Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
There's a Syncrowave 300 in AZ, Crossfireoops...

http://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1773844

Great leaping Floozies !
Let the bidding begin !
.....some of the stuff that turns up down in Tucson just leaves one shaking his head.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't used much tig in a while, so I'll bow to the model this or that suggestions. But, as a custom car builder, once you get to doing some aluminum and stainless you will fall in love with the possibilities.

Don't purchase yourself short.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Haven't used much tig in a while, so I'll bow to the model this or that suggestions. But, as a custom car builder, once you get to doing some aluminum and stainless you will fall in love with the possibilities.

Don't purchase yourself short.

You can lead a horse to water..................

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
lincoln precision tig 225?

Something clever here.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by pal
Very pleased with the Miller Dynasty 200DX. My first tig welder; just learning.

^^ guy buys a Dynasty unit to learn on ^^

Wanna be friends? lol!!

That's freaking outstanding.

Sure, we're friends! smile

I didn't buy the Dynasty to learn on. I bought it for the long haul because I felt it was the best machine for my purposes. And, though I'm 73, and because I'd never tig welded before, I'm learning on it. smile

Found this machine, used, previously remanufactured, on eBay, for $1800. As soon as it arrived I had the local Miller service center do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. For the money, I'm happy.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

That may be a three phase on the input side.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Go with Miller equipment, they have out classed Lincoln

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal
Very pleased with the Miller Dynasty 200DX. My first tig welder; just learning.

^^ guy buys a Dynasty unit to learn on ^^

Wanna be friends? lol!!

That's freaking outstanding.

Sure, we're friends! smile

I didn't buy the Dynasty to learn on. I bought it for the long haul because I felt it was the best machine for my purposes. And, though I'm 73, and because I'd never tig welded before, I'm learning on it. smile

Found this machine, used, previously remanufactured, on eBay, for $1800. As soon as it arrived I had the local Miller service center do a thorough pre-purchase inspection. For the money, I'm happy.

Excellent.

Thanks.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm trying to decide, maxstar series (DC only)

Syncro in 210? (DX option available when you jump to 250)

or dynasty... then where do you stop with dynasty? 210, 210 DX, 210 DX with water cooling?

It's only money right?

crazy

Take a look at this unit.

Lincoln Square Wave 200

AC-DC, GTAW, SMAW, Pulse, High Frequency, Adjustable AC Balance and Frequency, Max 200 Amp. I own one along with another 20 or so welding units all the way up to Powerwaves and XMT's.

Last edited by Mike70560; 01/26/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That is the big brother to my 185. Great TIG. The Lincoln TIGs start softer so you don't blow holes in thin sheet. I spent the whole day at Toll Welding testing all of their TIGs. On sheet metal and tubing nothing compares. You can work much faster.
Whatever you end up getting you should get a gas lens kit for your torch. It makes welding sheet faster and easier. Get a grinder and put a pair of green wheels on it. I have a cup and a straight. Only use it to sharpen your tungsten. I sharpen up 10 or so at a time so I can swap them out fast and not push a tungsten to far and get crappy beads. Get as light a torch and hose as you can get away with.
I have been doing a lot of big wheel baggers. I cut the frame then stretch and rake it, stretch the tank and fab a dash . From the 18 gauge dash and 12 gauge gas tank to the frame my 185 handles it. Doing the frame I do wish it was a 225 though.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by whackem_stackem; 01/26/17.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a miller 351 with foot and finger control and water cooler. I use the finger control 90% of the time. Water cooled torches are the schitt. Small mobile and.....cool.

I had a lincoln high frequency box on my ranger 10lx and it worked well for dc.....but the big miller is a treat.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by okie
You weld quite a few panels as a restorer so you may want a name brand unit but this one has some advanced features and good reviews. You can mount this one on a cart with a bottle for about a grand and find out if tiggin' is where its at for ya.

