Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by bea175
The so called shortage did what it was intended to do, jack up the prices on all rimfire ammo

Exact amundo !

Clear your cards, folks; we have a BINGO!

So just to be clear, you believe the manufacturers slowed production in order to drive up prices?

So following that logic they lost millions in sales in order to drive up prices?

Hmmm, having a hard time wrapping my head around that.

The same tactic was used to jack up gas prices and it never came back down.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, and such things as seasonal change-over in formulation, hurricanes in the Gulf, and Chinese consumption all have just as great an effect on .22lr as they did on gasoline.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone

So just to be clear, you believe the manufacturers slowed production in order to drive up prices?

So following that logic they lost millions in sales in order to drive up prices?

Not. Not at all. People were and are buying them. The Federal Ammunitoin plant in Anoka, MN couldn't hire enough people our build a line fast enough to produce for the demand. They couldn't economically add another line or to production because when the shortage was out, they'd be out the money and have an idle line.

It was supply and demand, but I don't see the prices going back down.
I actually think they will, but it'll take another couple years..

Last NRA show I went to in St. Louis the Remington reps said they weren't taking any more orders for .22 ammo and were (at that time) SIX YEARS out on production... Geez..

And that was in 2012..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by bea175
The so called shortage did what it was intended to do, jack up the prices on all rimfire ammo

Exact amundo !

Clear your cards, folks; we have a BINGO!

Obama had to be at the heart of it. Someplace deep at the sea bottom are billions of rounds of 22. Can't prove it, but I believe it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Anyone waiting for prices to go back where they were, is done shooting. That won't happen. Virtually NO prices stays static for 8 years. I'm glad things are leveling off, but when the prices go back down, I'll start buying RF ammo again to get ready for the next go around.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Was in a Walmart the other morning and a lady in the sportings good section ASKED ME IF I NEEDED ANY 22???? A CLERK ASKING ME! As what she had and it was a winchester 1000 round pack. My stuff prefers Federals and I already have 4 times as much as I used to keep. But think about it....a clerk asking me if I needed 22!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Was in a Walmart the other morning and a lady in the sportings good section ASKED ME IF I NEEDED ANY 22???? A CLERK ASKING ME! As what she had and it was a winchester 1000 round pack. My stuff prefers Federals and I already have 4 times as much as I used to keep. But think about it....a clerk asking me if I needed 22!

Musta had your tight fittin' jeans on, huh?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blush, well I do not want to brag!!!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is 7¢ a round for Auto Match good, bad, or indifferent?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Is 7¢ a round for Auto Match good, bad, or indifferent?

If you're needing ammo it's not bad, but certainly not great.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It surely isn't the 2¢ that I was paying back in the 90's for that Czech Hanson stuff that I liked so well. Wouldn't it be nice to get back to that!?

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 12/19/16.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When Trump makes America great again, copper prices will likely rise substantially.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Its not even close to over. I still cant go to a store and buy 22lr ammo at will like I used to. Most of the stuff that does show is that garbage remington crap

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Havent seen 22 ammo at any walmart in almost couple years now

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The Wal-mart in Idaho Falls had 22 ammo behind the counter but it was all target grade 10 or 12¢a round stuff. I think my personal level is 5¢ before I'll buy in.

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The news has yet to reach east-central Iowa.

Still no .22 ammo at our local Walmart. It's still over priced at the gunshow last weekend and still over priced and little selection at the Sportsman's Warehouse in town. Don't bother asking for .22 magnum.

Some of us are still waiting for fairly priced and available .22 ammo.

My guess is someone is waiting for Mr. Obama to leave town before we will see it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
The Wal-mart in Idaho Falls had 22 ammo behind the counter but it was all target grade 10 or 12¢a round stuff. I think my personal level is 5¢ before I'll buy in.

5¢ would be great, I've bit when it hit 7¢.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
until I can walk into Walmart and buy bulk 22 blasting ammo at a reasonable price the shortage isn't over for me.
I'm having better luck getting ammo here and there but it's still ridiculous.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In another thread, Mule Deer said that a lot of the super-cheap ammo from days gone by was sold at a loss to promote the other offerings from the same manufacturer. Can't expect them to sell at a loss when they can sell all they make and more, or add capacity to meet a temporary demand driven by panic buying and speculators.

I'm content paying $.08 -$.10 a round for good ammo like MiniMags and a lot more for premium hunting ammo. Got no use for crappy bulk at all, at any price.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Read this thread earlier, had to snort a little. Went to the usual outlets online and found quite a bit of .22 RF ammo available. Low end was .07/rd, high was up around .43/rd for some sort of high end Federal match crap.

There were still many brands/types unavailable.

I can and do load small cap cases with cast bullets for less and it's available when I want it.

.22 Hornet: 159 bullets/ pound of lead or .63 cent/bullet. 3500 shots/pound of powder(~.86 cent/shot) and a .03 primer. Today's prices for a homemade .22RF substitute that comes in for less than a nickel/rd. The .25-20 costs about 6 cent per with a fair bit more snap than a rimfire. The .45 flinter is about .12 cents per shot and deer rated.

I don't see the problem. If a fella was wanting the market to settle just follow a different path for a spell. Times are coming when RF prices will tank and availability go way up.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,144
Posts18,484,119
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.