Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had this happen on a good sized feral pig last week that my young nephew shot with a 243 and 80 gr. TTSX. He shot it through both shoulders. This fragment lodged in the offside hide. Bone is embedded into the fragment. Guess the rest must have kept on chugging along. This is the only Barnes, or piece of a Barnes, I have ever recovered.

[Linked Image]

The TTSX has provided very consistent terminal results and I am transitioning all rifles to them for hunting.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^^ Really like that picture..........

Gerry.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You guys have done it now. I wonder where our resident wannabe Barnes hater BWalker is to pontificate how little internal damage Barnes bullets effect on game?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

[Linked Image]

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Yeah I have had a petal or two shear off be some how I managed to recover the bullets even if the animal ran off. wink

160 .323 TTSX shot into a moose at about 225 yards.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Douchebaggery run amok here:

BarnesSuckThread

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI

BarnesSuckThread

Easy to find haters. Invariably they have little or no experience with the bullets. The world is still full of idiots that think Nosler Partitions " Pencil on through" and don't do any damage.

Hell, look at me! I hate Weatherbys, and Ive never shot a head of game with one! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Touche', amigo and good job for mentioning TWO great bullets! smile

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm little late to the game here, my perspectives;

.257 115(?) grain bullet out of my .25-06 traversed hip to shoulder, recovered with no petals and a .40 metplat, in my opinion worked just fine

I am impressed with the TTSX; accurate and kills well, and when I need will penetrate extremely well.

My two whitetails this year were double lung shots with a 140 gr TTSX from a 7-08 at about 270 yards,the buck dropped after about 6 steps. The doe then stood over the buck and stared in my direction, at the shot she ran about 140 yards, the real difference between the two reactions is that she was charged up on adrenaline. Damage to the lungs was extensive and left a blood trail a colour blind guy could follow.

I have had adrenaline charged deer run about 120 yards when double lunged with partitions and ballistic tips, no no real difference.

I am not a barnes zealot but they are a fine bullet and will operate well if used within the suggested velocity range, as previously stated faster is better.

Just my two cents.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by jorgeI

BarnesSuckThread

Easy to find haters. Invariably they have little or no experience with the bullets. The world is still full of idiots that think Nosler Partitions " Pencil on through" and don't do any damage.

Hell, look at me! I hate Weatherbys, and Ive never shot a head of game with one! laugh

Don't forget the sage wisdom that 'if they go too fast, they won't have time to expand'

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Merwin; I actually heard that once; I was stunned.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, you guys are asking for it. Stop making sense!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GRF
Merwin; I actually heard that once; I was stunned.

I've heard it recently and from a guy I've known for over 30 years. What surprised me the most is that I thought he was a gun guy. He owns several nice guns,reloads, and has competed in high power rifle at a national level. I was so stunned,I didn't even argue with him.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Wesley2
Below is a factory loaded barnes 270 Win 110gr ttsx offered by Federal several years ago that I fired into water filled milk jugs from a Tikka T3 at 30 yards yesterday. Both pieces were caught in the 8th jug.

A little history on my previous experience with these bullets.. About five years ago I killed 7 or 8 deer with this load and the blood trails ranged from poor to non-existent and the deer traveled farther before dying than deer I have killed with other bullets. I blamed it on the bullet for not expanding and moved on to others bullets even though the bullets were extremely accurate.

Fast forward to last year, I tried the 80gr ttsx in 243 on several deer after reading all the rave reviews. (I decided I must have just gotten a bad batch of factory loaded Barnes in 270 Win.) I was impressed enough with the 80gr ttsx to order some 110gr ttsx to reload in a 270 wsm since all I've heard is the faster you push a Barnes the better it works.

Well I just happen to find my last factory loaded 270 Win 110gr ttsx yesterday so I decided to shoot it into the water filled milk jugs to see what happened.

Now my concern is IF the 110 gr can't even handle the velocity from a 270 Win then it sure can't handle the velocity from a 270 WSM.

I plan to contact Barnes and ask them if this is the performance I should expect from a 110gr ttsx fired from a 270 or was there a defect in this particular lot of bullets. If they can't assure me this will not happen with the the "new" ttsx bullets then I plan to return them.

For reference, the last pic below shows a 125 gr 308 ballistic tip, 243 80gr ttsx and 110gr 270 ttsx. I expected the 110gr to look similar to the 243, but not the case.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You take a light for caliber bullet and run the hell out of it blow the petals off and think it failed, that makes no sense. That bullet maintained the base and did great, many people prefer fragmenting.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Kmans tests (on bone not water) have been a go to reference for some time now. May mitigate some haters....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7219652/1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are a few similar tests out there, quite an extensive one over on Accurate Reloading Forums that included both artificial as well as animals. It focused on the Combined Technology Bullet (CEB), and it was also very revealing. It really won't discourage the zealots though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
[Linked Image]

Aw Christ! You are killing me!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Terminal performance always depends on the impact velocity.

To make the bullet expand Barnes had to modify the composure of the metal, and if you were going to use it down range at long distance it had to perform at lower velocities.

The bullet only has 2 components today (expanding part and the rest), so it's a tricky trade off to get it not to blow up more than you'd want, and to still expand well at lower speeds.

I hear 95gr. TTSX @ 2500 fps are wonderful - that's what I'm trying next. 3k fps may be getting on the high side as you have experienced.

I.e. -- the 270 is used in the 6.8SPC 2,500 to 2,700 fps..

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[Linked Image]

Results of 308 win tax at 26 yards versus TOUGH old boat. Thickest Sheildthe guide had ever seen

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (17Hunter, 1OntarioJim, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 27 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.