When I apprenticed with a metal man in the 70's it was hammer and dolly with acetylene...I can still do it but a tungsten torch will do it cleaner and finer than even the best mIG in stitch mode...

Okie, these are like $680 on amazon right now.

That's freaking crazy, hard NOT to buy just out of curiosity sake. lol

Something clever here.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You weld quite a few panels as a restorer so you may want a name brand unit but this one has some advanced features and good reviews. You can mount this one on a cart with a bottle for about a grand and find out if tiggin' is where its at for ya.

When I apprenticed with a metal man in the 70's it was hammer and dolly with acetylene...I can still do it but a tungsten torch will do it cleaner and finer than even the best mIG in stitch mode...

Okie, these are like $680 on amazon right now.

That's freaking crazy, hard NOT to buy just out of curiosity sake. lol

Yep. I think shipping is 30 bucks twould bring her to 710 to your door...or mine...I've been pretty tempted myself.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi guys, I'm hoping the post title snags a few experienced tig guys.

I've reached a point in my classic auto restoring business where I no longer care to MIG my open panel body repairs. I spend a ton of time fitting joints, I currently mig with .023 ez grind solid wire, 75/25 gas, grind, planish etc.

The mig process is my boat anchor, I'll still MIG stuff, but I don't want it for my open panel butt joints on exterior body panels.

So I want a TIG machine. My primary use will be 14 to 20 gauge steel. occasional 1/8-1/4" structural, not much though.

Butt joints with plans to metal finish the weld areas as smooth and true as possible.

What should I be looking for in a machine? HF start important? Pulse?

I've been looking at some miller machines. Maxstar (DC only) and the syncrowave series specifically.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

a lot of guys will poo poo it because they are an offshore, but i think you owe it to yourself to look at AHP Alpha tig 200DX I have the older 200X and it is fantastic. You cannot find a better machine for the money, work every bit as good as the blue machines i weld with in nuke plants

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've got one in the garage, like i said in a previous post, it runs just as good a the blue machines we weld in nukes with, best bang for the buck, hands down

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run the Power and Process unit of an ENR top 10 construction company, and all I can say is the BULLS#!T runs deep here...same/same as pickup trucks where "popular" posters proffer their "experience" based on their and their daddy's 4 or 5 trucks, where we buy 3,200 per year, and I've been told I'm "wrong" in my preference based on the above 3,200 units per year over the 14 years I've been doing this...whatever - different subject...but - Lincoln, Hobart and Miller, in that order and ONLY pro level machines, not consumer grade, make money in my business...FWIW...

We have $millions of welders...look to support from local vendors, gas suppliers, etc in making your choice. That is what we do in the US, Canada, the North Sea, Western Africa, South America, the Pacific Rim..and....etc...

In "my" world, and what I own at the ranch and our vacation homes w/115/120 service, Linocln Invertec and Square Wave machines ROCK!!!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Journeyman
I run the Power and Process unit of an ENR top 10 construction company, and all I can say is the BULLS#!T runs deep here...same/same as pickup trucks where "popular" posters proffer their "experience" based on their and their daddy's 4 or 5 trucks, where we buy 3,200 per year, and I've been told I'm "wrong" in my preference based on the above 3,200 units per year over the 14 years I've been doing this...whatever - different subject...but - Lincoln, Hobart and Miller, in that order and ONLY pro level machines, not consumer grade, make money in my business...FWIW...

We have $millions of welders...look to support from local vendors, gas suppliers, etc in making your choice. That is what we do in the US, Canada, the North Sea, Western Africa, South America, the Pacific Rim..and....etc...

In "my" world, and what I own at the ranch and our vacation homes w/115/120 service, Linocln Invertec and Square Wave machines ROCK!!!

except the duty cycle on the comparative invertec's are so bad they barely publish them, and its almost 200$ more. If you like paying for a name thats great, but he's not asking about industrial pipe welding, he doesn't need a 2000$ machine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman

What pickup do you drive?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It pays to buy the best you can.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.