Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Powdered metal recoil lug ? they do own a facility

MIM parts have 95% of the density of "real" steel. Guess that 5% matters sometimes. I can't imagine that a lug stamped out of ordinary steel would ever do that.

Yeah, it would bend if that is even possible.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

MIM parts have 95% of the density of "real" steel. Guess that 5% matters sometimes. I can't imagine that a lug stamped out of ordinary steel would ever do that.

My experience with MIM (not good) finds it to be brittle. CZ triggers are MIM and I broke one taking the gun out of the stock. New Rem triggers are MIM along with a lot of gun parts these days.

That cracked recoil lug must be MIM. I agree, a piece of stamped steel that thick would bend before it broke, unless it was overly hardened. And I don't think recoil lugs would be hardened enough to be that brittle.

The problem with sending it back, you'll get another MIM part. I don't think it would cost that much to replace that lug with a steel one, check the headspace and move on. At least the replacement won't crack like that. I would think 700 Rem smiths probably have vintage OEM lugs lying around the shop.

IMO.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My experience with MIM (not good) finds it to be brittle. CZ triggers are MIM and I broke one taking the gun out of the stock. New Rem triggers are MIM along with a lot of gun parts these days.

That cracked recoil lug must be MIM. I agree, a piece of stamped steel that thick would bend before it broke, unless it was overly hardened. And I don't think recoil lugs would be hardened enough to be that brittle.

The problem with sending it back, you'll get another MIM part. I don't think it would cost that much to replace that lug with a steel one, check the headspace and move on. At least the replacement won't crack like that. I would think 700 Rem smiths probably have vintage OEM lugs lying around the shop.

IMO.

DF

+1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is no benefit for the consumer in manufacturing anything firearms related using MIM...

I fixed that a little...

But as long as guys keep buying their crap the bean counters at Remington will keep selling it to them. ..guaranteed...

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you're keeping the rifle, get an old solid steel recoil lug and have your smith change it out.

Don't send it back to Remington.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Bolts are not nearly fancy enough material-specification-wise to use sintered steel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I would send it back to Remington on their dime and let them fix it.....It will be fine, My guess is your problem is a very isolated issue as Remington sells tens of thousands of Model 700's every year and I am not aware of recoil lugs ever being an issue.........Good luck........Hb

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No sweat, great selection from OEM replacement (0.187" thick) to super duper precision stuff.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=Remington+700+recoil+lugs&userItemsPerPage=48

Any gunsmith with all his fingers remaining can easily swap one in, even cutting the barrel shoulder back for a thick precision one to fit. But I'd send it back to Remington first, that way they know there's a problem.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Bolts are not nearly fancy enough material-specification-wise to use sintered steel.

WTF are you talking about, is powdered metal not used in the MIM process? Who is talking about a bolt?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I would send it back to Remington on their dime and let them fix it.....It will be fine, My guess is your problem is a very isolated issue as Remington sells tens of thousands of Model 700's every year and I am not aware of recoil lugs ever being an issue.........Good luck........Hb

I've bought 3 new Remington's in the past year - an ADL, an SPS and a long range. Both the ADL and SPS are going back to Remington very shortly. Buddy bought two ADL's a year or so ago, both had issues. Their quality has gotten to be the worst I've seen of any brand.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It would be interesting to know what the hardness is of the cracked recoil lug and whether or not the face of the receiver is square.
The last Remington action I used to build a rifle was way out of square and the face of the action looked like it had been cut off with a chop saw.

Harry
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not all Remington actions are the same, but most need to be trued when barreling. The recoil lugs are steel and not sure if Remington knows their hardness.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigJ
I had a cracked lug on a used LVSF I bought, simple swap out and confirm headspace is still acceptable. It took me under 10min.

And everyone here owns all the tools to do that job??? Not very fu ckig likely.

Drummond, sorry to see this happen buddy. Hopefully Remington can put a better one on when they repair it!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have an email in to Remington now. I'll let y'all know how it goes. Crazy thing is the damn thing shot pretty good but the last shot I took was a layup at a coyote and I miffed it. It's bothered me since it happened last month

I will be interested in their response.

Possibly a bad batch of steel. Remember what happened to Sako with their SS barrels ten years ago.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

There is no benefit in a recoil lug being manufactured using MIM

It is far to simple a part to die stamp. A die is less expensive to build vs a MIM injection mold and in the production scenario there is no secondary operation in the oven that MIM requires

I imagine you're correct there. I was just on an anti-MIM rant. Any idea on how a stamped piece that thick could develop a crack like that?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I checked the hardness on a couple of Remington recoil lugs that were in our junk drawer. They came out @ 36 on the RC scale. That is about what I thought it would be. Really surprises me that one would crack since it is a part that does not need to be hard.

Harry
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Seafire
yeah, and Rem bolt handles don't fall off either...

My father in law is an old DuPont executive so he has always been a Remington man as well as an IMR man.

Over the past 5 years he's had 7 bolt handles fall off while shooting at the bench. All either model Seven or 700s

Last edited by MarkFed; 01/29/17.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In all my years of competitive shooting I have witnessed a lot of things, guns blown up, guns that won't go bang, squib loads etc. etc. I have yet to see a Rem 700 bolt handle come off. How does one person go about breaking off 7 of them?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by bigJ
I had a cracked lug on a used LVSF I bought, simple swap out and confirm headspace is still acceptable. It took me under 10min.

And everyone here owns all the tools to do that job??? Not very fu ckig likely.

Drummond, sorry to see this happen buddy. Hopefully Remington can put a better one on when they repair it!!!!!!!

Easy there killer. I never said everyone would, or should - nor did I defend Remington. The op asked if anyone else had seen a cracked lug, and I said I did and how I fixed it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just found the lug I replaced....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

55 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.