Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I follow this guy's blog and receive his emails. He gives you a heads up when good bourbons are released and gives ETA's by state on some.

An article recently added to his blog about Booker's.

“Value is a perception, not a calculation”

For those that have been living under a rock in the bourbon world for the last 24 hours here’s the deal. Friday, Beam Suntory confirmed a rumor that Booker’s will now be priced at $100 a bottle. It will also drop from six releases a year to four. I mentioned this in my Friday wrap-up but at that point, I thought it was nothing more than a rumor. Unfortunately, it was true. Before I dive into my thoughts on Beam’s decision it’s worth giving Chuck and Fred a read.

Is Beam being greedy? It’s hard to call this move anything but greedy. But, as Chuck pointed out, this isn’t a non-profit. Beam Suntory is a massive international company. This was an accountant (as an accountant I’d liked to blame the marketing department) move. Not a Master Distiller decision. They’re basically saying “we see people paying $100 for x, y & z. Why wouldn’t they pay that for Booker’s.” From that point of view, I can at least understand. I think moving Booker’s from six to four releases is a good idea. I also get a ton of requests from people asking for a bottles suggestion in the $100 range.

After hearing this news I started to count the number of times I’ve mentioned Booker’s as a bourbon you should buy. There were far too many to count. Anytime someone asks me for a suggestion for something to buy, I say Booker’s. It’s always the first bottles I think of when someone says they can’t find a certain limited edition bourbon. Why not save yourself some time and money and just buy Booker’s. That’s why I refer to this as the death of a bourbon generation. We’ve seen price increases before. Dropped age statements have become normal. There’s something a more incendiary about doubling the price of a product and dropping its supply. Especially, when it’s a product you love.

2016-05-09-17-14-41
Master Distiller Fred Noe at the Booker’s Roundtable I attended
There are a lot of smart people at Beam. I have no doubt that they researched and tested (probably with Booker’s rye) before making this move. I also know that there are a lot of Beam reps that were left in the dark about this decision. Some finding out the same way we did. Beam sees the broader whiskey market. The amount they’ll lose from bourbon nerds they’ll make up in new drinker’s that will be oblivious to the change. Does anyone remember when Elijah Craig 18 was $45?!

Maker’s Mark dropping their proof was the only other rival to Booker’s price in regards to a public outcry. The pushback has been loud and unanimous. Could Beam change their mind? Maybe. If they do, this will be the greatest marketing stunt of all time. Booker’s is currently flying off of the shelf. I talked with one retailer that sells about 10 bottles of Booker’s a year. His shelf was wiped clean of six bottles yesterday. I think that’s part of the confusion. Booker’s isn’t a bottle that flies off of the shelf and has allocation issues. It sits on most shelves 2-3 releases deep in most places. That’s the beauty of it. Now, if Beam announces a repeal of the pricing change in a few weeks they just pushed through all of their old inventory in time for the new year. Just a thought.

While I don’t agree with Beam’s decision, I still love Booker’s. Thankfully, I’ve loved Booker’s for a long time and have a well-stocked supply. Personally, I don’t think I’ll be paying $100 anytime soon.

Lot of good info what to buy OTHER THAN Booker's here.

http://bourbonr.com/blog/death-of-a-bourbon-generation/

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are we boycotting Beam and Bookers now?

Add it to the list!!!! laugh

Merry Christmas Greg!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not worth $100 a bottle to me. If I see a bottle at old pricing though guess I'll buy it.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Could be.

Beam just entered into a new contract with their union opponent. Very costly. Probably marketing though.

Back in the day. W.T Samuels change the name, changed the bottle,tripled the price, same whiskey,then called it Makers Mark.

Sales went through the roof.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beam is also now Japanese owned. You'll see lots more of this in the next 3 years as well most bottles taking on the nas label. That's already happening with top brands like Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig and others.

Boycott!! eek

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by byc
Beam is also now Japanese owned. You'll see lots more of this in the next 3 years as well most bottles taking on the nas label. That's already happening with top brands like Eagle Rare, Elijah Craig and others.

Boycott!! eek

You hit the nail on the head, David.

Here are a few alternative suggestions from one of the commenters.

So if I am looking for a barrel strength bourbon, there are several excellent choices in the $50-$70 price range including Four Roses Private Selection, Barrell Bourbon, Elija Craig Barrel Proof, and George T Stagg.

I'll go with one or several of these or others before I'll buy any more Booker's at $100 a bottle.

Beam (Japanese) can kiss my ass.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Market share opportunity of an up and coming distillery.

Accountants always end up milking a brand until it's value is gone, and they never understand why it happens.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like good bourbon. I've had a lot of good bourbon. And I've never had 'any' that I'd pay 100 bucks a bottle for.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Store brand will get you just as drunk.Same hangover as the top shelf brand.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I like Four Roses but it is owned by Kirin.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/con...-s-bourbon-brands-owned-foreign-n370486.

I like Woodford Reserve (or Dickel Rye if you can stomach a TN version).

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Try Larceny. Comes with a hint of "Old Fitzgerald". Heaven Hill owns the brand. A most excellent product, at a decent price. If you can find any.

Sam......

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Jack Daniels.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Try Larceny. Comes with a hint of "Old Fitzgerald". Heaven Hill owns the brand. A most excellent product, at a decent price. If you can find any.

Costco had Larceny. Almost grabbed one. Dang.

Thanks Sam!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bought a bottle of Four Roses single barrel and it was very drinkable.

Went back to get another and none was to be found, also no Booker's, no Craig. I asked what the heck was up and was told a story that I've heard on 3 different occasions now. The guy said they were using a lot of the low and mid-priced bourbon to make that fireball shcit. The first time I heard it I said BS, but who knows.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Holidays!! The shelves will be re-stocked in 2 weeks.

Go Nats!!!!

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Guess I'll have to stay with my "Turkey 101" or Knob Creek. I haven't been able to get Eagle Rare at the base package store in a year or so.

Now if my brother happens to have Bookers in his liquor cabinet when we go over for Christmas, I may just have to sample it. laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buffalo Trace and don't look back

Carpe' Scrotum
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Old Grand Dad BIB, or Black Label.

For Christmas time it is single barrel.

Kind of funny to me that this guy has people ask him all the time which 100 dollar bottle to buy.

Do they really like 100 dollar stuff, or do they just like to tell people the bottle cost 100 bucks?

Some people like to spend 5 dollars, some like to spend 10.

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Another vote for Knob Creek. Single barrel for gifts. Still way under $100.00

Old Grand Dad Bonded for even less money.

My taste buds for Wine has gone up to about $12.00

Inflation.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Steve
Buffalo Trace and don't look back

Any Bourbon from Buffalo Trace Distillery is most likely gonna be great. Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace are my favorites.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.