Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I audit courses over there all the time...

Was over there a few days ago, hanging out...

some lady brought in some Subaru that she's had to multiple shops on top of the dealer over in Medford...

She had $800 + worth of receipts for all the "work" that has been spent on the 'problem' so far in the last month or so...

its an older Subie... say 2002 or 04 range...

The instructor turned it over to the students... put a scanner on it... found the problem.. verified it by showing the instructor, he concurred... ordered a $15 part....

that got dropped off in an hour... 5 minutes to put it on... reverified by putting it on the scan tool once again.. and instructor concurred....took it for a 5 minute road test... came back and re scanned... no issue...

called the lady up, to come back and pick it up...

$15 for the part and since she works at the college, no charge on labor...

Needless to say she was shocked...instructor told her, that the shops she had it to, probably could quickly figure it out... but they were just racking up a $75 to $80 an hour bill as far as they could, and not really addressing the problem... where the solution was, had nothing to do with where the shops bills had been futzing around with...

if anything else happens bring it back, they'll relook at it, and fix it again, at no charge except if any other parts are needed, but they don't view it will be needed to readdress that problem...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
bsa1917Hunter
Whoever called that piccolo player a piccolo player is a mother fu cker... Just sayin. 9 weeks in the shop and that "mechanic" is still taking stabs in the dark. Holy fu ck!!!
I have been having an on going problem with my 1988 4Runner. The Check Engine light keeps coming on. The code reader finds no codes, and even when it happens 'live' as in while driving, with a code reader hooked up, no info is forthcoming.
My mechanic is good, his equipment resources are good. His contacts with the local Toyota Dealer are good.
No one can figure it out. There seems to be no actual bad effects of the light coming on, but it's aggravating.
Two months now, and no solution. All the grounds have been double checked, and I am going nuts.

SAM,
Mine experiences the same problem.... won't show up on the code readers, but it depends on what type of code reader.. due to the age of the vehicle, so of the code readers on the market don't have the info in them to diagnose it...at least that is what I've been told multiple times...

On mine, it is the O 2 sensor.... mines been doing this for 150K +....doesn't really seem to effect any function I need...

The Oxy 2 sensors, are 1 wire for an 87 and some 88s... the rest of the 88s have a 4 wire sensor... cost to replace the 1 wire Oxy Sensor is under $40... the one for the 4 wire is over $100...

recently had mine checked at the college auto program, and they determined the Ox2 sensor...

when the weather gets cold enough, or I am at 5,000 ft altitude or more... mine always goes out...

comes back on, when I get below 3 to 4000 ft....

I don't have to deal with any inspections here, so I just run it...hasn't effected Schitt in 150K...

It's ALWAYS an O2 sensor, ain't it? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Its what has come up on mine.. but then considering its the only one that has ever been on there.. and came with the truck in Sept 1988... so is 29 years old and has 540,000 miles on it.....

yeah, I'd say the chances on mine being the 0/2 sensor is pretty good...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
my mechanic is a fishing and hunting buddy, so I seriously doubt he is not being conscientious. His main machine is a top of the line Snap On gizmo, complete with it's own computer and display. Drawers full of attachments.
My scan hookup point is under the hood, near the battery. His contact at the Toyota dealer is another of our 'sportsman' group, and an old buddy of mine. He always helps.
We put in a new O2 sensor a year back. My guy thinks its the MAF. Well over 350000 miles, on the original 28 year old part.
Truck goes into the shop Monday AM. I have to drive it to Miami Wed. He says it will be good to go. smile

Sam......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sam, I have a Hyundai Sonata that was giving similar symptoms. No codes popping up, but running erratically. Finally after flogging the car around, it popped a MAF code. Dealer wanted $671 for one. I bought a remanufactured one for $140 and all has been good.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Put some Sea Foam in it

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Ran a can through with the first tank of gas after I bought it in Oct, as propfiylaxis.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
The new mechanic had the truck in his shop at 8:00 AM. It was running by 11:00 AM.

The timing chain had jumped eight teeth on the sprocket. Don't ask me how!
It is an interference engine, so the head will come off. New valves, and new timing set, estimate is $1250 and a couple more days in the ahop.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I read and considered every one. Many I researched further. I learned more about this motor in the last few weeks than I have in thirty years of owning and working on them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Been following but it's been a while. How many miles? Sound like the timing chain tensioner gave up and let the chain slip.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had the Timing chain in a 22R come completely off, ended up buying a new head.
Picked a great place to do it too, about 5 miles of dirt road from Lost Valley Reservoir.

Glad to hear they figured it out.

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Have you checked to see if your rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal on your distributor?
Crank your engine by hand until the #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, your rotor will point to the terminal if your timing chain is ok
youtube for directions, good luck.

If your toyota wont fire check the timing chain first, it only takes a few minutes and will save alot of bs. I just did 2 different chains on 2 toyotas I have here, the plastic guides are a bad idea and if they are available get the steel guides, your mechanic will know all about it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Holey Moley! With all the computers and such, it's easy to take the nuts and bolts for granted. PHEW! Now I can sleep at night...I imagine it's like an early Christmas present. Stuff like this drives me bonkers! Heck, I believe I would celebrate!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
with regards to my old 4Runner, it may be fixed. lol
New fuel filter, sealed an air leak in the MAF sensor housing. They were able to get a code that indicated the truck was running lean. Made some adjustments.
Three days now, with no check engine light. Truck runs fine.

Sam......

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
with regards to my old 4Runner, it may be fixed. lol
New fuel filter, sealed an air leak in the MAF sensor housing. They were able to get a code that indicated the truck was running lean. Made some adjustments.
Three days now, with no check engine light. Truck runs fine.
Can't have an air leak! Sure feels good to have that darn light off, I bet!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You mean it wasn't a ground issue ? Wow.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good to hear. Don't use the diesel mechanic anymore on the Toyota!

I don't understand how it could be 'purring like a kitten' and off by 8 teeth!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The folks that made interference engines needs to be shot.

Had one car that jumped time and it cost me a new head and about 3 weeks of crap.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
It was purring like a kitten, before the bad battery cable took out the ECM.

Somewhere in the interim, the cam jumped time.

I might have let my foot out on the clutch, while towing, with the tranny in reverse. That was 11 weeks ago, but I have a vague memory that I might have spun the engine backward.

The timing chain was just beginning to rub on the cover, so it has not wiped out the head or block yet.

The mechanic has the new timing set in hand with steel guides. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

He called today, 4 bent intake valves, and the head is warped 10/1000s. So it is at the machine shop now for planing, and new valves.

Should be back on the road early next week. Momma will be happy to have her car back while I am at work!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hope he checked the pistons for cracks. kissing valves is bad.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
It was purring like a kitten, before the bad battery cable took out the ECM.

Piss poor electrical design if a bad battery takes out the ECM, just like Fords piss poor design when bad coils on the Escape would sometimes take out the ECM.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,628 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.