Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rost495
Glad we did banff once, not sure I'd go again, but I damn sure am going to do the Cassiar once in my life, if I live that long.

Almost wears me out starting to think about driving up and back every year in the future... 5 day generally speaking would be rough. From here to Delta.

Maybe going to have to haul stuff up once or twice and leave the vehicles there and fly back a couple months in teh winters...

Everyone is different. I prefer the Cassiar to the main stem highway.

Went down empty in march on the Cassiar And came back with a 32' gooseneck on the main Alcan. As I said above, smooth but for a few spots where prudence says slow down.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Never been there

That's irrelevant!

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Towing a trailer from Tok cutoff to ~Kluane is brutal in spots. The north end of the cassiar is simply awesome. If you can find an excuse to drive to Haines, that's a beautiful stretch of road as well. I've towed a ~12000lb boat trailer down the cassiar with no trouble. Steep in places but little traffic. You'll want a good weight distributing hitch or you'll bounce around like a sonofagun on the heaves west of Kluane.

If not towing, expect ~44 hours of seat time between border at Blaine/Sumas and Anchorage. That's 3 pretty hard days.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We took the Marine Hwy one January going outside to Bellingham and went clear to San Diego and later drove back. Heavy winds (sore neck from rocking back and forth in the berth), rain, low skys every day, and absolutely glorious the whole way. More wildlife than I could imagine. Can't wait to do it again. Get a cabin since 4 nights and 5 days can get you ripe if you sleep on deck. There are showers available for those folks but my son said it wasn't worth the effort when he and his cousin took the ferry outside. The absolute best moment was when the radio announced it was -63 in Watson Lake at the time we would have been going through there had we driven. If you want to take the Marine Hwy get your reservations in the year before or it will be too full to take a car and have a cabin.

Last edited by batch; 12/15/16.

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by M1894
Last time ( only time ) was as a kid in the back seat of a super cab 350 with a camper on the back ( yes damnit , both ways ) . First 100 miles was paved , rest good hard dirt / gravel / whatever they used to bind it . 'Cept when it rained , 3" slop and hard road underneath.

Calcium chloride... great binder and relatively benign, but they resist it here in AK???

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnDog
Anyone every done the Alaska Maritime highway back on the return leg? Getting plans ready for a couple of years out. It would be great to some days on the ferry and land for a trip down the west coast. Could be a premier excursion.

John(dog)

Not wild about taking big rigs on the ferry... Would prefer to do it without the rig and stay in a stateroom with the money saved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by rost495
Glad we did banff once, not sure I'd go again, but I damn sure am going to do the Cassiar once in my life, if I live that long.

Almost wears me out starting to think about driving up and back every year in the future... 5 day generally speaking would be rough. From here to Delta.

Maybe going to have to haul stuff up once or twice and leave the vehicles there and fly back a couple months in teh winters...

Everyone is different. I prefer the Cassiar to the main stem highway.

Went down empty in march on the Cassiar And came back with a 32' gooseneck on the main Alcan. As I said above, smooth but for a few spots where prudence says slow down.

Prudence went with you?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Anybody ever drive it in the summer and check out fishing spots on the way?

Many times. Drug my little jet boat all over BC, YK, AB, NWT and AK.

Sometimes heading to AK the fishing sidetracked me and I never made to AK.

Awesome country............

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 705 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,449
Posts18,507,941
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.