-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Another thread on the board led me to ask a few questions about the "old" Leica Trinovid 10x42mm binos. I didn't want to hijack the OP's thread, so I'll start this one.

First off, I'm not talking about the BA/BN version of the Trinovids, I'm talking about these.

I assume the binos I provided the link to are the "old" version of the Trinovid and not the newer version no one seems to be satisfied with.

Where was the older version made; Germany or Portugal?

What are the differences between the two?

I done some reading on this subject about a year ago here, but I just can't recall much. If anyone still has some of the older threads bookmarked, please provide me with the links, I'd like to score a set of 10x42s between Christmas and the New Year.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
http://www.allbinos.com/index.html?test=lornetki&test_l=302

Read the review, below data collection / bulleted summary. They cover a lot of the history.

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Leica Trinovid you mention was produced from 2012-15,
as a less expensive alternative to the Ultravid series,
that retailed for over $2,000.00

The Trinovid shared the same high quality glass as the reg.
Ultravid pre HD, and also shared the same diopter adjuster
syle, and this was Leica's revival of the Trinovid in a
more mid-range price that is so popular today. They originally sold in the $1,300. range. They are made in Leica's plant in Portugal, as are many of the Ultravids.

The Trinovid HD is now even lower priced in the under $1,000. range to compete with the Zeiss Conquest.
Some reviewers have compared both and say the original
Trinovid is a bit better, as the HD has less features, and
lesser glass types.

The Allbinos review above, does not include a mention of
this model at all.
I own this Trinovid in 8x42, and it is a very nice binocular
and I would recommend it at these close out prices now
available.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Some good info thus far, those "old" ones are to my eyes very nice binos..if you're in the market I'd grab some if you can find them.
Some more reading for you:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=331376

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not really seeing where folks are convinced these older versions are any better than the new HD model

... I'm seeing where folks aren't liking the diopter adjustment on eyepiece on the HD model but looks like they're saying the HD's are great to look through and might even be clearer and improved view

Last edited by RickyBobby; 12/23/16.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

They are made in Portugal. I have a pair. They are mechanically identical to the Ultravids. Slight cosmetic difference. Focus and diopter adjustment are excellent. Very light and smooth, feel like a Schmidt and Bender parallax knob. Beautiful image, real sharp but noticeable CA, not real bad but more than a top end Zeiss. Well worth the $900 scopelist is asking.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want a pair of the 8X I didn't have the coin to buy both and now do....

If you really look around at older threads when the HD version first was produced you will find reviews and never saw a reputable review where the HD could hang with the previous version. I compared my 10x42 to my previous BA which was a very good sample (I bought and sold probably 5-6 sets) and the rev2 was sharper and lighter.

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not really seeing where folks are convinced these older versions are any better than the new HD model

... I'm seeing where folks aren't liking the diopter adjustment on eyepiece on the HD model but looks like they're saying the HD's are great to look through and might even be clearer and improved view

I had the new model , it is flimsy compared to the old model and the view is no better if not slightly worse. I take interweb evaluations of optics with a grain of salt, unfortuntely that involves actually buying a pair or scope and trying it out and if not up to what I want, it heads down the road. I own the previous version 8x42

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 918v
They are made in Portugal. I have a pair. They are mechanically identical to the Ultravids. Slight cosmetic difference. Focus and diopter adjustment are excellent. Very light and smooth, feel like a Schmidt and Bender parallax knob. Beautiful image, real sharp but noticeable CA, not real bad but more than a top end Zeiss. Well worth the $900 scopelist is asking.

Same here and they can be found for around $800 from Leica dealers on Ebay.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Originally Posted by 918v

Same here and they can be found for around $800 from Leica dealers on Ebay.

Not lately....the HD's but not the previous version...

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I own 2 pair of the old Trinvoid 10x42 and gave them last Christmas as presents to my wife and daughter. Very well built, same as the Ultravid but with two cosmetic changes (Hinge & Strap Loop). If you can find them buy them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,991
Posts18,499,927
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.