Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What other cartridges have y'all used for long long plinking. Just curious.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Oregon45

If you look at pictures of IHMSA revolver competitors, almost all of them use(d) a leather or leather/kevlar blast shield to preserve their pants and protect their legs. I made one out of five layers of leather glued and riveted together and I can shoot a 40 round match with no pain at all.

[Linked Image]

Now that is pretty neat, good job on it! The day I boo-booed, there was some guys practicing with Contender pistols on gongs at 200 yds. They were bracing by placing them against thier leg. Not thinking, I laid down and did the same thing. I bled like a stuck hog from a cut about 2" long as clean as a scalpel would make. Jeans had a matching slice in them. My first thought was I had somehow shot myself. blush Valuable lesson learned (the hardway as usual. )

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just had .41s with me:
4" 57
6" FA 654
4.25" FA 97
5.5" Gary Reeder
5.5" USFA Clements .41 Special

At 800 I only shot the 57 and FA. The loads from the 57 4" were only going 950 fps....when they arrived at 800 only around 550 fps. Had to hold 1/2 the barrel up into the rear sight notch to hit at that range. Midrange trajectory is about 50'.

I've only seen Mackay shoot his 4" and 5" 29s and the Glock 21 that one day...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by viking

.38 Special the 40 S&W and of course the e'speciale.

To the 250 anyway.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
W-W...none of my bullets had any problem staying stable out at 800 yards... I only used three at 800 which were:

255 LBT at 1450

240 Lyman Round Nose at 1450

210 Berry's plated at 950.

Also have shot Keiths out to 500.

As to how low a velocity one can go with a given bullet, twist rate and gun...not really sure... Just have to try it and find out.

A football goes a long way if it is initially stabilized...my belief is if a handgun bullet is stable and accurate at 50 it will make it out as far as practical.

IC B2

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've seen Flave shoot and I can only say I wish I was as rock solid as Iceman...

He put three or four out of six on a gallon jug DA with my .41 S&W Mountain Gun...at 100 yards...standing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
I've seen Flave shoot and I can only say I wish I was as rock solid as Iceman...

That was sober.

You should see me when I've been drinking.

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM

A football goes a long way if it is initially stabilized...my belief is if a handgun bullet is stable and accurate at 50 it will make it out as far as practical.

I would agree with this.

Dave

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I like moderate loads for distance shooting in the 44's and 45's. Lower recoil helps when it takes a cylinder or two to get on target grin

For under 300 meters my favorite is the .357 Maximum. Flat trajectory, moderate recoil and great accuracy in my Ruger Blackhawk. The 200gr bullets I load fall off past 300, and don't raise as much dust as the heavier 44 and 45 slugs, so spotting hits from dust blooms is more difficult.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Mike, Elmer didn't brag of killing hawks, owls, and feral horses.. That was a way of life before the yuppies screwed up wildlife laws..I remember those times, and participated in some of it.. We had lots of game and few predators. Now we have lots of hawks, owls , wolves and little game.. You are talking about a man from a different time and way of life.. They were much better than the green crap we endure today!

A bit more about this.

Keith lived in an area with a significant wild horse population. For the urbanite-non westerners this sounds wonderful, and all John Wayne-ish. For a rancher/farmer it was (and still is) a problem.

People invest years, even decades building up a breed line and remuda/herd. They have an incredible amount of money, time and effort invested. Feral mustangs get into these herds and breed with mares and can destroy that hard work. They also can introduce disease and sickness into a domestic herd.

Plus they interfere with rangeland management practices. People don't realize this these days, but at one point there were well over a MILLION wild horses running loose. It was a very common practice during the era, to put them down, rather than have them destroy people's livelihoods.

Today, in the same county that Keith lived in and often wrote about, there is a rather large herd of wild mustangs. They are a very short distance from my cabin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
That's certainly helpful, thanks. My go-to cartridge is 357 and I've been eyeing the 160 or 180 WFN at 1200-ish fps as an all around load for varmints, deer, and just having fun plinking at 100 - 300 yards. There are some who say the meplat is too large for stability at long ranges.

A man's capacity is usually relative to his goals.
-Karl Erlich, The Sea Chase
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
Mackay/ RJM,

In a pic above, one of you is holding a blue 5" S&W N frame with a fiber optic front sight. I've always heard and believed that such a sight would be difficult for use in long range shooting. Please share your experience. How did that work?

Edited to add:

Also, RJM, you mention that you were shooting a 255 gr WFNGC. Again and again I have read that the WFN profile isn't stable at long distance. That evidently is not your experience. At what velocity are you pushing those? If you loaded them down, do you think they would remain stable?

