Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wondering how difficult it is to convert a 257 Roberts to an Ackley Improved. I spoke with a gunsmith and he said it was a pain in the azz. The gun is a Kimber 84M classic.
Also what is the procedure?

Last edited by Leonten; 01/20/17.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
To do it right, the barrel needs to be set back one thread before rechambering, in order to provide firm chambering for standard brass.

If the AI reamer is just run into the chamber enough to clean it up, .257 brass won't fire-form correctly unless you seat bullets out firmly into the lands, or neck-up the brass to form a "false shoulder" to hold it firmly against the firing pin's fall. If you try to just fire-form .257 ammo (whether handloads or factory) some probably won't go off, while those that do may stretch so much near the head the brass is ruined.

Then there's the question of whether the AI cases will feed correctly from the magazine. If they don't, there's more work.

Yet another factor is that when loaded to the same pressures, the AI version gets AT MOST an extra 100 fps over the standard .257, which you'll never notice in the field, either in trajectory or killing power.

I know all of this from experience with more than one .257 AI. If you really, truly want more "power" than the standard .257 Roberts can provide, then buy a .25-06 or .257 Weatherby.

Oh, and welcome to the Campfire!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks.

I already have an Ackley improved. So I'm already set up to reload for the AI. I do have a 25/06, but it's real heavy and not a pleasure to carry in the woods.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
it could be a real pain! Mr. Mule Deer is correct but he gave you the readers digest version as to what's involved.
"set the barrel back" involves pulling the barrel, re machining the tenion so it indexes properly again,cutting the new chamber,re-installing the barrel and all this without marking either the barrel or action up in any way so it won't have to be refinished.
now it is back together,the 64 thousand dollar question, will it feed with the new sharper shoulder? to make it right will be more money on top of the previous work.
I know you said that you are already set up to reload the AI configuration but a set of dies will be cheaper and quicker unless you have to have the AI version.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or you could just use Hornady SuperPerformance ammo (if they make it for that caliber) for the increased MV if you don't want to reload.

FYI, in my .30-06, at 300 yards, the 150 gr. SP groups 6 inches higher and 3 inches right of same weight factory Corelokts, so there is something to the claim...

3 shot groups with either hover right around one inch at that range, tho the Corelokts seem to average just slightly larger- maybe up to .25 inch over the SP.

But that was only a sample of 2, 3 shot Corelokt remnant, so it's not a large sample size.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
shooter42,

Just curious, but if you cut off one thread of the barrel, won't that also shorten the barrel shank and thereby change the barrel profile in terms of how well it matches the inletting of the stock?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In my 22" .257 Ruger, the max charge of Hybrid 100V gives me a little over 3200 fps with a 100-grain bullet, which is plenty of zip for me.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes setting the barrel back can leave you with a larger gap in your barrel channel.

Just my 2 cents.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have owned 3 257 Roberts 2 were AI one was done right 1 was not. The advantage to me at least was less case trimming, and the ability to match fast standard speeds without redlining at max pressures.

Accuracy seemed better when it was AI.

All said if you like your rifle in standard and are happy with it leave it alone, std chamber will maintain a higher resale value also.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Shooter42

I just chambered 4 of the improved rounds in the magazine. All of them fit properly. And the bolt picked them up from the magazine.

las

Nobody makes ammo for it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Leonten
Shooter42

I just chambered 4 of the improved rounds in the magazine. All of them fit properly. And the bolt picked them up from the magazine.

las

Nobody makes ammo for it.

The point Las was making is that you could just buy Hornady Superperformance ammo for the 257 Roberts.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Steelhead

Its going to be a 257 Roberts "ACKLEY IMPROVED" and nobody makes amunition for the improved chamber.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Steelhead

Its going to be a 257 Roberts "ACKLEY IMPROVED" and nobody makes amunition for the improved chamber.

I know that dipshett, again the ever loving point was you could shoot some souped up 257 Roberts ammon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
When I was fire forming factory ammo in my other Roberts. The group size was 4 to 6 inches at 100 yards. So while it may shoot factory ammo Accuracy was pitiful.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was fire forming factory ammo in my other Roberts. The group size was 4 to 6 inches at 100 yards. So while it may shoot factory ammo Accuracy was pitiful.

Since you already have a 257AI, I would have assumed that you would know what the process was from your first conversion.

What Mule Deer wrote is, as usual, spot on. I don't know what the TPI specs are for the Kimber barrels, but a barrel set back of one full turn for most common barrels runs in the 1/16" (0.0625") to 1/20" (0.05") range. After being set back, there will be a slightly larger gap between the wood and the barrel that will probably not be obvious to anyone but you and the 'smith who does the work. This is very straight forward work, so I can't imagine that a professional 'smith would take more than a few hours, like less than four, to do the job.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

When I did the first conversion I simply dropped the gun off with the gunsmith. And when it was done I picked it up. The gunsmith never explained the process and I didn't ask.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
leonen,

others have answered some of the issues. move the barrel back to get the proper headspace on the Ackley chamber will leave the barrel stock gap larger but not by much. if the cartridges feed already then you are ahead of the game. you just have to decide to do it if you want the AI version.
for what it is worth I have a ruger #1 I did up in the 257AI just because I wanted to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

When I did the first conversion I simply dropped the gun off with the gunsmith. And when it was done I picked it up. The gunsmith never explained the process and I didn't ask.

Then this conversion should be the same. Drop the rifle off with your preferred 'smith and write a check when you pick it up. If your 'smith thinks that a straight forward job like this is a PITA, maybe he just doesn't want the work.

BTW, I have several rifles with AI chambers, so I'm not anti-AI.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If a re-chambered 257 AI does not have a crush fit on a factory 257 Roberts it was not done right. Should have resistance when you close the bolt.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
A Kimber 84 is a little more difficult to set back than a Remington 700 but does not approach the PITA level. The barrel has a coned breech and extractor slot that have to be dealt with but that just means a little more expensive job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.