-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's impossible to talk about any group without using generalizations. Variations within those generalizations are what we refer to as individuals. As was said, no generation is monolithic, yet there are definite characteristics that can be identified.

Aside, I prefer "GI Generation" to "Greatest Generation." Never liked that term... "Greatest" compared to what?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Exactly. Generations aren't typically defined by individuals. They are usually defined by events.

Trying to say " all kids today" is no more relevant now than it was 20, 40, or 80 years ago.

Summed up, we were all [bleep] and didn't know schit according to our elders.

Ha!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We'll never really know, of course, but it'd be interesting to see how our current crop of geezers would turn out if they grew up under the same conditions as the GenXers and GenYers did. I know that many of my age group fell prey to their appetite for booze, drugs, tobacco, and sex, as well as not being able to put down their forks. My parents' generation felt the same dismay for mine that we feel for the ones coming up now, yet somehow enough made it through to keep the world spinning. I imagine that when the sifting process is over, this bunch will turn out okay as well, in about the same proportion as ours did anyway.

The current "look at me" phase will likely be replaced with a reactionary turn the other way towards extreme privacy and living simply, but well. For those who are shooters, that might just include some nice, well-made firearms, new or old, as their tastes mature.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
It's impossible to talk about any group without using generalizations. Variations within those generalizations are what we refer to as individuals. As was said, no generation is monolithic, yet there are definite characteristics that can be identified.

Aside, I prefer "GI Generation" to "Greatest Generation." Never liked that term... "Greatest" compared to what?

Yeah, that's interesting. Easy to say I guess when referring to some of the WWII vets as being great. Maybe greatest amount of sacrifice?

Who knows, but the world keeps turning.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by Brad

Yeah, that's interesting. Easy to say I guess when referring to some of the WWII vets as being great. Maybe greatest amount of sacrifice?

Who knows, but the world keeps turning.

It does indeed keep turning.

I'd argue that the Generation of the Revolution or Civil War made infinitely greater sacrifices as a whole than the GI Generation as a whole. But parsing sacrifice is pretty easy on a keyboard...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lets see:

Average cell phone: $400.

Average laptop: $500-700.

Average home computer: $1000-$1500.

Throw in usage fees.

None of which will last as long as a good rifle, and yet all here are using one of the three and paying the usage fees.

I don't care what generation slot you fall into, all posting seem to be able to spring for a good rifle that will last. Make that more than one.

Grinn'n at minimum.

Last edited by battue; 01/07/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Gee, old ass Bob being an old ass prick, yet again. What are the odds.

It's fairly obvious that the prostate-less generation has ZERO sense of humor though and that's never not funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bob showing one of the younger generations what a REAL rifle is...

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Calvin
Funny thread.

When thinking of new rifles, a Winchester never crosses my mind. They offer nothing that appeals to me.

As for the younger generation, they are doing just fine. They've figured out that they'd rather spend their resources on actual hunts, tags, good clothing/gear, and gym memberships. Expensive rifles must be kept in very good condition to retain value, and the appeal of doing hunts that keep rifles in very good condition don't have appeal to many.

Funny post.

You don't really expect anyone to believe that the price difference between a $800 M70 and a $300 Savage POS will keep anyone from going on a hunt do you? smile

In a day and age when these luminaries spend $150 a month on a cell phone, the idea that a $800 dollar rifle (one time expenditure) is too expensive, is laughable.

Or that "smart" guys" are scraping the bottom of the equipment barrel with a cheap rifle and likely topping it with a blister pack scope,is an expression of sage wisdom. Hilarious.

Who exactly cares about keeping a hunting rifle brand new and how is that a factor?

I see these miracle millennials at the range with their cheap rifles,and they are neither great shots, astute riflemen,and tend to be rookies who don't know what they are doing.

If the cost spread between a M70 and an RAR is keeping you from hunting you need a more lucrative job....but don't expect me to believe you're some kind of sage/wise genius. That's ridiculous.

This class envy stuff cracks me up but otherwise intelligent people fall for it all the time.

What happened to that time when your posts were well thought out? Now they are a collection of butt-hurt ramblings.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then again a Bud doesn't shoot a box of shells a year. Almost always shoots a Deer inside of 100yards. Hunts with a Rem 700 .243W youth rifle that was originally his Sons. I suspect one of the Bic rifles would serve him just as well.

Last edited by battue; 01/07/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[
[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation

The Lost Generation, also known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe,[24] is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I. The members of the lost generation were typically born between 1883 and 1900.

The G.I. Generation, also known as the "Greatest Generation'", is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 to 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw dubbed this the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.[25]

The Silent Generation, also known as the Lucky Few, were born from approximately 1925 to 1945.[26] It includes some who fought in World War II, most of those who fought the Korean War and many during the Vietnam War.

