Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Remember watching some loggers in Maine who used horses instead of skidders. Pretty cool.

Last edited by Mike_S; 01/12/17.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
I was never around many Shetlands, but they were all mean. Probably just spoiled, but I did not own them, just around a little. miles

Miles one of the memories of my dad. Uncle had a shetland corraled at his place. My dad was feeding shetland when uncle was gone. Shetland would wait until my dad went to put the hay in the feed box with his back turned, and shetland would bite him on the back. Solution? My dad waited for the shetland to reach over, then real quick gave him a left hook in the nose. After that, he said shetland would go to the other end of the corral.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, typically shetlands are just kid spoiled.

I have owned several. And known several more that friends owned as kids. We had a little petite shetland mare for my son and daughter when they were five and six.

My son was a year older and quite aggresive. He could get on that little horse and do anything he wanted. She was a little sweetheart.

My five year old daughter would get on the pony and the mare would immediately try to rub her off on a tree. Or she would just lie down with Valarie in the saddle. Valarie hated that horse. But it was just a matter of what the horse was allowed to get away with.

Most people buy a shetland and give it to a kid, who has no idea how to train it. So the horse is never properly educated.

That was true in the case of this mare we bought. She was about twelve years old when we got her. And she already knew how to tell who she could screw around with.

Some horses are just like some people. They are naturally lazy and will put forth no more effort than they absolutely have to. They will pull any trick to get out of work.

And some love the feel of effort and fresh air in their lungs. Lots of horses have to be held back so they don't hurt their self by getting too hot or becoming "wind broke".

Some come running eagerly to be harnassed or saddled. And some have to be driven into a small catch pen or baited with grain, just to get a rope around their neck.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Remember watching some loggers in Maine who used horses instead of skidders. Pretty cool.

My dad and his brothers used to log on Mt. Blue in Farmington, Maine back in the 40's. They had a 2 horse system, dad would fell a tree and limb it out then hook it up to one horse who dragged it down to his brother at the landing. Then his brother would send the other horse up to my dad before unloading the log and stacking it so there was always one horse pulling and one getting a rest. The horse's would go up and down the tote road by themselves, never took off or got lost..

Last edited by CEJ1895; 01/13/17.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by milespatton
I was never around many Shetlands, but they were all mean. Probably just spoiled, but I did not own them, just around a little. miles
The biggest problem with Shetlands is that a normal sized person can't get on them to train them. Most have been semi-trained by kids who don't know how. There are some very good Shetland saddle horses out there but most are just spoiled brats. They're probably best trained by smaller experienced women who can ride them hard.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Blame it on training if you wish, but there are several pony breeds and, as far as I know, only the Shetland has a consistent reputation for being ornery. I'll stop short of saying mean, although some clearly are.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 3,412 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.