Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I am a big fan of SK Tools. I think most of their stuff is still made in the USA. Could be wrong about that. All of mine is USA made, but I have had it for several years.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's hard to get away from China without breaking the bank. Home Depot's Husky tools are made in China but they do have a lifetime warranty and a reasonable price plus a big company behind them. I have a wrench and socket set that I won in a grand opening drawing years ago that have been very good.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Longbob
I am a big fan of SK Tools. I think most of their stuff is still made in the USA. Could be wrong about that. All of mine is USA made, but I have had it for several years.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Still made in USA it looks like

http://www.skhandtool.com/products/catalog/skhtml/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#2

The 172 piece Master Mech set is good but comes in at $2K so I might have to just handpick some tools.

Last edited by Pugs; 01/06/17. Reason: add set

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
As mentioned, SK is good. Can find some decent prices for sets on ebay.

Snap On is good stuff, but the prices are simply outrageous....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grand dad gave me a set of SK Wayne sockets for confirmation back in the 60's. He's been gone for 35 years but I think of him every time I reach for the green box. And no, they don't get lent out. Lol

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another fan of SK tools here.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Stanley bought out Mac tools a few years ago , so be patient and I think you will see craftsmen quality come back . I have been a auto tech for many years and 90% of my tools are Mac . Snap on tools are very very over priced .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The CEO has been bleeding the company for years, his profit and all others peril. Saw this earlier today in the news and my thoughts I shared with others today:

It is ashame the SEC will stop 2 large companies from merging and forming a monopoly, but not stop a guy destroying a company, once ranked 17th in 1997, now 71 in the fortune 100. 178,000 employees remaining, and as long as this guy is CEO, the company will continue to be driven into the ground and out of business. For years, Many many people have talked about how the CEO has no interest other than lining his pocket, as he liquidates the company. He continues to close Sears and kMart stores and selling off pieces of the company year after year. NO interest in turning the company around, as he's profiting all the way till they go under. How can this Not be Criminal? I digress.......

Sears sells Craftsman brand and closing another 150 stores. Marking the final death knell of this once American Icon brand. Sears will be closing shop in the not so distant future. A reader comment below re: the CEO (who has a hedge fund and real estate investment trust) who's actions and results over the years have proven he has had zero interest in revitalizing Sears. One mans Greed - thousands of jobs lost.

"Little Eddie Lambert is transferring Sears assets to his personal accounts. He has loaned Sears $800m + at 8% interest with the Sears properties as collateral so when Sears closes their last store the remaining assets will be owed to his hedge fund. He will have walked away with all of Sears' assets."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pugs
So here's a question for folks.

I have a nephew, some here have met him at one of the TN pig hunts, who is graduating high school here in a few months and will be heading to Purdue next year for Mechanical Engineering. When I graduated High School my Dad's gift to me was a several hundred piece Craftsman tool set. Here it is 35 years later and it's rare that a couple days don't go by that I don't still use that gift which makes it a great gift in my mind.

I would really prefer to buy something made in USA, or at least not China. Looked at Snap On. Um, no. $1600 for a 3/4" ratchet set. crazy Who makes a decent set? Typical stuff, multiple ratchet sets, open end wrenches, screwdrivers etc for less than a grand? If not Chicom will go with pretty much anyplace else.

I periodically take an automotive course over at the community college.... Snap ON, and a batch of the other tool companies give students 50 and 60%discounts on about everything...

If someone owned an automotive repair shop.... it would pay to take a course once a semester, for a couple of hours a week, and then buy an entire boatload of tools you'd need, at the discounts they offer...

there was one lesbian chick over there one semester, on an Obama Job Retraining Program....The Feds ended up spending just under $50K on tools for her, because they were needed for her new profession... she completed the course and then never went to work....

she just sold all of those tax payer bought tools.. as she had intended from day one...

and back on topic...

Yeah most of my clothes growing up came from Sears...

My granddad actually mail ordered one of those Henry J from Sears.... cousin of mine ended up with it and drove it thru college...then just junked it.. think the junk yard gave him $10 for it... with the engine still running and the trans etc in fine shape...

seems no one was overly impressed with a 20 something year old Henry J...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Longbob

Thanks. I'll take a look. Still made in USA it looks like

http://www.skhandtool.com/products/catalog/skhtml/files/assets/basic-html/index.html#2

The 172 piece Master Mech set is good but comes in at $2K so I might have to just handpick some tools.

