-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem is, that when you can not make it repeat the problem, then it is very hard to say exactly what happened. I am not saying at all that it never happens, but out of 5 times, it could be 2 or 3 different things. Could have been set wrong, dirt, operator error etc. Hard to say without being able to duplicate. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Bob, I believe the memo way back then that is often quoted is about QC. Walker found that tolerances were more critical with his design.

Casey

You're jogging my memory...and of course this is discussion, dispositive of nothing... smile

And as I recall he recommended changes. A reasonable person will ask..."Why would the guy who invented it, warn of potential problems if he didn't know what he was talking about?"

From a liability point of view, management, by that memo,was on actual notice, "knew or should have known" that the design was vulnerable to an AD under circumstances that were entirely "foreseeable" given the intended use of the trigger and rifle, and ignored it and failed to make changes,likely because it would cost too much (?). That sort of balancing test between cost vs benefit vs risk, has gotten more than one manufacturer in trouble over the years.

That it didn't happen 4 million other times, or that it could not be duplicated (I find that hard to believe since I've handled a couple of rifles that did it in gun stores and my experience is insignificant statistically)...is irrelevant. The issue is ....did it happen in the instant case and was the occurrence foreseeable?

That may be enough to tip the scales toward a "preponderance of the evidence"....the legal standard in civil matters. Pretty high risk for defense counsel to recommend.."Hey lets just toss it to the control of the jury and see what happens!" Any good lawyer will evaluate a case form both sides. There's big risk in going to trial and tossing your fate into the hands of third parties. At least in a settlement you somewhat control your own destiny... grin

Like the poster above described so eloquently, when you make 5 million plus of anything,SOME portion of them are going to be sub par. If manufacturing methods slipped and the part was no longer up to standards, you have a problem in the face of Walkers early memo. frown

Anyway...fun discussion. Not trying to convince anyone. We all have our own views. wink

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/13/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Casey I understand that anything mechanical can fail. But I can't recall another rifle manufacturer of bolt action rifles involved in as much litigation as Remington.

Unless I am losing my mind I recall a memo by Walker,uncovered during discovery in one of the lawsuits...... that clearly indicated to management that the trigger could have issues.(Forgive me if I ant quote chapter and verse. This isn't a court room. smile

I'm not trying a case here so will not bother to dig it up; but the memo was there and dated back to pre 1950 if I recall. That's a long time before Walker retired.

Again the memo dated back to the late 40's or early 50's which put Remington management on notice of a defect. The memo by itself is enough evidence against Remington to leverage a settlement.

Cases get settled because there is evidence indicating that either side can win.....or lose and someone was facing major exposure.....And lawyers for both sides knew it.

They are not blind yet they cannot (will not) see...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jorgeI

It's like every time a military aviator crashes it's the fault of the aircraft. But it's usually human error.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

It's like every time a military aviator crashes it's the fault of the aircraft. But it's usually human error.

Casey
That comment is not totally accurate. I my 30 plus years smithing I have never had a Model 70 come into my shop complaining of an AD. Some Savages and many Remington's. Most of the Remington's were not Human error.

22 Rimfires are a whole different story for another time.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Casey

Keep dreaming. Facts are there for all to see, over 90% of all mishaps are pilot error and those of us who actually had something to do with it, freely admit to it. But feel free to show your reference data, unlike the 700 trigger's issues which are well documented..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Unless I am losing my mind I recall a memo by Walker,uncovered during discovery in one of the lawsuits...... that clearly indicated to management that the trigger could have issues.(Forgive me if I ant quote chapter and verse. This isn't a court room. smile

Bob, I think you're right.

IIRC, the solution wasn't that expensive but the bean counters decided to not go with Walker's proposed "fix"...

If that's true, it sure bit'em in the azz over the long haul...

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Casey

Keep dreaming. Facts are there for all to see, over 90% of all mishaps are pilot error and those of us who actually had something to do with it, freely admit to it. But feel free to show your reference data, unlike the 700 trigger's issues which are well documented..

Failure to keep the weapon clean can come back to haunt any mechanism, this one had debris in the "trigger" too.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/14/thunderbirds-crash-cause-colorado-springs/

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The from the lawsuit featured in anti-gun CNBC's hit piece (that curiously so many 'fire members buy into).

Several weeks after the accident, representatives from Remington and the Barbers conducted a preliminary examination of both the condition and the performance of the rifle. Among other abnormal conditions, the inspection found the inside of the rifle to be heavily rusted, and the trigger engagement screw, safety lever, and fire control mechanism had all been either adjusted or removed and reinstalled after the rifle left the factory. As to its performance, the rifle passed all the function tests performed in this preliminary inspection, and fired only when the mechanical safety was in the "fire" position and the trigger was pulled.

https://casetext.com/case/barber-v-remington-arms-co-1

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My original "not blind but cannot see" stands...

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I give up........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Bob, I think you're right.

IIRC, the solution wasn't that expensive but the bean counters decided to not go with Walker's proposed "fix"...

If that's true, it sure bit'em in the azz over the long haul...

DF

DF: Boy I'll say !

http://remingtonfirearmsclassactionsettlement.com

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I give up........

Me two...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Well it happened to my wife and I was there when it happened, and she has sworn off Remingtons. I had that trigger and another R-700 replaced with Timneys, but she is still adamantly opposed to ever shooting one again. I can't blame her and now I never carry hot, period.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
This is a very interesting discussion. It is not that a dirty out-of-adjustment trigger cannot fail. It will.

RATHER, it is that the Walker trigger has a floating disconnector. This is a mechanical design that lends itself to "random" failures to reset due to various factors, some of which are preventable and some of which probably are not in normal usage.

The first paragraph does not nullify the second. Some here are truly choosing to be blind.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
funny that the police/Mil M700s/M24s ect... using the same walker trigger seem to work just fine.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Thank God nobody was seriously hurt or killed!.

Brilliant

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just wondering on something.... do all replacement triggers fix the AD problem? What I'm asking, if I replace the factory trigger with a Timney trigger for instance, does that fix the problem? What is different on replacement triggers? Genuinely wanting to know

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
No floating connector link!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sixpack
Just wondering on something.... do all replacement triggers fix the AD problem? What I'm asking, if I replace the factory trigger with a Timney trigger for instance, does that fix the problem? What is different on replacement triggers? Genuinely wanting to know

The connector used on Remington Walker triggers is especially sensitive to the tiniest bit of dirt, ice or rust. It sweeps back and forth on every shot and is returned by a tiny spring. If anything gets between the connector and the trigger body it will fire when the safety is released.

Replacement triggers are not nearly as sensitive.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.