Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I've killed plenty of deer while wearing leather boots. I agree with Rock Chuck. I think whoever came up with the idea of marketing rubber footwear to deer hunters based on the idea of scent control is a marketing genius. If you need them for walking through puddles great but otherwise wear whatever is comfortable.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The idea of scent control with rubber boots is that they don't let scent "out" from what's inside. Nothing can be done about the scent that is already on the outside....step in petro and you carry the scent of petro, though it will retain a scent for far less time than leather. You leave behind the scent of the boot (and what it's stepped in) but not of what's inside the boot. Rubber smells like rubber and for a short time whatever it's stepped in, it's not scent free but it is containing the scent of what's inside the boot....leather retains scent and smells like whatever has been in it, what's in it, where it's been stored, what it's stepped in, etc, and it will leave that scent behind.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've been wearing Lacrosse boots for many years, first the pac style boots with the rubber bottoms with tops made out of leather or cordura, but for the last 12 years or so have been wearing a pair of LaCrosse Burly uninsulated boots like pictured above. I wear them for turkey season and deer season unless it is below freezing and then I wear some 800 gram thinsulate Danners.

I have a lot of miles (from turkey hunting mostly) on these boots with no sign of dry rot or any signs of wearing out.

I don't know about the scent proof part, but hunting in swampy areas they do come in handy. I've watched deer cross where I've walked with rubber boots, and other boots and it never fazed them, unless they were downwind of my stand.

In my part of Alabama most hunters who are looking for waterproof boots are wearing either LaCrosse or Muck. The neoprene on mucks would be fine if its cold enough but most of the time, they are just too hot for me wear and they will get ripped if you are in areas with lots of sticks or brush to walk through.

I shared a camp in western Kansas with a group of hunters from Louisiana and the mud room where we left our boots looked like an ad for Lacrosse with 6 pair of Burly's and one lone set of Mucks lined up.

Bob.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You have to wear rubber boots to set pig traps, you will never catch a pig if you have on leather boots. Rubber boots leave a whole lot less scent when you scatter corn or going to your stand.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The idea of scent control with rubber boots is that they don't let scent "out" from what's inside. Nothing can be done about the scent that is already on the outside....step in petro and you carry the scent of petro, though it will retain a scent for far less time than leather. You leave behind the scent of the boot (and what it's stepped in) but not of what's inside the boot. Rubber smells like rubber and for a short time whatever it's stepped in, it's not scent free but it is containing the scent of what's inside the boot....leather retains scent and smells like whatever has been in it, what's in it, where it's been stored, what it's stepped in, etc, and it will leave that scent behind.

Good post.

I don't think rubber boots are "scent free," but they darn sure don't hold scent like leather. I always make it a point to thoroughly rub my rubber boots in the first water hole I can find b4 walking in and have fooled many deer. They still stop and sniff, but most times do not spook.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm on my 3rd set of Lacrosse burly boots since the early 80s. I have bowhunted with them and leather boots and I have had deer close with both on. I primarily wear mine because I get less ticks and chiggers wearing them when it's warm. Or when I am going to walk in lots of mud and water.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some muck boots that are about 5 years old, not sure what model. They are very comfortable.
I do not wear them anywhere but in the field. I don't even drive my truck with them on. you do not want to wear scent proof hunting boots anywhere that can contaminate them, like filling your truck up at the gas station.
Properly maintained rubber hunting boots will keep deer detection of your presence down considerably. I hunt some very small properties including the 27 acres at my house. With small properties it isn't always feasible to have your own trails to avoid detection by the deer. The scent free rubber boots are essential to keep my spots from burning out.

Last edited by 1911a1; 01/10/17.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I first started hunting Whitetail it seemed I would never get any nice bucks and does were tough to get as well. As soon as I started wearing rubber boots and hunting 30-35' up in my TreeLounge I began to I became successful, like flipping a switch.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had the same Lacrosse boots for about 10 years now and they are far from worn out. I just picked up a pair of Lacrosse Aero's not because the others were worn but the Aero's being neoprene and rubber are a bit lighter. I also have a pair of Lacrosse uninsulated full rubber boots I wear to fish both in fresh and saltwater, those are going on 10+ years as well with no leaks or complaints. Never bought them really for scent control, more for the warmth and waterproofing. Here in New England you don't need to go very far to be in a swamp(cedar or otherwise). I tried on some Muck boots when buying the new Lacrosse boots but they did not feel to me to have the same type of ankle fit as Lacrosse

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For hunting Whitetails here, I step in cowshidt for scent control. Bull schidt actually works the best.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weather dependent on foot ware here from rubber to leather and fabric. All sorts have game (predators/vegetarians) have crossed my paths and showed no knowledge of my recent presence. I do not, however, run about in stocking feet.

