Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ok can you have a CDS custom turret retrofitted to any Leupold or specific models? If not which models? Thanks and Merry Christmas

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe I saw that you could. But if I was paying the custom shop for a custom turret, I'd do the M1 all day long.

The CDS spins way too easy. Must be taped down or checked before shooting....and there's not always time to check before shooting.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You can have the CDS installed on any of the VX-3's and above. Some VX-2's can have the CDS installed (anything in the last decade pretty much can), but some of the older Vari-X II's aren't able to be retrofitted to the CDS dial. There's a serial number on the bottom of the saddle. If you call 1-800-LEUPOLD with the serial number than can tell you if your scope can be fitted.

The VX-1's can't have the CDS installed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kk, I've had two of them put on VX3 2.5-8's.

There is some sort of cut-off date for what they can and can't retrofit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You mean you can install a CDS in a Leupold scope with a regular turret and convert it into a ballistic turret just as simple as changing the "lid"?

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
There is a company that makes a similar turret that screws right on the scope, with no need to send the scope in or take it off the rifle. I'll try to look it up and post the link. Never used one, but heard good things about them.

Here it is:

http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets

I ran through adding a Leupold one to my cart on their site, and the price came up to $0.00, so not sure what is up with that. For a Zeiss, it came up to $100.

Not sure what Leupold currently charges to install a CDS retrofit, but last I knew it was around $160

Last edited by KenMi; 12/23/16.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You could not give me another scope with CDS !!!!!If you look at it wrong it spins....Cost me a 170 class buck this year...

Originally Posted by 257heaven
I believe I saw that you could. But if I was paying the custom shop for a custom turret, I'd do the M1 all day long.

The CDS spins way too easy. Must be taped down or checked before shooting....and there's not always time to check before shooting.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have heard many reports of that happening with the CDS, but with the experiences on the 3 I have, it has never been an issue.

With the intent of this type of turret, it is presumed that you would check/adjust the turret before the shot, especially at any longer distances than the rifle was sighted in with. Correct?

I guess the only scenario I can see being an issue is if you are carrying it on a sling or scabbard, the CDS moves, and then you have to snap a quick shot off. But, really, how much could it turn to affect a short range shot? And longer distance shot, you would certainly have time to glance at the turret to check or adjust. As the gun is coming up, it is pretty easy to get a quick eye on where the turret is set. It would be no different than if you previously moved the turret, and then forgot to bring it back to zero.

That would also be the nice thing about a zero stop. Assuming you have it set up for 100 yard zero, you could feel the turret in the dark, and know it was properly set for the initial setting.

So, the benefits certainly outweigh any risks. I'd much rather take that chance than have to guess or calculate holdover distance for a longer shot with a fixed turret.

Last edited by KenMi; 12/25/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've backpacked with a CDS scope the last two seasons, no problem. Never had it move. Not to say yours didn't just to say any turret can move. It's one of their negatives.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KenMi

Not sure what Leupold currently charges to install a CDS retrofit, but last I knew it was around $160

$150

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Agree here too. Saw a buddy get into a "spinning" mess at our range before he got straightened out. I caught myself twice inadvertently doing the same. Back to a masking tape cheat sheet with a 6x36 LRD on the way.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The earlier CDS spun way to easy. The newer models that I've had are harder to turn.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sighted in a few rifles last Friday and figured I'd do the hex screws and zero the turret when I got home. I was putting one in the back seat and I guess accidentally hit the turret with my thumb and heard clicks. Wish I could have counted the clicks. LOL. So I had to rezero that one. I put the neoprene cover on all of my CDS's before they go into the case.

I guess from now on with the CDS, I'll have the hex wrench and fix them before I leave the bench.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Never had that with a Leupold, did with old Redfields

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
You could not give me another scope with CDS !!!!!If you look at it wrong it spins....Cost me a 170 class buck this year...

One turn zero stop...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I first bought leupolds it took me a couple screwups to get used to not having caps on the knobs.
At the range, a couple of times..... (i wish I could say I learned the lesson the first time).... I went to take off the cap to make an adjustment and turned it who knows how far.

Once I sighted in and put my CDS on, though, no problem. I'm sighted in at 200 yds and I'm able to be consistent to 500 yds and pretty much right on when I do my part.
I;ve shot a little at 600 and it's about 6 inches high.
My dial goes to 650.

I love it.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You can make some long shots with them if you have dial cut.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
There is a locking CDS on some of the newer scopes. I have one on my VX6. IMHO its definitely an improvement over the easy to spin CDS I had on an earlier Leupold.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (260madman, 1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 64 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.