Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Yes or no?

More like, "why"? If the answer is "because", then run, screaming, into the night. A good deal ain't always a good deal.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
At an old employer, we had a chance to quote on making the 6.4's engine oil cooler, but our engineering group looked at it and wanted nothing to do with it; they felt it was a marginal situation. They didn't have enough room for the cooler, to sufficiently cool the oil.

I think Ford was pushing International to increase power while still meeting the emissions, with a smaller engine than the 7.3's. International being a somewhat quirky, conservative company, I think Ford probably pushed them out of their envelope. Probably why Ford now makes their own Powerstroke motor.

The 6.0 is what fouled the agreement between ford and IH.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by exbiologist
No,
Mine was a real PITA. First noticed something wrong when ascending a slow uphill mountain road and the truck overheated. Was not towing.
Ford dealer said thermostat problem so replaced it. Did it again when doing a different mountain road and Ford said the fan clutch no worky. Fixed that too. Towed a 29 foot 5th wheel after that and it survived and had plenty of power.
But all that time I noticed it was trying to burn the soot in the filter more frequently than I thought it should.
Until....I took the 5th wheel on a much longer drive, up into the mountains a few hundred miles away, pretty tough drive with major several passes. When I got there I noticed she was making a squealing sound. Turns out I blew a head gasket. In talking with a private mechanic, not from Ford (who offered to do the job for $7K or $19k for new motor), sounded like the DPM wasn't cleaning out properly, which backed up everything else, causing the overheating on the front end. Replaced that and sold the truck to a dealer. Had it maybe a year, downsized to a 5.0L Ford F150 and am happy. Dumped the trailer too.

Reads like 6.0 stories.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
7.3!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Local dealer had a 08 f250 4x4 crew cab with 80,000 miles priced around $19,000..

Anyhow story time back in 2008 friend bought a brand new 08 f250 with the new 6.4 diesel.. I go over to his house I noticed oil leaking from his new truck. I asked him your truck leaking oil he goes yeah.. fast forward month later hey what happened with your truck, he goes ford found the turbos were leaking and they need to pull the cab to fix it. He was seeing red, truck had 5,000 plus miles. The dealer worked with him and he got another truck

Last edited by 79S; 12/16/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 2004 version in a 350 crew cab long bed manual 6-speed 4x4. Did the coolant/EGR cooler/oil cooler thing at about 100K and am now at around 145K. Does about 21 to 22 mpg. Given the scarcity of manual trannies, I will run this one until it drops. I'm still happy with this one.

A buddy with a newer version (2015) running the automatic tranny is getting similar mileage.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/16/16.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a 2006 6.0 knowing the issues they had and getting the truck for a price I could afford some upgrades. At 100k I did studs/gaskets/Egr delete/stc fitting/bluespring/oil cooler. Now have 140k on it and love to drive it. I don't haul much, but when I do am glad to have it. Prices on 6.0s aren't falling like they used to because the problems are now known and it's easier and cheaper to correct these mistakes than it is on some of the newer ones.

My daily driver to work is a Honda Civic. It too lost a head gasket. The difference is I could do that fix in my driveway. Everybody touts Honda reliability, but do some digging and you see they all have faults. Head gaskets on my particular Honda were a common failure.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
Local dealer had a 08 f250 4x4 crew cab with 80,000 miles priced around $19,000..

Anyhow story time back in 2008 friend bought a brand new 08 f250 with the new 6.4 diesel.. I go over to his house I noticed oil leaking from his new truck. I asked him your truck leaking oil he goes yeah.. fast forward month later hey what happened with your truck, he goes ford found the turbos were leaking and they need to pull the cab to fix it. He was seeing red, truck had 5,000 plus miles. The dealer worked with him and he got another truck

That had to be the valley dealer and not Cal.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 79S

That had to be the valley dealer and not Cal.

Cal is no more it's all Kendall ford now.. but it was the Kendall ford dealer here in wasilla

Last edited by 79S; 12/16/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks everybody. My last one was 2005 6.0 that I had no problems with 'til my best friend talked me out of it at 230K. I need another one to tow my big boat. 6.4's are cheap and I know there has to be a reason.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
my 6.4 has been 100% reliable for 160K , but the key is its been DPF deleted for over 100000 miles. there are plenty of them around with well over 200000

its an amazing starter in the cold , firing up at sub zero temps like a GOOD gas motor

I do believe it will run a good long time yet , if I can avoid the poison pill for any common rail diesel...a dose of water in the fuel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
128k miles, 2002 7.3L, complete Banks system, including a "Jake brake" in a F350 crew cab, long bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I offered to buy that from you, Splat, but you would NOT consent! smile Those are solid trucks, but I'm happy with my 6.0. Sure, they are a bit complex, but NOTHING like the new ones. After Ram bought back my 2013 Cummins for being a POS, I learned just how bad the new diesels were getting. I suppose if you're just running one through the warranty period they are OK. but they can kill the pocket book very quickly for even the small stuff. But they tow like nobody's business....

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never had a diesel in my personal fleet. Reading this makes me think I made the right choice.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/PSD_common/what_year_powerstroke_is_best.asp

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
128k miles, 2002 7.3L, complete Banks system, including a "Jake brake" in a F350 crew cab, long bed.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tell me about your air filter setup, I just noticed a crack in the filter housing in my 2002 F250 7.3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
its an amazing starter in the cold , firing up at sub zero temps like a GOOD gas motor

I haven't driven or started my '11 6.7L since 11/27, it's been sitting outside that whole time with the last 4-5 days having ambient lows below 0. Decided to take it today to runs some errands and get at least some #1 into the tank. -10F ambient, not plugged in, straight #2 with some FPPF Total Power additive that I always add and it fired up like I'd driven it yesterday.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gwrench
I've never had a diesel in my personal fleet. Reading this makes me think I made the right choice.

http://powerstrokehelp.com/PSD_common/what_year_powerstroke_is_best.asp

A diesel is not the right choice unless you need it's unique capabilities. If you have heavy loads frequently or do a lot of long haul drives they are good, but these engines just aren't designed for puttering around town.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.