The Baby Boomers are the generation that was born following World War II, generally from 1946 to 1964,[27][28][29] a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates.[30] The term "baby boomer" is sometimes used in a cultural context. Therefore, it is impossible to achieve broad consensus on a defined start and end date.[31] The baby boom has been described variously as a "shockwave"[32] and as "the pig in the python".[33] This generation is also referred to as the Me Generation, and the latter portion of the Baby Boomer generation as Generation Jones.

Generation X, commonly abbreviated to Gen X, is the generation following the baby boomers. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the early to mid-1960s and ending birth years ranging from the late 1970s to early 1980s. The term has also been used in different times and places for a number of different subcultures or countercultures since the 1950s.

Millennials, also known as the Millennial Generation[34] or Generation Y, are the demographic cohort following Generation X. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s[35] as starting birth years and ending birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s. As of April 2016, the Millennial generation surpassed the Boomer generation in size in the USA, with 76 million Boomers and 77 million Millennials.[36]

Generation Z, also known as the "Founders"[37] or Post-Millennials [36] the iGeneration, or Homeland Generation, is the cohort of people born after the Millennials. Demographers and researchers typically use starting birth years ranging from the mid-1990s to early 2000s, while there is little consensus yet regarding ending birth years.
[/quote]

One interesting thing about demographics that I don't quite understand is the pig in the python analogy and the gloom and doomers regarding social security and not enough people in the workplace. In the mid 60's there were about 190 million people in the US that included all of the boomers (approx. 75 mil.) which ended in 1964 and all of the previous generations. Today we have about 330 million people but theres going to be this huge deficit of workers in the US despite substantial productivity gains since the 1960s. On the surface there is room for doubt in my mind.

Last edited by bangeye; 01/07/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One benefit of the current trend towards cheap rifles is that it helps keep the price of nice old Mausers within the reach of old fat men on fixed incomes.

Old Winchesters, on the other hand, never seem to go down, no matter what.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Gee, old ass Bob being an old ass prick, yet again. What are the odds.

It's fairly obvious that the prostate-less generation has ZERO sense of humor though and that's never not funny.

Look who's talking'......biggest troll on the CF. By a landslide.

Biggest do nothing as well. Go back to bed.

Before I find someone funny, I have to think he's smart. Leaves you out.... wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious if when you first walked onto a rifle range as a very young man you were the savviest, most knowledgable person there? Did someone help you along or even if you are completely self taught did it take you a few years to accumulate the knowledge and experience that you have today?

Looking down from the top of the mountain and pissing on those just beginning the climb does not speak well for you.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd love to see Bob waddle his ass down the dock up here and run his Yankee mouth to the millennial fishermen on the dock.

I have the utmost respect for the millennials I see entering the industry. The hardest working kids I've ever seen. No such thing as an 8 hour day or 40 hour work week. And yeah, they all have i phones and couldn't give a rats ass about what rifle they use to go on hunts that most here would die to go on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A millennial in AK, on average, would be ALOT different than the average millennial in New Hampshire I'm guessing...... I got a pile of them on my framing crews and 2/3's work 60 a week and work hard. The other 1/3 we fire or they quit within a few hours to a few days. Most of mine hunt with used 700's or Weatherby vanguard's from Walmart.

Edit to add: I could give a [bleep] less what they use as long as they're out there keeping the sport alive! They can shoot one with a new iPhone rifle app for all I care.

Last edited by jackmountain; 01/07/17.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I suspect favoured brand(s) may be somewhat a regional thing also. Big difference between Alaska (or western Montana) big game hunting and whitetails in the southeast.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't see the cheap rifle fad as a generational thing. Americans of all ages have always liked to buy a bunch of crap vs a few quality pieces.

Last edited by BWalker; 01/07/17.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
As I said I don't think that hunting rifles fit the corporate model of continuous growth in sales units, I don't necessarily condemn those that buy RA's , Tikka's or Vanguards. To be frank the 700, the post 64 model 70, savage 110 et.al were considered "cheap" rifles when they came out, and there are many of those going strong 50 years later. I suspect most of the "economy" rifles of today will be too in 50 years. Looking back I had a remington 870 (stamped parts) and a 788 in 6mm remington again stamped parts and a ruger std auto 22 pistol again stamped parts instead of a proper machined hand fitted model 12 , mauser and a colt woodsman when I first got married. I would have been fine and could have hunted the past 40 seasons if I had stopped right there and kept them. I have a vanguard and I have no doubt that it will be going longer than I will. Also I don't necessarily blame the millennia's for perpetuating the "cheap " guns. I see a lot of threads on this forum talking about the posters new RAR or tikka or savage , vanguards and I see a lot of threads that make me think that older quality guns are not that popular most weigh 8-9 lbs when dressed out. Just an observation.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
People can thump their chest and try to make everyone believe they are superior because of the rifle they chose, but at the end of the day, the rifle in hand wouldn't change the outcome of 99% of hunts.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.