Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

My observation is, as time goes by fewer and fewer people have to do manual labor to make a living. So fewer and fewer people are accustomed to it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to find a kid that wants to work around here. Too many under the table cash gigs growing, cutting, and processing pot. Plus the bene's if you know what I mean. Must pay well, Dorito sales up 65%.

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I ain't a 'generation' blamer, folks are folks.

That said, if I was one, I'd put it square on the Boomers. What a worthless bunch of f*cks, as a whole. Especially the early part of that generation.

Yep, it's us boomers that coddled and handed out participation trophies. Luckily our son saw the light after a year or two of Liberal Arts and shifted gears into welding.
One thing that bothered me as he was finishing up HS was how those that were going the CC or trade route were looked down upon by the ones going the BA etc route.
Around here the local CC is called Harvard on the Hill by HS seniors and most that plan to go there don't really want any of their peers to know. crazy
After 2 years there our son stepped immediately into a $100K year welding position.

FJB & FJT
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it varies by the person, just like it always did. I have two boys, one 18 and one 13. The 13 year old is still somewhat lazy, but I'll get it out of him.

I've so far been very impressed with the willingness of the older son to work and learn. He performs all maintenance and repairs on his truck, plays baseball, works in hay, builds barns, has straight a's in school, and is taking all the dual enrollment college courses available to him.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/13/millennials-are-falling-behind-their-boomer-parents.html

One of the problems with your stance is that a lot of those in the big box stores building things are working on their own homes, and home ownership isn't as obtainable as it was for your generation, and incomes certainly aren't keeping pace either... We can blame lazy millenials all we want, but baby boomers that didn't plan for retirement, were laid off pre-retirement, etc. all staying in the job market past retirement are negatively affecting all the younger generations' job prospects and mobility. It's easy to look down upon them as lazy do-nothings, but you've probably never had a student loan payment that's as big as a house payment, which many of them do. We can argue whether those student loans were necessary, but the facts support having a college degree leads to on average higher earnings so the investment is hard to argue with even though the consequences of that debt is far-reaching. You also have to consider that some of your observations could be biased as many baby-boomers were pot-smoking flower children at similar points in their lives so it's hard for me to understand that generation casting stones at anyone for "laziness"...

I was born in '56 and I never met a flower child in my life. I knew a few pot smokers in college, But they sure as hell were.no hippies.

The hippies were definitely around on the 60"s. But from observation they were a tiny minority who made noise out of all proportion to their numbers.

Having worked as a foreman of a crew for 35 years, It is a hell of a lot harder to find young men today who are willing to put in a 10 hour day of labor than it was in 1980.

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 01/13/17.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nobody likes real work anymore

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My kids are in their 30s, not sure where millennials start and stop. But my kids did work hard in high school and college. Now they have jobs that require far less physical labor. But they work long hours with lots of responsibility.
Its how they were raised, not what generation they come from.
I shucked many bales as a farm kid and worked 60-80 hours a week in the summer. Many friends did the same. Some others whose parents had money went to the swimming pool to work on their tan.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Could bring legal Latino's into the R side once they start making legit construction/skilled labor wages.

It will throw the middle class labor workers into the R side and out of the old Dem/union model.

Get used to work kids, because opportunity knocks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it comes down to the circles you find yourself in. More of less, lazy worthless kids are sired by lazy worthless parents. I don't associate with such parents, and find that their kids seem to be like their parents: intelligent, hard working and motivated.

I'm pretty confident if you see the high school kids that are taking multiple AP classes, have a high GPA, play varsity sport(s) and have a part time job you'll have an entirely different viewpoint on the future.

What I am entirely sick of is the self absorbed baby boomer generation that thinks the world revolves around them. It's time for them to move over and let the next generation take the helm. Perhaps the next generations will see how hollow the me generation was and not follow their mistakes.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
What I do see is a lot of boomers who want to enrich themselves off the backs of the x and mill generations. Pay dirt cheap wages, treat them poorly, and expect 100% effort and loyalty. Mills don't put up with that.

Whenever I hear someone complaining about nobody wanting to "work" for them, it's usually an indication of leadership skills rather than the workforce.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Nobody likes real work anymore

That includes me

I've worked hard

I think it sucks

Used to take pride in it, but I was dumber back then

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I blame it on the "Greatest Generation". They did a great job defeating the Germans and Japanese but then totally effed up raising their kids, and it's been downhill ever since with an increasingly steeper slope at every generational classification.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
To me it's a matter of opportunity. I was one of those early boomers. I learned hard work from my parents. I also learned hard work by the fact that if I wanted something as a kid, I needed to work to earn money, to buy it. I wanted to go to college, which would be the first person in my family to do so. I took the opportunity to work at the local plywood mill. On a quarter to quarter basis they allowed me to shift from graveyard to swing shift, and to arrange my college schedule accordingly. I made good money, enough to help my divorced mom pay a mortgage and to save for educational efforts after college. I worked full time (actually more than full time as I worked as much overtime and holiday time as I could) all during college (3.5 years). Those jobs don't exist as they did 40 some year ago. We now value owls more than people. And now kids are told that their future is in outdoor recreation - a service level job that is certainly not 24/7 365 days a year, nor does it pay as much.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Root hog, or die.

