Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rondrews
To be concerned about the caliber of your gun when you look at ammo prices is sort of ludicrous. You pay $300-$600 for your gun and worry about $10 bucks extra for a box of 50 rounds. Almost like the guy who buys a Truck with 4 wheel drive and the biggest V-8 he can get then complains about his gas mileage. I am not wealthy, but the last thing I look at is the price on a box of bullets. If you are CC person, one box should do. If you are a target or plinking person, buy a rimfire and get cheap bullets.
Or get a Glock in 9mm for the range, and carry the 20. A Glock, of roughly the same barrel and grip length, is essentially a Glock. Get good with your 17 and you will be comfortable enough come the day you need to draw your 20, if you want a 20 for concealed carry.

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To be concerned about the caliber of your gun when you look at ammo prices is sort of ludicrous. You pay $300-$600 for your gun and worry about $10 bucks extra for a box of 50 rounds. Almost like the guy who buys a Truck with 4 wheel drive and the biggest V-8 he can get then complains about his gas mileage. I am not wealthy, but the last thing I look at is the price on a box of bullets. If you are CC person, one box should do. If you are a target or plinking person, buy a rimfire and get cheap bullets.

Ridiculous!

One should practice with his carry weapon.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I think that if I do buy a Glock it would be a 10mm or 45 acp.

I had a 10mm Glock, traded it off recently.

When you go to stores that sell ammo, count the amount and variety of .45acp rounds on the shelves, then go look if there's any 10mm available.

If there is 10mm on the shelves, take a moment to be surprised, then go compare prices crazy

Of course if you usually reload or mail-order your ammo this might not be a concern, but it was for me.

Birdwatcher

I found a good deal on 10mm ammo (bulk) and then bought the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My thinking is you should run at least 500 rounds through a CC gun to make sure it's reliable enough to carry. And then comes practice.

And it's not just price, it's availability. If anything positive has come out of the past 8 years its the realization you can't expect to buy a box of ammo or reloading components anytime you want.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
pal, No one would dispute that. But to be concerned about a few bucks for ammo is not ridiculous, it's ludicrous. How much is your life worth?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Some people are so cost conscious that they keep looking at gas pump prices, trying to get the best price for a penny or two a gallon, until they run out of gas. Find the gun that suits your needs and worry about a buck or two of ammo later.

Last edited by rondrews; 01/11/17.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
What's the price difference in 1000 rounds of 10mm vs 1000 rounds of 9mm for practice?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
What's the price difference in 1000 rounds of 10mm vs 1000 rounds of 9mm for practice?

Per Midwayusa -

1k rounds CCI Blazer 200 TMJ 10mm: $589.99
1k rounds CCI Blazer FMJ (115, 124, or 147): $239.99-244.99

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

About 100 bucks.

But if you want to train with what you shoot it gets very expensive very quick. And if a guy runs a box of 20 XTP's or whatever through his carry gun, and thinks it's good to go, he's making a big mistake.

And not to beat up on the 10mm, but there is a very good chance that guys are shooting overpriced 40's in their 10mm if they are buying factory ammo.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a reason I wouldn't want to be a 'thing' with the Bumblebee in my hands.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was being a smart azz with the question. Point was to shoot more for less cost. I was thinking it would be a 2 to 1 cost difference.

Yes, 10mm is just a hair more on pop but a fair bit more on $. I probably run 50 .40's through my 10mm's for every 10mm round.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by deflave

About 100 bucks.

But if you want to train with what you shoot it gets very expensive very quick. And if a guy runs a box of 20 XTP's or whatever through his carry gun, and thinks it's good to go, he's making a big mistake.

And not to beat up on the 10mm, but there is a very good chance that guys are shooting overpriced 40's in their 10mm if they are buying factory ammo.

Dave

bingo, when i first got my glock i got in two boxes of remington factory which was running at same speed as .40s&w. I reload so that was rectified.
as to a glock and 10mm, one could for what, about 150bucks by a 40 barrel which would work perfectly fine in it?
I stuck my baby glock back in the fanny pack, it's labeled .357sig on the side of the frame. Today it's a .40s&w, somedays its a 9mm.
Not a difficult thing. the orignal gun comes with something like 8 or nine rounds. I have 13rounders with it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got that 10mm Glock 29 for two reasons: One was the sheer fun quotient at the range of that many cumulative ft pounds in that size gun (Buffalo Bore 200gr solids was my carry ammo grin ).

The other reason was that one wet spring I got tired of walking right up on feral hogs in tall thick weeds while doing bird surveys, including sows nursing piglets, and especially that one time a really big boar hog was standing maybe 20 yards out and huffing at me despite my yelling and waving. (Hey, some guys worry about snakes, I get to worry about feral hogs). So I wanted something concealable that would best knock down inbound hogs.

Then this past fall I needed really good binocs, and Swift Audubon 8.4x44 porros at $500 are the cheapest way to get there. So goodbye Glock. I was getting frustrated with it anyway, ammo was scarce and like a dollar a round when I did find it, especially the 200 grain solids I was wanting to practice with.

I got no quarrel with the 10, and more power to those who favor it. But I'm pretty sure the various 9mm loads can meet my needs, even w/hogs. Criminals in the desert ain't likely around here, and even if they were, I'd be far from helpless with a 9.

Just recently the local Academy was having a sale; 50 rounds of 147g 9mm ball at $12 for 50. If I was buying 20 boxes (if they would sell me that many) that works out to 1K rounds for $240, over the counter.

IME,
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by whelennut
19 below zero forecast for Thursday am.
Try oiling your semi auto and leaving it outside overnight in your vehicle. I am betting it will be sluggish.
The main reason I prefer revolver, although looking in a snowbank for 9mm brass would not be high on my list for having a good time.
whelennut

Try bringing your pistol inside where you spend the night and it's less likely to be stolen.

It's not like you live in a no crime area.

Why the Hell you would be looking in a snowbank for 9mm brass in/after a defensive situation also makes no sense.

Why in the hell would you dig in a snowbank for 9mm brass any time?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

How many rounds do you fire in a year?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Is 5 shots enough against three attackers?

That depends on you. How good are you with your gun in stressful, dynamic situations involving moving people? What kind of shape are you in? How good are you in unarmed defense against multiple opponents? How fast do you run?

This part is the important part: Mattisism -- “be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet" --

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
19 below zero forecast for Thursday am.
Try oiling your semi auto and leaving it outside overnight in your vehicle. I am betting it will be sluggish.
The main reason I prefer revolver, although looking in a snowbank for 9mm brass would not be high on my list for having a good time.
whelennut

Are you saying that oil on a revolver is not affected by temperature?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Remlube. Worked on my autos when I lived in ND. I used it on the Glock, Berretta A390 and BAR. No worries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by viking
Remlube. Worked on my autos when I lived in ND. I used it on the Glock, Berretta A390 and BAR. No worries.

This.^

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I had a chance to speak with the gentleman who was beaten by three men.
He was a veteran of the US Army and spent 20 years in the National Guard.
He told me that he was approached by a man who asked him for a cigarette while he was walking his dog at 0600 hrs.

He remembers nothing that happened afterwards.
He crawled home on the brink of death.

In my opinion situational awareness would have been a more important tool than any kind of handgun.
YMMV
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

60 members (akrange, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,910
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.