Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/13/well/eat/food-stamp-snap-soda.html?_r=0

No surprises here. In order to receive food stamps, one should have to pass a drug test, and only buy certain real foods.

- Rogue
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

"The United States Department of Agriculture, which oversees the $74 billion food stamp program called SNAP"

"20 cents of each dollar was spent on a broad category of junk foods that included “sweetened beverages, desserts, salty snacks, candy and sugar.” - or almost 15 BILLION.

- Rogue
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Too bad they don't give out staples like they did when I was a youngster.You had darn well better know how to cook.

It irks me when I have to buy meat.I have to buy the cheap cuts and I see food stampers buying $9/pound steaks.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have seen some small stores let them buy beer and butts. They charge it as food. It happens a lot in minority neighborhoods.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Quite the racket

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've seen em buy a couple of twelve packs of pop, go behind the 7-11 and dump the cans out down the sewer. The take the emptys right back into 7-11 to get the deposit back and buy beer with the money.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It's ridiculous what is going on. Think Warren Buffet, a major coke shareholder.

To top it off, we pay for their obesity via buying them pop and snacks, and then pay to treat their ailments via medicaid. Anybody else think the fix is in? This is just a big transfer of wealth from taxpayers to walmart, coke, and big pharma and the healthcare industry.

Poor people are just pawns in this. They are trapped in poverty so this cycle can continue. We need to ban all processed and sugary drinks from SNAP. Then, we need to tax the hell out of all sugary drinks, snack foods, and processed foods to take that money and directly fund medicaid and healthcare.

If you don't like the tax, don't eat that crap.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore

It irks me when I have to buy meat.I have to buy the cheap cuts and I see food stampers buying $9/pound steaks.

Exactly the way it is here. We buy the cheapest, on sale stuff. 50% of sales in my town are from food stamps. So, the local store jacks up the prices because they know the food stampers will pay for it. It completely skews supply/demand when 50% of the demand will pay for whatever due to food stamps.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I love Dr Pepper!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
I have seen some small stores let them buy beer and butts. They charge it as food. It happens a lot in minority neighborhoods.

Hey hanco ! Were these purchases done by nigs or by black folks ?

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hanco

It's a common practice where I live. They buy beer, cigarettes, gas, etc. at 50 cents on the dollar with food stamps. The country stores ring it up as food and charge $10 for a $5 pack of cigarettes. They only do it with customers they know so they don't get caught.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It ain't the whole story.

They will go fill a shopping basket up with T-Bones and ribeyes, then trade them for beer and cigarettes.

Or a couple of bottle of Ripple.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
It's ridiculous what is going on. Think Warren Buffet, a major coke shareholder.

To top it off, we pay for their obesity via buying them pop and snacks, and then pay to treat their ailments via medicaid. Anybody else think the fix is in? This is just a big transfer of wealth from taxpayers to walmart, coke, and big pharma and the healthcare industry.

Poor people are just pawns in this. They are trapped in poverty so this cycle can continue. We need to ban all processed and sugary drinks from SNAP. Then, we need to tax the hell out of all sugary drinks, snack foods, and processed foods to take that money and directly fund medicaid and healthcare.

You can't go down this road. So do we tax milk because it has too much fat? Are we only allowed to buy untaxed fat free milk?

Last edited by RogueHunter; 01/14/17.

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It's a slippery slope indeed. No way will we ever cut services to those people though.

Something needs to change.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree 100% about the food stamp racket, and if someone else is paying for it, then you should eat what they serve you, or starve.....your choice. But, I don't like the idea of government telling people what they can eat and what they can't.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I was a kid working in the local grocery store they came in books and the checkout person would separate what could be used with them. Today you get a credit card and I don't think it matters what you buy with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mike_S
When I was a kid working in the local grocery store they came in books and the checkout person would separate what could be used with them. Today you get a credit card and I don't think it matters what you buy with them.

The computer sorts it out now. They get 2 balances,... what the food stamps pay for and what you have to pay for in cash.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How 'bout just put an end to SNAP...for ALL able-bodied people...altogether...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

I agree 100% about the food stamp racket, and if someone else is paying for it, then you should eat what they serve you, or starve.....your choice. But, I don't like the idea of government telling people what they can eat and what they can't.

You could still consume it, you'd just be taxed at a higher rate. Like booze.

I'm not a fan of new taxes, but something has to give.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antlers
How 'bout just put an end to SNAP...for ALL able-bodied people...altogether...?

Drug test too.

And not able to draw SNAP if they own 8 pitbulls, or have $3500 worth of tattoos.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.