Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It does have a MAF and I cleaned it, it did not appear to be dirty.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, good !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Put sea foam in it

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got it off the campfire here...

but started with my mower engines having issue with the crap ethanol we get....

started adding 5% diesel fuel to it and that has eliminated the problems ethanol breaking down causes...

have also been using it in my vehicles....

throw a $1.50 to $2.00 worth of diesel in each tank I pick up...

the diesel fuel retards the flame, so essential ups the octane, but diesel also has additives to combat and absorb water in the fuel... which is a present ethanol gives us..

the 5% diesel seems to absorb any water which ethanol gives ya.... certainly worked in the mower motors, as that was the usual problems...

also to see if there is a fuel issue, over at the college, we usually put an unlit propane torch down the intake... if there is a spark, the engine will run.... that's how we eliminate if it is a fuel problem from the tank to the intake...seems to work pretty darn well....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Put sea foam in it
seafoam is ethanol/alcohol based...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would like to know what the fix is when you get it running. Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put a bottle of alcohol in the gas tank sounds like water in the fuel or frozen fuel line filter

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Does it have a chip in the key?

Our Expedition does exactly that with one of the keys, which is now retired as a starter key. The chip went bad. We keep it on our person when traveling as a spare door opener in case we lock the real keys inside. Been known to happen....

frown. And it went bad just like THAT- overnight you might say. One day it worked, the next it did not.

But it sounds like water...
Many cars are designed to start momentarily then quit if the chip doesn't work. Some keys have batteries, too (like my Ram). If that's the case and the battery's dead, it will start momentarily then quit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I won't be able to install the new ignition coil until this evening. This car just has old fashion keys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
There has to be some smart mechanics on the fire.

I have a 2001 chevy prizm, pretty much a toyota corolla.

It ran fine two weeks ago, sat unused in some pretty cold temps. Went to start, it started ran for 1-2 seconds then died. If I try to start it again immediately it will just crank. If I wait a few seconds it'll start then die.

Pushing the gas has almost no effect and it still dies.

I've cleaned the MAF and currently have the throttle body off, cleaned it last night.

Would it start at all if the fuel pump was going?

Where else to look?

Thanks.

Ralph,

Could be numerous things.

MAF can be bad and engine will still start.

One bad cylinder coil, engine should start & run with misfire.

Cold (under 20F) could cause frozen fuel line and no start condition. Once temp reaches 30'sF engine should start.

Check these simple things in this order (from my memory):

#1)Are you getting any OBD codes? If yes, tell me what they read.

#2) Is there spark at each coil (all 4). Pull each coil one at a time. Ground end with insulated screwdriver as someone cranks engine for 3 seconds each. Spark must be blue & jump 1" to ground.

#3) Is there pulsating juice to each injector connector? Remove each injector wire one at a time & re-install after each test. Check + wire with grounded test lamp while someone cranks engine for 3 secs each. You should see bright flashing test light on each injector.

#4) Is there fuel pressure at the injector rail? Best to do with a gauge hooked up. Should read about 40 lbs and hold for 5 minutes.

If you follow these simple steps, you can begin to diagnose your problem. Should not take you more than 1/2 hr total to do these 4 simple steps.

Post your results and I'll try to check back.

-Ken

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Put sea foam in it

Careful with the Seafoam, don't use more than the recommended dosage.

If overdosed it can/will break gunk loose from your fuel tank walls and REALLY cause problems. Been there done that with a motorhome......

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
There has to be some smart mechanics on the fire.

I have a 2001 chevy prizm, pretty much a toyota corolla.

It ran fine two weeks ago, sat unused in some pretty cold temps. Went to start, it started ran for 1-2 seconds then died. If I try to start it again immediately it will just crank. If I wait a few seconds it'll start then die.

Pushing the gas has almost no effect and it still dies.

I've cleaned the MAF and currently have the throttle body off, cleaned it last night.

Would it start at all if the fuel pump was going?

Where else to look?

Thanks.

Ralph,

Could be numerous things.

MAF can be bad and engine will still start.

One bad cylinder coil, engine should start & run with misfire.

Cold (under 20F) could cause frozen fuel line and no start condition. Once temp reaches 30'sF engine should start.

Check these simple things in this order (from my memory):

#1)Are you getting any OBD codes? If yes, tell me what they read.

#2) Is there spark at each coil (all 4). Pull each coil one at a time. Ground end with insulated screwdriver as someone cranks engine for 3 seconds each. Spark must be blue & jump 1" to ground.

#3) Is there pulsating juice to each injector connector? Remove each injector wire one at a time & re-install after each test. Check + wire with grounded test lamp while someone cranks engine for 3 secs each. You should see bright flashing test light on each injector.

#4) Is there fuel pressure at the injector rail? Best to do with a gauge hooked up. Should read about 40 lbs and hold for 5 minutes.

If you follow these simple steps, you can begin to diagnose your problem. Should not take you more than 1/2 hr total to do these 4 simple steps.

Post your results and I'll try to check back.

-Ken

The only code I got was P1315, going to put a new ignition coil on it this evening. It changed to p1310 when I swapped it with the #3 coil.

But I wondered too why it wouldn't start with a misfire with just one bad ignition coil.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

But I wondered too why it wouldn't start with a misfire with just one bad ignition coil.

Computers...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Should still start with a bad coil.

-Ken

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The new coil did the trick. Fired right up. Took it for a 20 minute drive and ran great.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Congrats!!!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Woohoo

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love a happy ending!

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (badwolf, 257 mag, 35, BABore, 10 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,064
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.