Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
[Linked Image]

Christ, I'm in the wrong line of work......

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess I consider myself very lucky, I get to see sheep and rams all of the time since I teach in the very unit BigFin and his buddy sheep hunted in in Colorado. I go through Empire often and have been in the very spot they stood above Georgetown while elk hunting. I have no plans on ever hunting them though. I am pretty sure I am too old to draw a tag at my age. Still they are sure wonderful to run into.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shootsaswede
I guess I consider myself very lucky, I get to see sheep and rams all of the time since I teach in the very unit BigFin and his buddy sheep hunted in in Colorado. I go through Empire often and have been in the very spot they stood above Georgetown while elk hunting. I have no plans on ever hunting them though. I am pretty sure I am too old to draw a tag at my age. Still they are sure wonderful to run into.

What town are you in? I spend a lot of time in that unit in late summer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used to see them along I-70 around Georgetown when I lived up there. They were often right on the shoulder behind the guard rail--looking for salt, I guess.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not do this? Take the top tag on the list for Taos at $95,000. Divide that amount by $25. Sell 3,800 raffle tickets for that tag and do a random drawing. That way anyone has a chance of drawing and it still creates the same amount of money.

I may be wrong, but selling 3,800 raffle tickets for a chance at a ram does not seem that far fetched. Maybe cap it at 100 tickets to try and keep the field level.

Just not a fan of auctioning off wildlife to the highest bidder while tens of thousands of hunters dream of going and yet have no chance. For the record, I've killed my ram and don't really need another.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
Why not do this? Take the top tag on the list for Taos at $95,000. Divide that amount by $25. Sell 3,800 raffle tickets for that tag and do a random drawing. That way anyone has a chance of drawing and it still creates the same amount of money.

I may be wrong, but selling 3,800 raffle tickets for a chance at a ram does not seem that far fetched. Maybe cap it at 100 tickets to try and keep the field level.

Just not a fan of auctioning off wildlife to the highest bidder while tens of thousands of hunters dream of going and yet have no chance. For the record, I've killed my ram and don't really need another.

Kurt, I know you already know this, but a few of these states already have a raffle tag, and they do raise a good amount of money and provide decent odds at one of these tags.

I do like that idea though, and wish more states would do it. For some of the bigger money tags like the MT bighorn, an auction seems to be the best bet for raising a ton of money.

Tanner

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 30338

http://www.rmbsraffle.com/

Since Tanner missed the opp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's only 12,200 raffle tags at $25 a pop. If a guy had a chance at a 200" bighorn in MT for $25 or $50 worth of raffle tickets, how many would try for that? Just set it up that in order for a license to be issued, at least 12,200 tickets must be sold, however long that takes.

Some powerful lobbies out there would not like this solution is the problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And if they raffle one tag now, then go ahead and raffle two with the same parameters. No net loss of revenue, and America's wildlife is truly America's, not just the uber wealthy.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I was at FNAWS in 2013 when my father was getting his award for his FNAWS/Grand Slam. There were 3 people bidding on the Montana Bighorn tag at over $400K. $480K was the winning bid.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
huntssonora, I actually live in Denver but I work at Clear Creek Middle/High School. I have gotten to know Idaho Springs, Empire, Georgetown and Silver Plume quite well since I have worked in the district for 20 years. Lots of hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. As Mudhen has stated you would be hard pressed to live in the county and not see sheep along the interstate.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I know very little about sheep hunting so forgive my ignorance, but why did the Dall's Sheep tags go for so much? Can't one purchase an OTC tag and hunt in Canada or Alaska? I assume it has to do with the unit those particular tags are in?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,446
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.