Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
Kaywoodie with his pipe and one of his rifles:

[Linked Image]

Shooting steel:

[Linked Image]

Bob is DEFINATLEY our Camp Fire 1895 Expert! He's probably forgot more than most of us ever knew about 1895 Winchesters!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jaguartx
KW just texted me that he cant get on the Fire anymore because of redirects.

Yep.

Shame, too. frown

I was wondering why Bob hasn't posted here lately! Hate to hear that!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was giving me fits, too, even using Firefox & Avast. Been okay today, however

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
supposedly the .405's with the crescent buttplate are plumb painful to shoot. The ones with shotgun butt not so bad. The last one I saw for sale in the flesh was $3k, and that was 20 years ago.

I narrowly missed buying a .35 Winchester. Obsolete but interesting cartridge

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a picture that has my 1895 in 30/40 shown at the top. It was a salvage job. The butt had been cut off so the length of pull was about 12 1/2 inches including the dry rotted recoil pad and the stock was broken at the grip. It had some kind of glue on it and a couple of nails trying to hold it together. The barrel had been cut back further ruining the collector value. That was fine with me since what I wanted was a shooter anyway. After the dealer pulled a patch through the barrel and showed me a clean bore, it followed me home. A new stock and it was ready to go. Shoots good but I haven seen any deer while I was carrying it, so I don't have any game pictures to show yet.

These Winchester 95's can be had at good prices if you look and are willing to put in a little work. I have seen several that have had busted or cut off butt stocks at gun shows that were being overlooked and weren't priced like a collector rifle. The one I bought had been on the dealers shelf for several years because it was ugly, but if you looked past the ugly, the price wasn't bad at all. To me it made into the perfect Winchester 95 for the kind of hunting I like to do.

[Linked Image]

Harry
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is a picture that has my 1895 in 30/40 shown at the top. It was a salvage job. The butt had been cut off so the length of pull was about 12 1/2 inches including the dry rotted recoil pad and the stock was broken at the grip. It had some kind of glue on it and a couple of nails trying to hold it together. The barrel had been cut back further ruining the collector value. That was fine with me since what I wanted was a shooter anyway. After the dealer pulled a patch through the barrel and showed me a clean bore, it followed me home. A new stock and it was ready to go. Shoots good but I haven seen any deer while I was carrying it, so I don't have any game pictures to show yet.

These Winchester 95's can be had at good prices if you look and are willing to put in a little work. I have seen several that have had busted or cut off butt stocks at gun shows that were being overlooked and weren't priced like a collector rifle. The one I bought had been on the dealers shelf for several years because it was ugly, but if you looked past the ugly, the price wasn't bad at all. To me it made into the perfect Winchester 95 for the kind of hunting I like to do.

[Linked Image]

Very Nice
I am jealous.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by helidriver72

It wasn't abandoned there(I wish it was). A guy that was staying in it had it there with him.
BTW those moose horns were 67"

Thank goodness, I woulda had nightmares thinking about that .405 sittin' out there all by itself! .405s are pretty pricey in original condition. My .405, while in nice shape, had been "customized" by the original owner which made it more in my price range....albeit still at the top

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mathsr

[Linked Image]

So what would be a fair price to pay for a non collector version?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
In .405? Good luck finding any original much below $2K. New made repros, maybe half that. .30-40s and .30-06s are usually less.

Refinished 1895 .405

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a fan! Got two SRC carbines, 30 govt, and 30 Army. One take down rifle in 30 O3. 30 U.S.? Love them all.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Saw one at Cabelas a few years back

Would have been several house payments.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have seen only one 1895 in 303 British over the years, condition was poor.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Heres a picture of one of my 405's this deluxe model was made in 1905, letters with factory red pad.My other 405 has a crescent butt and it really does not kick bad !!! Don

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Very nice. I had one in .30-06, but didn't like the loading method. Sold it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It was giving me fits, too, even using Firefox & Avast. Been okay today, however

That's been hitting me off and on for a while (iPad). Turning Javascript off seems to stop it and most other problems, but also keeps you from posting. Gotta assume it originates here, as it never occurs elsewhere.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Makes me feel bad, that I didn't buy the last one I saw.
30 Govt in decent shape - $1600. frown

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always liked them. Should bring one home one day.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Loggah
Heres a picture of one of my 405's this deluxe model was made in 1905, letters with factory red pad.My other 405 has a crescent butt and it really does not kick bad !!! Don

[Linked Image]

Wow what a beauty!

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I love mine now that I trimmed the hammer strut. My kids bought a repo 1895 case hardened, take down in 3006 for my 50th.The thing shot, fed and handled great but the primers were barely indented. I would get a misfire 20% of the time. I then went through my old Rifle magazines and found Dave Scovil's article on how to modify the hammer strut.The mods worked great, 100 rounds off so far and positive primer hits on all.The added bonus is the safety still works if you want but it cannot be accidentally engaged. I do have a Williams aperature sight and OA outdoors front blade. I am very pleased with accuracy and it will be used for WV and MD deer season next year.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am sure I will be bashed for this but here it goes anyway.... I had one of the Winchester current production 1895 in 30-06.... high grade with engraving, etc that I go at a steal for less than I could get a new standard grade for.... I personally love it.... I have been on the look out for an original in good condition that I could afford and have not found one yet.... However, I still love the new one... Built like a tank... And so much fun to shoot.... So it does have a new style safety but it has some wonderful wood and engraving on it....

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 14 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,897
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.