Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Some people who live in the western states, you want federal lands to go back to the states. Do you realize if that happens that you won't get exclusive hunting and fishing rights. Large companies, or wealthy millionaires will end up buying any land for sale,and you...................like those of us back east, will be locked out of those pristine mountains for good.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/50801...al-lands-to-states-has-sportsmen-on-edge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As a general comment, if you are reduced to quoting NPR to support your statements you are already in the hole.

You don't think that the Feds will reduce access to public lands every time liberals are in office? How many acres did Obama open up to hunters and fisherman? The issue isn't as simple as you think it is.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really? Have you actually read up on the issue in the different states? Or did you find it all in one biased article?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a credible source and stop quoting from the PSYOPS section of the Propaganda Corps.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It might matter what the the state constitution says and how 'progressive' their legislature is.

Some states might sell state property for the bucks.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by nealglen37
Some people who live in the western states, you want federal lands to go back to the states. Do you realize if that happens that you won't get exclusive hunting and fishing rights. Large companies, or wealthy millionaires will end up buying any land for sale,and you...................like those of us back east, will be locked out of those pristine mountains for good.

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/05/50801...al-lands-to-states-has-sportsmen-on-edge

I hope you're not the brightest one in the family.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some small states, like Idaho, can't afford to maintain all that non-producing land. One big fire season will kill any state budget. They'll have to sell part of it to pay the bills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lands that are managed properly ought to pay for their own maintenance.

Public recreation is a drop in the bucket compared to revenues generated by grazing, logging, mining industries when allowed to actually do something with the land.

I'm also sure that the fire fighting programs would be kept in place as a public health issue, if nothing else.

It's never a black and white issue. There's grey there too.

Then there's the "state sale issue".

What if the states were NOT allowed to sell a square inch of it? Seems like an easy fix to me... because the mission statement of state lands in school trusts is different than holding the land forever as public lands with Multiple Use as the main mission.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am HOPING that we don't see large scale sales of Federal lands.

Have enjoyed camping, hiking and hunting those lands at minimal or no cost my entire life. Pretty nice to be able to head out to the mountains, wander where I will... I'd like to see my grandkids have that opportunity too.

The situation bears watching.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The same thing as the situation in Mexico.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...ico-over-gas-price-hike-turn-deadly.html

When government propping up becomes unsustainable, and they have to let the natural markets and demands take over, the natives get restless when they lose their entitlements. Even when everyone knows continued government subsidies will sink their country.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

When government propping up becomes unsustainable, and they have to let the natural markets and demands take over, the natives get restless when they lose their entitlements. Even when everyone knows continued government subsidies will sink their country.

Jfc . Go mow the ditch and enjoy your version of the outdoors

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
States are reviewing, and acting on, the sale of highways and bridges. Garbage dumps and prisons have been sold. Future tax revenues are commonly borrowed against. Over-promised, ie under funded, government pension plans are common.
My faith is the ability of state and local government to wisely manage is less than my faith in the feds.
Guessing these sort of issues is why a Non-professional politician won the last election.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rosco1

Jfc . Go mow the ditch and enjoy your version of the outdoors

laugh

I'll bet my version of the outdoors and dealing with state and federal government agencies and bureaucracy might be a little more encompassing than you know. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Public recreation is a drop in the bucket compared to revenues generated by grazing, logging, mining industries when allowed to actually do something with the land.

What, you don't consider hunting, fishing, hiking, and camping to be "doing something" with the land?

That's a pure value statement on your part, I hope you realize that. Besides, most of the public land I hunt on has no minerals, oil, or gas, and is worth more to the local economy with the timber intact and without ATV trails.

And as far as a "drop in the bucket" I'm not sure which states you're talking about but that doesn't come close here. Big game hunting alone has a huge financial contribution and lots of it goes to small independent operators--restaurants, hotels, gas stations, outfitters, etc.

Not to mention fishing, hiking, and just sightseeing in general. Go to a town like Estes Park in the summer and you can hardly drive down Main Street or find a vacant room.

And that doesn't even count the biggest revenue generator, the ski industry.

What if the states were NOT allowed to sell a square inch of it? Seems like an easy fix to me...

I'd be all for that but it'll never happen. The people pushing for this don't want the burden of managing all that land, and they're not doing it to be better stewards of it. Make it so they can't sell the land and their interest will disappear.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The whole premise and value of "public land" went down the toilet when the management of such strayed from the Multiple Use Act that kept things in harmony for so long.

I have no problem with any recreational use on public land. I encourage it. But, that is in danger too. Real danger.

As far as the ski industry generating income for the management of public lands, or any other recreation for that matter, I'd have to see the amount put into the management budget from that before I can evaluate it.

How much money goes to the BLM or Forest Service from ski tickets? Or hunting? Or shooting?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As far as the ski industry generating income for the management of public lands, or any other recreation for that matter, I'd have to see the amount put into the management budget from that before I can evaluate it.

How much money goes to the BLM or Forest Service from ski tickets? Or hunting? Or shooting?

I think we're talking about two different types of revenue generation. I'm talking about revenue that goes into the local economy, not management fees. Although the ski resorts do lease their lands.

So it's indirect, in the form of tax revenues.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness as far as tax revenues are concerned...

How fair is it that half the United States pay taxes on something that will never have the chance to use or enjoy?

Perhaps we could institute a tax that pays for hunting leases for those that don't have public land to hunt?

How fair is it that the majority of the environmental terrorists that have been responsible for the closing and added regulations of public lands have never paid a fee, or taxes for that matter, to support public land in any fashion?

Should they even have any say-so in the matter?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I think we're talking about two different types of revenue generation. I'm talking about revenue that goes into the local economy, not management fees. Although the ski resorts do lease their lands.

So it's indirect, in the form of tax revenues.

That's nice for the local economy. But does the land support its self. Who pays when there is a fire. I got an idea it's the taxpayers in the rest of the country. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In fairness as far as tax revenues are concerned...

How fair is it that half the United States pay taxes on something that will never have the chance to use or enjoy?

Perhaps we could institute a tax that pays for hunting leases for those that don't have public land to hunt?

How fair is it that the majority of the environmental terrorists that have been responsible for the closing and added regulations of public lands have never paid a fee, or taxes for that matter, to support public land in any fashion?

Should they even have any say-so in the matter?
How fair is it that people in the sparsely populated west pay the enormous welfare bill generated by the big cities on both coasts? It all balances out.
We'll exempt the east if the east will exempt us.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Each of these sportsmen and women positively impact our economy through the purchase of tags, licenses, guns, ammunition, bows, gear, hunting trips (that pump money into local economies through meals, lodging, etc.), memberships, and the state and federal taxes that go along with those purchases (2).

....."In 2011, the money spent on all of these hunting products and activities added up to a total of $38.3 billion (3), with an economic multiplier effect (the final income arising from a new injection of spending) of $86.9 billion! That $38.3 billion in 2011 was more revenue than Google brought in for that same year. Sportsmen are spending an average of $8 million per day, an impressive total that few recreational industries can boast. When it comes to local economic impact, that amounts to $11.8 billion in state and federal tax revenues, annually...."

http://protecttheharvest.com/2014/11/14/hunting-america-economy/
This article would seem to say that hunting use is seriously an economic force to be reckoned with. Any use that did NOT include hunting would be economic suicide.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.