There is an excellent forum to buy tools and such. It is www.garagejournal.com

Be forewarned. Visiting that forum is as big a time eater as 24HR.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Idared
Wonder who will end up with Diehard Batteries?

I don't know, but someone had to manufacture the Diehard line.

I have a Diehard Gold that came with my truck when I bought it in 2000 and as long as I keep the cells topped off, it kicks the engine over just like new even at -40* F.

Made in Milwaukee by Johnson Industries maker of Interstate batteries and probably 90% of all other brand automotive batteries.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Craftsman used to be good

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got most of my Dad's Craftsman tools from the 50's - great quality. I have filled in the holes over the 70's to 90's. However, once they stated being made in China that was the end.

I look for Snap-On at every estate sale I go to and every so often there is a Snap-On tool in a whole box of crap tools.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Craftsman isn't worth the trip anymore. Soft, loose fits, poorer finish. The Stanley and B&D is not what I remember from when I was young either. I have some S&K, seems the square is slightly different sized. I bought a lot of Home Depot ratchets, they have a good finish, tight click, and good feel. Getting away from chinese is hard to do.

We had looked at washers/driers at Sears among other places, they raised the prices for Balck Friday. Don't know if we want to spend the extra money for their "required" fittings, higher priced warranty, and then find them clear gone. Used to be you went to Wards or Sears, now HD. Lowes, and a lot of places sell appliances. We also used to replace what ever quit, never worrying about matching style, or even color.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This area was settled starting about 1905. There are a lot of Sears kit houses here. They came in by rail and were hauled to the building sites with horses & wagons.

I own a Sears kit house that was built in 1923.

The previous owner said that it came on a couple of big trucks. Everything was on the trucks, lumber, nails, plumbing, wiring, all electrical outlets and switches, flooring, drywall, windows, doors, shingles, and insulation.

As to the OP, I have a lot of Craftsman tools that will be passed down to my kids and grandkids. I hope Stanley does right by the brand.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The place to buy American tools.

http://www.harryepstein.com

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

In 30 + years I never went into Sears to buy clothes, shoes ... etc.
First, I was going to buy a tool and then I may also buy a shirt or
something. Without GOOD tools I will never go to Sears.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

F
fburgtx Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 65BR
The CEO has been bleeding the company for years, his profit and all others peril. Saw this earlier today in the news and my thoughts I shared with others today:

It is ashame the SEC will stop 2 large companies from merging and forming a monopoly, but not stop a guy destroying a company, once ranked 17th in 1997, now 71 in the fortune 100. 178,000 employees remaining, and as long as this guy is CEO, the company will continue to be driven into the ground and out of business. For years, Many many people have talked about how the CEO has no interest other than lining his pocket, as he liquidates the company. He continues to close Sears and kMart stores and selling off pieces of the company year after year. NO interest in turning the company around, as he's profiting all the way till they go under. How can this Not be Criminal? I digress.......

Sears sells Craftsman brand and closing another 150 stores. Marking the final death knell of this once American Icon brand. Sears will be closing shop in the not so distant future. A reader comment below re: the CEO (who has a hedge fund and real estate investment trust) who's actions and results over the years have proven he has had zero interest in revitalizing Sears. One mans Greed - thousands of jobs lost.

"Little Eddie Lambert is transferring Sears assets to his personal accounts. He has loaned Sears $800m + at 8% interest with the Sears properties as collateral so when Sears closes their last store the remaining assets will be owed to his hedge fund. He will have walked away with all of Sears' assets."

You are absolutely right. Every time ol' Eddie makes another $200 million loan to Sears, the media acts like he believes in the company. All he is really doing is stringing folks along, and making himself a SECURED creditor, so he'll be first in line to get his money back.

Look good for media? Check. Make money on interest payments?? Check. Make yourself a secured creditor, so you get it all back? Check.

Eddie isn't going to lend a dime more than he can get from the asset sell off.

And YES, my grandad worked for Sears for 45 years. Damn shame...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Going up in the Sears Tower is kinda depressing.

They were a good example of what innovation, hard work, and American made could represent.

Now they just suck.

Dave

They don't just suck now, they've been sucking for at least the past 20 years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 257 mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,485
Posts18,508,867
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.