Start walking with the wind though and it's a different game indeed.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/17.

1Minute
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Weather dependent on foot ware here from rubber to leather and fabric. All sorts have game (predators/vegetarians) have crossed my paths and showed no knowledge of my recent presence. I do not, however, run about in stocking feet.

Start walking with the wind though and it's a different game indeed.

This past weekend I watched a button buck follow my steps from the day before. He followed them right to the point of a blood trail from a buck I shot minutes before...and he followed that blood trail to the edge of a bluff (that the buck went over). I finally ran him off to go get the buck.

Maybe I just stink, but I've watched all sorts of game pick up my tracks....even with rubber boots (and without).

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by roundoak
For hunting Whitetails here, I step in cowshidt for scent control. Bull schidt actually works the best.

Around deer season, for that you might as well wear hip boots then. Because that's how deep the bull schidt is. laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would get a pair that are really comfortable and just warm enough for those cold mornings. Keep them clean, store them in a tote when not in use, stay off the deer paths as much as possible and hunt upwind. My experience says that no boot is scent free.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by roundoak

Around deer season, for that you might as well wear hip boots then. Because that's how deep the bull schidt is. laugh

all I know is that the longer I hunt, the more I realize that I know nothing about hunting.

Some of the smartest well equipped internet deer hunters who do more blogging than hunting will tell you they have an battery powered Ozone generator and wear charcoal lined underwear to mask their farts.

Hunt the wind, wear rubber boots or not, hunt at the right times, be still, don't play on your phone, enjoy being in the woods with God's creation on display.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
charcoal lined underwear to mask their farts
I can think of some people who could really use those but they're not necessarily hunters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm gonna cast my vote for the Mucks. My pair of Muck Wetlands are at least four years old now IIRC. Couldn't tell ya if they are more scent free but they seem to me to be O.K.. But I don't do stuff like pumping gas with them on if I'm gonna hunt in them any time soon. They're great for walking but you gotta make sure they fit you and a pair of heavy socks. Two years ago the winter was super cold and the only time my feet ever got cold was sitting still in 12 degree weather during deer season (after the first hour I had cold feet). I also did a lot of work related outdoor walking and snowshoeing with them in sub-zero temps and never had cold feet as long as I was moving. I think if they had any scent on them it wouldn't stay on them as long as it would stay on leather/nylon boots. I retired last spring so they'll probably last me longer than I thought but if I wear these out I'd gladly get another pair of the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Muck and Bog boots are very similar but they don't fit the same. For me, Mucks just didn't fit right so I went with Bogs. It depends on your foot shape.
I wear them all the time around home in the winter but they don't have the needed support for Rocky Mtn elk hunting. On milder terrain, they'd be great. I've never got cold in them but I've never sat on a stand, either.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ranger99
jmho
the issue with leather is the various
treatments folks use as much as anything.

i never wear boots i'll hunt with to do anything
else. when i get back from the field, they come
off right there. no filling fuel tanks, no campfires,
no cooking, etc.

I used to be just like that. Wearing camo too.

Now I play the wind, and don't worry about the rest. I've killed more than a few coming home from work get out and head to the right area or stand.... work clothes, work boots, that probalby smell like fire at a minimum, leather they are....

I've changed my methods and worry about whats important these days and kill as many if not more, generally speaking more, than I ever used to.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Muck and Bog boots are very similar but they don't fit the same. For me, Mucks just didn't fit right so I went with Bogs. It depends on your foot shape.
I wear them all the time around home in the winter but they don't have the needed support for Rocky Mtn elk hunting. On milder terrain, they'd be great. I've never got cold in them but I've never sat on a stand, either.

Mucks for me. An old pair with the side zip. I have a high instep so lacrosse don't fit. Can't get my feet in them unless they are 2 sizes too big. Then they flop around.

I tried some bogs. Fit good but the sole was slicker than owl schit.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 47 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,710
Posts18,475,395
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.