Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My commute is 20 minutes and 3/4 of it on the highway. If I slow down to 70mph I will get run over by everyone rushing to work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Flyer01
I live where it can be very cold in the winter, and heated shelter for vehicles it not always available. I will not move a vehicle that is parked outside in minus 40 weather without first warming it up . Living in Chicago I doubt if the author truly understands what it's like to live in a area in North America where it's extremely cold for any length of time.

F

How long before the tires get round? smile

You really are old...ain't ya.... wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
I live where it can be very cold in the winter, and heated shelter for vehicles it not always available. I will not move a vehicle that is parked outside in minus 40 weather without first warming it up . Living in Chicago I doubt if the author truly understands what it's like to live in a area in North America where it's extremely cold for any length of time.

F

3-6 weeks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bias tires on the old two piece rims. On the 72 Chevy they never get round.

I dont have a timer on anything, but I really should do that.

Any given time I might have 6 or 7 outfits plugged in.

What would an average be? 1000 watts a piece?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The guy who wrote this clearly does not know what cold weather really is. When I lived in interior Alaska you couldn't even see safely out the windshield unless a diesel ran for 20 min with the high idle engaged, and it took me about 5 miles for the diesel to get warm enough to feel warm heat (not hot) coming out of the dash. Add to that the flinstone effect, and your own personal comfort in extreme cold temps, no way to operate a truck parked overnight in the cold without warming it up for good bit. Remote command starts were a blessing and block heaters, oil pan heaters, tranny pan heaters etc only insured that the truck WOULD start.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I jump in the car almost straight from the shower. If it's cold, the windshield gets frosted up, on both sides. I run out in my boxers, start the car, shower, dress, fly to work.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by HitnRun
This phenomenon hasn't yet been discovered in Montana, as thousands of people every day start their cars/trucks and leave them running to warm up. Failure rate of these burned up engines, hasn't manifested itself yet.

Same result in Saskatchewan

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hell, the hydraulics dont work until you let them warm a while.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What kind of chit oil is the OP using?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The engine analyst that is the basis for this should have more sense than that. His premise is that a cold engine is richer by the fueling curve until it warms up which is true, but he takes it too far into saying that it fuel washing the cylinders clean of the lubrication thus creating premature wear.

This would be only the case if there was an excessive amount of unburnt fuel which isn't the case otherwise the engines would be way too rich to idle properly. Plugs would foul, O2 sensors would go bad, or other things in the case of diesels way before the cylinders would prematurely wear.

The evidence that he is full of crap is exactly what people are reporting here. Hundreds of thousands of miles on engines that were routinely warmed up "improperly" according to the analyst.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Damn Sam, when did they start putting alarm clocks on dem block heaters? When my wife gets in her Jeep she is 100 yards down the driveway before the starter motor stops spinning.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
This sounds like it was written by the same enviro nazis whom promote global warming. His science is just about as convincing.

Sure, a rig parked in the Phoenix sun during late July does not really need much warming before hitting the open road.

The one parked overnight at minus 20 degrees is a different story. All those dissimilar metals in the engine have different expansion coefficients.

The rods and caps fit the crank journals properly at operating temp. At minus 20, not so much. Main bearings, cam journals, valve tolerances, are all temp sensitive.

Thanks, but I will baby my engine for at least the time it takes for the windows to defrost. Fortunately, in my situation, the rig is pretty well warmed up by the time I get to the first paved road. The tach does not see two grand untill I am a mile from the house. Then I have another four mile at 35 mph.

The rig is warmed thoroughly by the time I hit I84 and 80 mph.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by tzone
I ain't buyin it. It warms the oil, allowing it to flow better. Call me crazy but I put the trans in neutral too so the fluid warms and moves freely before I put it in gear.

If it is an automatic, leave it in gear with the brakes on and bring it up on the converter for a few seconds. That will bring the trans temp up much quicker. We do that on our race cars because we want the driveline temps brought up to the same point each round for consistency.

Well when it's -20 and you put your trans in "D" it's VERY hard on it because the fluid is heavy. Often times it will slam into gear if it's cold.

Camp is where you make it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

F

Sometimes it was a half a mile or so. Anyone who has driven in extreme cold knows the thump, and the frozen feel of the seat.

No Chit 1995 in Winnipeg we had a cold spell when at night it was -46 C inside my attached insulated garage. We had to plug in the block heaters in our vehicles to ensure they started . It was -65c with the windchill.

F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When it's sub zero, I am going to warm up that engine. Going to high RPMs to accelerate or keep up with those on the road with a cold engine is not a good thing.

1Minute
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RS308MX
I think most people warm their car for their own comfort and are not thinking about the engine.

That be me!

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Duramax has high idle where it actually engages the transmission and puts a load on the engine to warm up faster. It also holds the first couple of gears longer in the cold to promote warm up when driving. It feels like you are hurting the engine when you are driving like there is an egg under the pedal and the darn thing won't up shift but I suppose the engineers know what they are doing. It does warm the engine and transmission much faster when high idle is engaged in cold weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
This sounds like it was written by the same enviro nazis whom promote global warming. His science is just about as convincing.

Exactly! "Stephen Ciatti, a mechanical engineer who specializes in combustion engines at the Argonne National Laboratory" is obviously tripping on the global warming/anti-oil KoolAid.

It is a shame that this bald-faced fraudulent scheme for forcing international taxation has infected even the once unassailable Argonne National Lab.

"When your engine is cold, the gasoline is less likely to evaporate and create the correct ratio of air and vaporized fuel for combustion." Sure. But when the fuel/air ratio is enriched to the point that it will ignite, that excess gasoline is darned well going to evaporate in the resulting 3000 degree burn of the charge.

"Even though warm air generated by the radiator will flow into the cabin after a few minutes, idling does surprisingly little to warm the actual engine." First of all, if you are feeling warm air from the radiator you are in the engine compartment not the cab! And you will get heat out of the heater long before the thermostat sends any warm water through the radiator. But more obviously, if you are getting warm air from the heater then the greater portion of the engine must be at least equally warm. Where does this frigging idiot think the warmth comes from?

"Carburetors... don't have sensors that tweak the amount of gasoline when it's cold out. As a result, you have to let older cars warm up before driving or they will stall out." Why is the bi-metallic strip that opens the choke as it absorbs heat from the engine not a "sensor that tweaks the amount of gasoline when it's cold"? And if it allows the cold engine to stall, it isn't adjusted properly!

If Stephen Ciatti is a mechanical engineer then I'm a wang dang doodle!

Last edited by GunReader; 12/23/16.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live in North Pole Alaska...No Way i'm leaving the drive till my car warms about 15 minutes. My block heater starts the process about two hours before I go out to start the engine.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I start my truck early to defrost the windows. By the time they're clear, the engine is warmed up, and it's toasty inside.

Of course, it rarely gets much below the teens here, we've been at 14 but it's still early.
Dunno what the winter will be like, but I AM enjoying the heated seats that I didn't know it had when I got it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.