will admit it.

Last edited by szihn; 12/21/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Agreed!
I am not put off by a skeptic. In fact I welcome them. If I try and fail, I'll fail in front of the camera. My offer to do the vid is still standing. I have to borrow the stock and also the camera and the man to shoot the vid, but I am hopeful I can do exactly that. The offer is already out there, and it's posted here. How long it will take to get this done I don't know, as I have not found a doner yet. My friend with the camera has already agreed however.

Being a man is not a function of having a penis. Heck, 50% of all dogs and rats have those, and they will never be men.

I have not and probably will never meet him. As I said he's nothing but worthless words on a screen. But if I read those words it causes me (and a lot of others apparently) to doubt his integrity and virtue.

A man would give me a challenge as stantdm and a few other have. One made in openness and without insult.

The male in question here has no more to do in his life than to sit in front of a screen over (29,969 posts??!!??)

That kind of tactic work well with dealing with children at about 4th grad level, but I have been out of grade school for a very long time. Let him play in the sand box by himself.

As for the skeptics, well I think I can be friends with them. They are acting like men and I will accept their challenge.
As men, if and when I prove my point I am sure I will get posts thanking me for the vid. Men do that kind of thing.

Sanctimonious much?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Agreed!

Sanctimonious much?

Sanctimonious much?

bwahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

if this isn't the pot trying to call the kettle black, than I don't know what is.

Last edited by renegade50; 12/22/16.
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BALLISTIK, BallisticBRYAN, 6 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,409
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.