In regards to the F.O. front sight. Yes, they are less than ideal for long range. That was simply the sight I had on the M29 that day. It has an interchangeable front sight, so swapping is easy. The preferred setup is a tall sight with horizontal bars. RJM has an ideal one of one of his Freedom Arms guns. I took one of my spare S&W blades and filed notches in it, then added orange paint, to approximate the same effect.

It is not pretty aesthetically but it works. When I find a pic, I will post it.

Where the fiber optic works great is shooting quickly, and in failing light, as well as snow. It really seems to gather what remaining light there is and draws your eye to it. I really like them for general purposes, but not for the long range game.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Where the fiber optic works great is shooting quickly, and in failing light, as well as snow. It really seems to gather what remaining light there is and draws your eye to it. I really like them for general purposes, but not for the long range game."....Jack Rabbits don't like them either....

Custom Long Range blade by David Clements...

[Linked Image]

Right: US Firearms Flat Top Target
Left: US Firearms Clements Custom

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Clements .41 Special with matching .22/.22 Magnum

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I was contemplating this topic this morning while driving, and the fact that many thought Keith was full of crap.

Without seeing the pics, and corroborations in this thread, I doubt your average person, in fact I doubt most people would believe a single word if a person said the following:

" I watched a friend make numerous hits on a target at 780 yards with an iron sighted handgun."

I once shot a target with my Glock at 780 yards."

Sounds pretty far fetched, right?

These days phones and pocket digital cameras abound and pictures are easy to share. Not so in Mr. Keith's day.

It is kind of like this:

I was coyote hunting one time with a buddy, and came back to the truck after an unsuccessful set. While standing there I saw a Jackrabbit out in the brush a ways. I told my buddy "I am going to shoot that Jack in the head".

I pulled out my .45 Glock (with target sights), held between his ears and popped him. We walked out, found him and used my LRF to laser back to the truck. 63 yards, and a head shot. I knew this was a lucky shot, so I took a pic.

[Linked Image]

I also made a point of not shooting at anything with a handgun the rest of the day, so as not to jinx myself.

The fact is that most would not believe me if I did not have a witness and a picture. It does not mean that it is not true though.

The shooting that Keith, McGivern and his kind did was extraordinary during their time period, and still is today, though more and more are giving it a go.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
..Mackay..it wasn't that you were lucky...the Jack having four rabbits feet was just unlucky...for that matter ANY rabbit standing within sight of you is going to be unlucky...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I primarily am a .44 Mag guy, though enjoy playing with the .45 ACP, and to a lesser extent the .45 Colt.

The .45 Colt and .44 Mag being so close performance wise, for long range stuff I just normally stick with one.

Provided that you get a .45 Colt that is properly sized/throated, it really is hard to beat, and equally capable in its flexibility (from mellow plinking loads to elk/dinosauer stompers).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread instilled a strong desire to do some shark shooting.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WildernessWanderer
That's certainly helpful, thanks. My go-to cartridge is 357 and I've been eyeing the 160 or 180 WFN at 1200-ish fps as an all around load for varmints, deer, and just having fun plinking at 100 - 300 yards. There are some who say the meplat is too large for stability at long ranges.

I would set up a large target board, with a reference on the board that you can easily see at long distance, and use to consistently place your front sight on, then give your loads a try.

I have heard the same things about WFNs too, but experience has shown that such things are not absolute.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RJM
"Where the fiber optic works great is shooting quickly, and in failing light, as well as snow. It really seems to gather what remaining light there is and draws your eye to it. I really like them for general purposes, but not for the long range game."....Jack Rabbits don't like them either....

Custom Long Range blade by David Clements...

[Linked Image]

Right: US Firearms Flat Top Target
Left: US Firearms Clements Custom

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Clements .41 Special with matching .22/.22 Magnum

[Linked Image]

OOOF those are NICE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a lot of fun shooting .44Mag out of Ruger Super Blackhawk, 629, and a Old Vaquero. Shooting in the dry dusty environment, as mentioned, will aid in walking bullet strikes on target. Shooting into the setting sun, when done at very long distances, 300-400 yards, may allow you to watch the bullet flight with the v rings.

It is amazing what you can hit at distances of say 100-250 yards or at least come close to when you take the time to practice.

The best thing about shooting these longer distances is that it teaches you all about trigger control. A flinch when shooting at 150 yards will cause a miss of 15-20 yards and the hoots of your buddies. I like to shoot ALL of my handguns for some practice time at the 100-200 yard distance to see how my form is holding up. A Glock 27 at 200 yards can shame you quickly.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 117LBS, 57 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,985
Posts18,480,987
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.