^^^This^^^

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by bobhanson1
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/13/millennials-are-falling-behind-their-boomer-parents.html

One of the problems with your stance is that a lot of those in the big box stores building things are working on their own homes, and home ownership isn't as obtainable as it was for your generation, and incomes certainly aren't keeping pace either... We can blame lazy millenials all we want, but baby boomers that didn't plan for retirement, were laid off pre-retirement, etc. all staying in the job market past retirement are negatively affecting all the younger generations' job prospects and mobility. It's easy to look down upon them as lazy do-nothings, but you've probably never had a student loan payment that's as big as a house payment, which many of them do. We can argue whether those student loans were necessary, but the facts support having a college degree leads to on average higher earnings so the investment is hard to argue with even though the consequences of that debt is far-reaching. You also have to consider that some of your observations could be biased as many baby-boomers were pot-smoking flower children at similar points in their lives so it's hard for me to understand that generation casting stones at anyone for "laziness"...

I was born in '56 and I never met a flower child in my life. I knew a few pot smokers in college, But they sure as hell were.no hippies.

The hippies were definitely around on the 60"s. But from observation they were a tiny minority who made noise out of all proportion to their numbers.

Having worked as a foreman of a crew for 35 years, It is a hell of a lot harder to find young men today who are willing to put in a 10 hour day of labor than it was in 1980.

That was my point-entire generations are being written off based on the actions/mentality of a few, and in many cases it's a function of who you associate with or where you live. You weren't a flower child, but some minority of your generation was so do you agree with all of their positions? Same goes for the millenials as many are working twice as hard to get half as far as others have noted, but yet we're stereotyping the entire lot based on the ones we see living in the basement or rioting on TV while ignoring the ones working 80+ hours a week trying to get by... It's been that way forever and probably always will be in terms of wanting to think those that come after have it easier, but the numbers seem to agree with the fact that millenials are getting a raw deal in general...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it goes back to that old proverb about finding what you look for. If you look for lazy millennials, X-ers,boomers,etc. you will find them.

My kids are x-ers/millennials and they and their spouses and most of their acquaintances are good honest hard working folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Cut off welfare and see how fast those 30 somethings toughen up and get to work.
This coddling shiett from cradle to grave by .gov is ending on 1/20/17..

Well, maybe.............time will tell how successfully that can be done.

MM

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by nealglen37
We will have a big problem with jobs building infrastructure, and bringing manufacturing back, millennials. Most of them can't or won't do anything that requires manual labor. Not all but most. Most people in big box stores who are building things are in their 50s. Most today don't know what it's like to actually put in a hard days work, where your sore and tired when you come home. I have seen so many 30 somethings that won't even mowe their lawns, or do any maintenance on their cars. Am I wrong, or just getting old, your thoughts

https://pjmedia.com/trending/2016/08/16/millennials-literally-cant-pull-their-weight-either/

No schidt...

Gen "X" ain't much better. They're having a hard time getting enough production employees to work overtime so they can run the plant on weekends. Even the union told them at a meeting a few weeks ago that if they don't want to work we can find someone who will.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

The difference is simply that promising young men have more choices OTHER than a labor job. Any hardworking kid with half a brain has an opportunity to go to college, and many, most, do.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I blame it on the "Greatest Generation". They did a great job defeating the Germans and Japanese but then totally effed up raising their kids, and it's been downhill ever since with an increasingly steeper slope at every generational classification.

Sadly I agree with you, but I also understand why they did what they did. I'll give my dad as an example. His dad fought in WWI, got gassed by the Germans but didn't die, immediately, did die when dad was two. Single mom raised two boys during the great depression, she worked a full time job and dad and his brother worked with mom on side jobs. Uncle got killed in WWII.

Needless to say dad had a bit of suffering growing up. He wanted it better for his kids. Fortunately we saw his work ethic and mostly followed along.

That said, I think to a degree the greatest generation didn't want their kids to suffer, but in so doing made the softest generation. Struggle and hard work is imperative to forming people of character. And those boomers who were deprived of that necessary struggle grew up to be the self absorbed narcissists they are.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (160user, 257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 905 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.