Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes my 6.8 is sighted in at 100 yards, was just wondering if there was a simple solution. I need a crossbow scope on an AR-15.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TWR
The problem is the offset of the shot up close not the fit or cheek weld.

A bolt gun with a 1.5" above bore scope will shoot 1.5" low at 5 yards. The AR will shoot another inch lower due to a higher mounted scope.

I understand that, but if you can't see through the scope it doesn't matter much how high above the bore that it is.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
today shot under an armadillo when the wires were on his back at 10 feet, bullet grazed his lower quarters. I guess it is working fine

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Last year I shot a big doe at almost point blank range from a tripod stand I was hunting. The bullet hit a bit low in her shoulder necessitating a second shot.

Your 104 is designed for the m4 platform @ 1.5-inch above rail. Difference between that, and the ultra low @ .875-inch, is 5/8th of an inch. At almost point blank range, if you centered the scope over the vitals of a big doe, I do not believe the LT104 would have the bullet leave the muzzle low enough so that you'd miss the vitals. If operator error results in a shot that misses the vitals low at almost point blank range, 5/8th of an inch from the ultra lows would be of little help.

We can argue the differences in USMC/Tactical zeros for making CQB CNS brain shots. But, hitting or missing the ginormous vitals of a big doe at almost point blank range, even at tripod angles, has little to do with your base zero techniques being 25, 50, 100, or 200. Think about your angles, visualize the vitals, and shoot for exits.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
You may be right, I just seem to do better with a bolt gun and talley mediums these days. I am sure that I don't shoot enough drills close up, I shoot mostly at 50 100 yards, then crap always happens under my feet.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Last year I shot a big doe at almost point blank range from a tripod stand I was hunting. The bullet hit a bit low in her shoulder necessitating a second shot.

Your 104 is designed for the m4 platform @ 1.5-inch above rail. Difference between that, and the ultra low @ .875-inch, is 5/8th of an inch. At almost point blank range, if you centered the scope over the vitals of a big doe, I do not believe the LT104 would have the bullet leave the muzzle low enough so that you'd miss the vitals. If operator error results in a shot that misses the vitals low at almost point blank range, 5/8th of an inch from the ultra lows would be of little help.

We can argue the differences in USMC/Tactical zeros for making CQB CNS brain shots. But, hitting or missing the ginormous vitals of a big doe at almost point blank range, even at tripod angles, has little to do with your base zero techniques being 25, 50, 100, or 200. Think about your angles, visualize the vitals, and shoot for exits.

Yup. Same for that armadillo; the sight offset just isn't that much, unless it's a tiny baby armadillo. Sounds like shooter error, not a gun problem.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't agree it's totally shooter error, it sucks to have the bullet 3 inches low out of the barrel in my opinion. My ruler says 2.75 inches above bore to center of reticle. It is possible to hit a Dillo low when holding the cross wires on his back.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Gary I mostly shoot shoulders about 3-4 inches below the spine.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
But again nothing is perfect, and the AR guns do a good job for most applications. My comments are academic only.

May buy a Browning BAR whistle or another Benelli R1 crazy

Last edited by jimmyp; 01/01/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary I mostly shoot shoulders about 3-4 inches below the spine.

Best advice I could give:

Do not look at the deer, and the shot presentation, in the terms of two dimensional, with the vital area on the visible outside of the deer, like a deer target. Think of the chest cavity like a basketball. A perfect shot through the interior dead center, could enter and exit at any point on the entire surface, depending on which way the ball is turned.

The best way to visualize the interior dead center of the three dimensional vitals, is the technique of shooting for the exit. When doing this, even if you don't account for the 2.75-inch gap between your scope center and bore at muzzle, that gap at the muzzle is not large enough to miss the vitals.

Think about it. If you could have frozen that large doe in place, climbed down from the tripod, and held the muzzle against the deer at the same angle, using the scope to line up with the interior dead center of the vitals, the bullet out the muzzle would still go through the vitals and kill the deer dead. Every foot you back away, that 2.75-inch gap will reduce. That tiny gap is not big enough to miss such a large object inside a big doe.

I believe you aimed for the entrance, not taking into account the angle and the exit. And just like scoring rings on a 3-D target, you can hit the outer 10-point scoring ring, but in reality, depending on shot angle, that could be a horrible shot on a real deer when the shot must pass through the deer to strike vitals. Visualize and aim for exit.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I don't agree it's totally shooter error, it sucks to have the bullet 3 inches low out of the barrel in my opinion. My ruler says 2.75 inches above bore to center of reticle. It is possible to hit a Dillo low when holding the cross wires on his back.

There was a guy who had problems with that at a rifle class I attended recently; he earned the nickname "Offset". Sounds like you're working to earn that too. It's common to forget the offset if you don't shoot very often at close range, but don't blame the gear for it.

It really is a software problem, not a hardware problem. If you know about the offset, you can learn to work around it. With most AR15 mounts, your sight height/offset should be ~2.65". Now you know.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/01/17.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
While I try and shoot at least once a week, it's hard to accept the judgement of someone who has never seen me shoot based solely on an argument and discussion about lowering a scope to be closer to the bore line, thank you all for the feedback. Ideally they would be closer in my opinion just sayin is all.

The trouble with the internet is that people get worked up when someone questions the common rational. Yes I admit when 3 deer flew up under my stand I shot low and made a mistake a year ago, but I killed and ate the deer anyway. Forgive me for asking and bringing up a discussion topic here. It is apparent that no one thinks the low scope mounts are a good idea. Just so that we are clear I am not an operator nor pretend to be one on the internet, but I am often not on the couch and often in the woods or at the range with a rifle or pistol in my hands.

I shot this one the Saturday after thanksgiving at about 80 yards walking, no offset was required and I kind of know where to shoot a deer after having done it a couple of times. again thanks for all the feedback on the low scope mounts.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use low rings on all my bolt guns and clearly understand the concept. It's just that an AR is not a bolt gun and getting my jug head down low enough to see through the scope with low rings on an AR isn't possible so I live with the 2.7" center over bore and work with it.

I don't see the need for offset sights like in 3 gun when I can learn to aim high and as I stated, the 100 meter zero reinforces the concept because you aim high, aim on and aim high again. Forget all the nonsense of aim high, aim on, aim low then aim high again. But I'm not sure if the 6.8 trajectory will work like the 5.56 will.

I think it's a good topic and may get a few people to thinking then maybe shooting.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Our local 3-gun club held a stage designed to teach this. They had several targets set at range (200-300 yds.) followed by mini-clay targets set at about 5 yards. It was a real opener.

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1234, 54 invisible), 3,163 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,665
Posts18,534,104
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.