Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Always wanted a BAR. Don't want the ugly BOSS thing on the end. Settled between (gasp!) .270 and 30-06, leaning -06 since I've got all the components for it. As I understand it the MkII Safari does not have the plastic trigger guard like the Short/Long Tracs, correct? Magazine plastic or metal?

Mostly looking for reasons not to own one from your own experiences, but not really looking to be talked out of it. I know they're not popular like some bolt rifles but I see good things written about them online and what seems to be the usual amount of detractors too.

As far as reloading, seems to be some info out there that slower powders aren't that great for them. Any experience there?

This will mostly be a range gun for me. Not looking to carry it around in the mountains or take 500+ yard shots with it. 100-200 yards is probably all it will see. Throw a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 on it probably.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I can't help you in regards to the new ones. It's been a long time since I've looked at one. However I have 3 older ones. A 270 and a 280 that were bought new in around '92. Both are blued with wood and both are great rifles. I've hunted with the 280 exclusively this year. It groups 1.5 MOA at 100 yards with factory Federal Premium 150g NPs. About the perfect rifle for whitetails a inside 400 yards as far as I'm concerned. They both have steel mags.

Also have a newer BAR in 300wsm that my dad bought around '08. It has the matte finish and synthetic stock and forearm. It will also shoot 1.5 MOA with the factory ammo that it likes. I however do not like it much. It kicks like a mule and has way too much flex where the stock attaches to the receiver. It also has a steel mag.

The Leupold should pair nicely with the BAR. My 300wsm BAR has the same scope in 50mm and it is a touch too big for my liking. But the 280 has 44mm Meopro on it and it's about perfect size wise.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I was looking for a semi-auto hunting rifle, an older BAR would be my choice. Like most Brownings from that era, they're very nicely done, if a bit shiny for my taste. Never shot one, but they have a good reputation regarding accuracy and decent triggers.

I don't care for the newer ones with the alloy receivers and especially the metro-sexual styling common to a lot of newer Brownings of various models, with all the funny angles and odd-looking shapes. I think the innards remain solid, just don't care for the "packaging". A recent review of one in Rifle was very positive.

A few years ago, I saw one a guy brought into an LGS. It was an older .338 with a big, honking scope mounted on it. Nice looking rig, but I bet it weighed at least 10 pounds.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My experience with several of them has been that you can expect at least good hunting accuracy (1-1/2") and some will do around MOA.

Reliability has been excellent. In fact flawless.

They are a little on the heavy side, so I prefer the alloy receiver Stalker models. These have the traditional BAR styling (not ShortTrac/LongTrac styling). I have seen no difference in accuracy or function between the Stalkers and the steel receiver models.

I especially like the floorplate with removable magazine. It's very handy, and you can never lose the "clip".

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I had one like you speak of, although mine was a boss model in 30-06.

They carry really well with the slab sides. Mine would clover leaf 3 rounds, I found the sweet spot. Easy to load and unload.

The only thing bad I can say about it, is the triggers are a little mushy.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All mine have been 100% Belgium. Accuracy ranged from an honest 1/2" .270' to a 7mag R that was around 2". Most printed around 1" to 1 1/4".

The only one I have left is a 1970 Gd III in .30-06. It shoots factory Rem. 150s close to an inch. Beautiful gun. My previous favorites were Gd II.

The triggers can be polished with 800 or 1000 grit wet/dry paper without taking the trigger assembly apart.

The gas system calms 06 recoil down to near .243/.260 levels.

I would not be opposed to a new model. In fact, they market a Zenith model in Europe and Argentina that I would like to get my hands on.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a Belgium made 30-06. It shot 1.5 with anything I fed it and an inch or under with fed premium 150 sierras. Sold it to buy a wedding gift for my wife. One of very few I regret getting rid of.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had an early Belgian made BAR in .270 Winchester. I still have a target in my loading room of 3 shots in 5/8" at 300 yards. Fluke group I know since I never duplicated it but it did regularly shoot into 1" to 1.25" at 100 yards. Am not familiar with current models.
Jim

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Heavy
Triggers are usually not very good
Reliable
Don't feel or carry nearly as well as a good bolt action
Not my choice for sure

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Always wanted a BAR. Don't want the ugly BOSS thing on the end. Settled between (gasp!) .270 and 30-06, leaning -06 since I've got all the components for it. As I understand it the MkII Safari does not have the plastic trigger guard like the Short/Long Tracs, correct? Magazine plastic or metal?

Mostly looking for reasons not to own one from your own experiences, but not really looking to be talked out of it. I know they're not popular like some bolt rifles but I see good things written about them online and what seems to be the usual amount of detractors too.

As far as reloading, seems to be some info out there that slower powders aren't that great for them. Any experience there?

This will mostly be a range gun for me. Not looking to carry it around in the mountains or take 500+ yard shots with it. 100-200 yards is probably all it will see. Throw a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 on it probably.
probably the most reliable center-fire semi-auto available.. Rarely cause problems as long as you are meticulous re: cleaning the chamber.

I'd advise against reloading - use factory ammo only and stay away from nickel-plated/steel case stuff.. Brass only.

About the only thing I run into from time to time is a broken timing latch pin. Simple, inexpensive repair.. Otherwise they keep going like a new Timex..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm interested in this thread, too. I'm considering a 30-06 again, and a BAR would help me a great deal with the recoil vs my no-longer-perfect shoulder. If I may, I'd like to extend the question.

I have a Short Trac which has been very reliable, but I'm curious about the Safari model's inner workings. Can one adjust the current-production Safari model's gas block the way one can with the Short/Long Trac? What else is different between them under the skin?

OP, my 308 (a Hog Stalker, which takes high-capacity detachable mags) has been a very reliable rifle. It also shoots well with some handloads I worked up for it (5 rounds into 0.8" at 100 yds), but it doesn't like some factory ammo as well as that. If mine wasn't so nose-heavy, I'd use it for big game hunting, too. As it is, I bought it more for range & match shooting.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks everyone. It's the BAR or one of those fancy M70 Supergrade AAA Maples. Thinking about it...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I have owned 2 BAR Mark II Safari in 30-06, the first being a BOSS equipped rifle. I found the BOSS unnecessary and LOUD. Nevertheless, I killed a truckload of deer and hogs with it and the 165 gr TBBC. All but one - a rutting buck - DRT. I replaced it with a non-BOSS but otherwise identical rifle and continued to hunt. Both rifles were well under MOA with factory ammo. I reload for the current rifle, 150 gr Partitions and it's good for around .75 MOA.

Both rifles were 100% reliable with any round I fed them, nary a failure to function in 19 years and hundreds of rounds fired off the bench and in the woods.

It's easy to carry with that slab sided reciever, well balanced and pretty handy for a full sized rifle. In my opinion also the best looking semi auto rifle. NOT a fan of the Euro-trashy "Trac" variations. I have bolt rifles in various calibers and even a lever action 45-70 but the BAR is my favorite.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've got a Lightweight Stalker in .243 that shoot's great with Copper Creek's 87 grain VLD load. I've owned a pile a BAR's over the years. They're very reliable, accurate too.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the safari has always been a heavier rifle in my book. The new ones have chromed lined chambers from the browning website. The action lengths are all the same these days, so there is no advantage of getting a 308 over a 30-06. I continue to be tempted to try the LW stalker in 30-06, was waiting until SHOT to see if maybe they would introduce a stainless barreled BAR but that will never happen it seems in my life time. I just cannot believe there is a world of difference between the performance and longevity of the new Mark3 stalker and the older Mark2 safari.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.