Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope Calvin, not full of it. I have direct experience with a 150 Verado. I am glad Mercury has finally got them figured out. My 2007 150 Verado was a total POS. It stayed in the shop more than it ran and it cost me a buttload each time to fix it. But hey, it only took them a decade to get it right.

would never buy another Mercury that hadn't at least been tested for 5 or 6 years by the public so they can work out the "bugs".

Then again, why buy a Mercury at all when there are such better motors out there. Residual resale value tells the story.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 150 Verado was one of the best they built. When they dropped the 150, guys were scooping up the remaining as quickly as they could. I know 1st gen 150 Verados still running strong with over 4k hours on them. Entire lodges use the 150 and will replace them with the 175 once they blow. 1st gen 250s were a bit wonky, but we still got 2500 hours out of them. The lowers were a bit weak, but that has long been addressed. And we use them hard.

Sorry you got a lemon, but as a whole, they are the best thing going right now.

Didn't warranty cover the first 3 years? I feel there is more to this story...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by hanco
50 on the water is scary

Probably depends on how much hull you've got under you. I've got an 18.5' deep V walleye boat that runs low 50's and my 8yr old daughter sits on my lap and steers it wide open.

This.

My 24' offshore center console will just break 50mph...far from scary and wish I had a little more top end.

My father's 19.5' Ranger will do right at 74mph. Much more "Flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" feeling and at the limit of what is comfortable as a passenger (IMO). Driving it is a different story...can't get enough of it.

I've gone 90mph in a buddy's Allison...once. Won't do that again.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Originally Posted by noKnees
I know there are some applications that just call for an outboard, but before I dropped the kind of cash they cost I would rather have a good straight inboard I can work on cheap.

Boats and cheap don't go in the same sentence. If you're running offshore, reliable is what you want. When you're 20 miles from shore and a $50 part breaks with building swells, you're not going to be patting yourself on the back for your ability to save a buck.

Yep. B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Reliability is paramount. Some inboards are stalwarts in the sport but down here at least, there has been a very steady gravitation towards outboards vs inboards. Reliability isn't as big an issue as it used to be with outboards. The same advancements that have benefited automobiles have steadily made their way into outboards as well. And some things I would have never thought to see on a dedicated saltwater rig either--things like fly-by wire throttles, steering, and monitoring of systems that was once not even imaginable. And maintenance is far simpler on outboards. No need to stand on your head in a filthy bilge to change an oil filter or swap a hose. Outboards give you unlimited access to perform routine engine maintenance and they also don't require additional holes in your hull for cooling.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had two years of warranty remaining after I purchased the boat/motor, but it virtually broke every time I took it out so it was constantly in the shop. After the warranty expired, I pay out of pocket for repairs till I had had enough and sold the package.

No offense meant about Verado's. Mine was just a bad one I guess, but it certainly put a sour taste in my mouth as you might expect. I am sure that in Alaska they get abused about as much is possible for a motor, so if you say folks love them and are getting thousands of hours out of them I can certainly respect your opinion.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
Mercury can't get a 150HP to run right; I'd run away from this.

225 and under I'd be all over from Merc. But I wouldn't touch this with a 10' post.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Then again, why buy a Mercury at all when there are such better motors out there. Residual resale value tells the story.

That I agree with.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 15 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.