-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr. Clark, you should save money and weight by just using iron sights it sounds like.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
The Leupold 2-7 would be a great choice for hunting in the Appalachians. No offence to Brad or any other fixed 6X proponents, but Rhododendron and laurel hells of the Southern Appalachians are unlike any close cover I have seen out West. The 2X setting really has its place where you are hunting. The Leupy VX-2 is a great little scope.

The same in Wisconsin's Cedar swamps.Thicker than flies on fresh dogchit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A 2-7 checks a lot of boxes for me and so does a VX-2.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Mr. Clark, you should save money and weight by just using iron sights it sounds like.

Or a red dot, they work great on half of a 2 piece weaver mount, can do the scope and mouts for less than 4 or 5 ounces total wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bwinters
I have a 30-06 that needs a new scope.

Anyone using the VX-2 2-7x33? Thoughts?

Any other lightweight options to consider?

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Used the 2-7 quite a bit on this 30-06, not cds but had lrd which I liked.

I too dislike higher magnification on a handy rifle in cover. My cutoff is around 4x. Below, my eyes adapt well for seamless, both eyes open, sight picture. Above, the scope over powers my off eye, screws up field of view when swinging on quick close shot.

If a woods gun, light and tough, 2.5ul. Open gun, 6x36. Split the difference, 4x. Otherwise, something like the 2-7 covers a lot of bases.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or do what I did and listen to our own
Mule Deer J.B.
and got a new SWFA Leupold FX II 3x20 Big Bore and sent
it in to Leupold for a Heavy Duplex
for my Lipseys Ruger 77 RSI 30-06

Molan Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AMRA
Mule Deer J.B.

You can order them direct from the Leupold Custom shop if you are going to swap the reticles and save money on shipping. If you have to pay shipping from SWFA and then to Leupold you only pay shipping from Leupold from their custom shop.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mule Deer J.B.

Could you post a pic of that reticle, through the scope, against something in the distance, to show sight picture? Maybe about 50 or 75 yards, against something we'd have an idea of size. Truck, stop sign, cow, target backer?

Thanks

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a Leupold with the heavy duplex and didn't like it at all. I hunt under a canopy of pines/spruce/hemlock/cedar all the time and the standard duplex has always shown up well enough to shoot well past legal hunting hours. This is in a couple of vx-1 3-9x40's and a vx-2 1-4x20.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I once had a heavy duplex in a 1.75-6 Leupold and didn't like it either. I'd prefer a German #4 type reticle.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Mule Deer J.B.

Could you post a pic of that reticle, through the scope, against something in the distance, to show sight picture? Maybe about 50 or 75 yards, against something we'd have an idea of size. Truck, stop sign, cow, target backer?

Thanks

Next time my Daughter is over I will get her to try and
take one

Molan Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to see the sight picture of the HD in the big bore.

edit to add:

Found the old JB article w/ the HD, put he didn't take a pic of the reticle. Tried a search, only could find one of the guys here, who ordered it w/ target dot. Several had HD, but never posted pic.

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/28/17.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN

I've found that I'm actually faster with a low power scope than with irons. I have to align irons but if my scope is set right,I'm using it just like a red dot with both eyes open,and it's actually faster than aligning two points on irons. I could also have a shot at 20 yards or a shot at 200 on the same day,at the same place.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Everyone sees differently, but Ive got three of them, and three of the 2.5 to 8 and I spent hours early morning and late at night comparing the two models, and any difference is in my opinion very slight. I prefer the 2x7 because its slightly smaller and lighter and to my eyes at least is 99% as good as the VX3. Its also, in Canada, about $200 cheaper, which may have affected my vision.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I put one on a M70 Fwt in .308 this past deer season. It's a great little scope and my second in the 2-7X range. My first was a Bushnell 3200. Both have pros and cons. The biggest con of the Leupold for me is not having a hydrophobic (water repelling) coating like the RainGuard coating. Unlike the Bushnell, the Leupold doesn't suffer from the tube effect. I hunt in the foothills of the Catskills and usually keep it on 2 or 3 X for hunting in the thickets we have and will only crank it up to the 7X for zeroing the scope or shooting to check the zero.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not through a big bore but may help. The distance to the truck is about 140 yards.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/6102889/reticle_pics

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, was wanting to see how it looks in the big bore. For whatever reason, the same reticle is not always consistent between models, or at least I think it looks different.

I dislike a standard duplex on a lower powered LEU, but I did have a HD on a 1-4, that I never disliked. Have had as many #1 and #4 that I have not liked, as I have liked, depending on who did them. Have need for a long tube scope, vs 2.5UL, and was thinking that 3x, w/ maybe the HD would do. Just need to get a feel for the sight picture first.

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Although the 2.5-8 is my fav, the 2-7 is all the scope a guy needs for the kind of hunting I do in the Rockies. I own at least one in every generation of Leup 2-7's.

Tough to argue with the simplicity of a fixed power or the versatility of a variable...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I've found that I'm actually faster with a low power scope than with irons. I have to align irons but if my scope is set right,I'm using it just like a red dot with both eyes open,and it's actually faster than aligning two points on irons. I could also have a shot at 20 yards or a shot at 200 on the same day,at the same place.

Exactly. With a varible like the 2-7 on low power it is easy to leave both eyes open and "see" in front of a fleeing critter looking for an opening--I've killed a number of elk in the spruce/fir elk jungles that way. Anything beyond 3x, and it becomes more difficult.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I mounted one on a Model 722 in .308 that had the barrel trimmed down to 21 inches, after having a heavy duplex reticle installed by Leupold. My shots are all in the 100-yards-or-less category in the swamps and forest clearings of south Georgia. The HD works great in this type of terrain. The scope fits the rifle well, and works great for my type of hunting. I' m completely satisfied with it. YMMV.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 204guy, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.