-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's odd this post appeared. I've got the movie on DVD, watched it last night with my wife and son. Old classic for sure.

Took it to work at the fire station a couple of weeks ago to show the guys. A bunch of 20 to 30 year old firefighters, didn't think they would watch an old movie being in black & white. Most have never even heard of him. They were highly impressed.

Its rare that the younger crowd has a chance to see a movie that's not filled with sex, drugs and corruption and actually enjoy it.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by shaman
My wife is related to York, and she remembers York coming to the house on many occasions. Her Dad fought in The Bulge under Patton. The two cousins used to talk at the kitchen table. She remembers him as a nice old man.

Years ago, I was caving at a place close by Alvin York's grave. I remember passing the grave site on the way to the cave. This was back in the early 80's. The National Speleological Society was surveying a cave called Devil's Dungeon. What struck me was that little had changed since the movie. We parked in a creek bottom next to a cabin. The father was out with a mule, plowing the vegetable patch.

As a coincidence, I first saw this movie as a young boy many years ago.

My grandmother had always told us a story about a famous relative we had that was awarded medals for something he did during the war. One night, my parents told us we were allowed to stay up past bedtime to watch this movie about our famous relative, Sgt. York.

As I understand it, my maternal grandmother was a cousin of Alvin's mother. My grandmother's maiden name was "Bell" .

Have never met any from that side of the family.....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good movie

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
One of my favorite movies. My dad is from Bluff city TN. Even though I grew up a Yankee I still relate to his heritage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
watched it at least a dozen times

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This was a required movie when I was in Jr. High. Everyone in my school had to watch it in American History class. We also had prayer, bible reading, and the pledge of allegiance in home room at the beginning of school. A bible was passed around. One person each day would read their favorite scripture or they could pass when it was their turn. But the Lord's prayer was said and the pledge was done each morning. Lots more respect back then not only for each other, but for teachers, police, military, etc.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mom always spoke with reverence about Sgt. York. She was from the little community of Willow Grove which is under Dale Hollow Lake now, about 30 miles from Pall Mall. I wonder if it was just pride in a local boy who became a national hero or if Grandpa shared a little 'shine with Alvin before he "got religion". One of those things I'll never know.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 3,083 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.