Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
CKW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a G2 Spike Camp and like it very much. Now when I go to the Kifaru site there is a completely different line of packs. Did Patrick Smith sell Kifaru?

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Changing with the times and what the public is looking for. There was a message sent to Kifaru owners a while back. Still tough as nails, made in the USA and worth every penny.

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hadn't heard that but if you call them up and ask them, they'll tell you. For a long time their line of packs was relatively unchanged, but in the last few years they've come out with a lot of new designs, it could just be a continuation of that trend.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, lots of new stuff... wuality is stilll good, if you hunt their site often you can find the old stuff at a pretty good discount.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Patrick has semi-retired. His daughters still own the business, but the design and marketing reins have been handed over to Patrick's hand-picked successor, Aron Snyder.

Patrick has a long blog post on the Kifaru forum titled "Road Trip" where he talks about Kifaru in the context of the road trip he's taking at the time and the details are buried in that post.

Raod Trip

INTERLUDE THREE: KIFARU’S FUTURE

I established Kifaru International in 1997 with the intention of its being an ongoing multi-generational family company. My girls, a grandchild and two sons-in-law work there. They have signed on to the multi-generational Plan and fully intend to carry it forward. I am now a very fit 72 year old. But, the actuary experts say that I’m more and more vulnerable to being felled by non-cardiovascular health issues. Or, by the dangers of wandering the wilderness alone, which I’ve dodged so far in a very long career of being Out There.
None of my beloved girls, or sons-in-law, have turned out to possess the craziness to be hard-core backpackers/backpack hunters/solitary ramblers like the Old Man. Nor do they have whatever gene it is that turned the Old Man into a Designer of the gear he uses to do what he loves out-of-doors. I won’t live forever, and something may get me yet. So. What would my beloved company do without its spear-tip of field authenticity and pivotal designs? I’ve worried about that Succession problem for years.

About four years ago a young fellow by the name of Aron Snyder contacted me about testing Kifaru packs. He was a very popular tester of backpack hunting gear, posting his test findings of company’s products across the Net. His pack testing was refreshingly hard-core. Far from being a backyard or day-trip tester the man beat hell out of his test subjects, carrying very, very heavy loads over very long distances in bad-ass terrain. He was the real-deal, and scrupulously honest in his Reports. He flat-out broke most tested packs. He told me that Kifaru loyalists on the various message boards challenged him to test Kifaru packs. Hence the contact with me. My kind of guy as a tester, and so I handed him some Kifaru sample packs and he headed out. He returned a Kifaru convert! Of all the packs he had wrung out Kifaru was THE ONE that stood above all. (We agreed on that, to be non-bragging honest.)

And so began a relationship that bloomed, with Aron eventually joining the company. I had searched for years for a truly hard-core, field designer/marketer replacement to myself for the company. Someone who conceived gear afield and tested relentlessly till perfection before turning it over to all-important Kifaru Users. Aron does all that, and certainly knows intimately the workings of world-class gear. He gets it. So. World class designer/user/very well-known bowhunter, AND marketer; Aron wholeheartedly subscribes to his own versions of the “Dirt Clinics” method of promotion and feedback I pioneered with Mountainsmith. His Kifaru Mountain Warrior Training Camp, backpacking trips with Users, and the HUB program (teaming with non-competing industry-leader firms) testify to his marketing prowess. He is also thoroughly up to date with all aspects of Social Media as the newest method for getting the word out about our gear. He is a very capable manager too, and is functioning as our COO along with a consortium of the Kids that function as a Council that works quite well. I am very proud of Aron. He is the son I never had, sharing my outdoor passions and fully capable of replacing me in this career I love so much. He is a stake holder in the company. He is Family.

Sarah and I have a Financial Advisor. Most successful business owners need one nowadays, what with the complexities of operating in a massive and complicated Government environment. We have had many Succession discussions with Andy, our Advisor. He counsels that the single biggest mistake passionate business founders make is holding on too tightly and for too long. I have come to realize that I do the Family Kifaru a disservice by not allowing them to get used to running the show. So I have semi-retired myself. There’s bittersweetness in that. But there is genuine sweetness in being even more foot-loose. I always devoted a great deal of nights afield, but now those outings can be much longer because I don’t have to get back to the Shop and deal with administrivia. This Road Trip is an example; expect more of the same.

In conclusion, the company is in fine shape. Design-wise, we have Aron as well as our very fine professional designer Eric Bender, and myself. Yes, I’m still involved. We three are behind the continuing updating of my original suspension systems…the very things that brought Aron to us in the first place. A great many folks hold them as the world’s Gold Standard. Aron and Eric are bringing world-class new and /or revised bags along at a good clip. And I will continue investigating seminal new stuff…which I can’t talk about, sorry. Kifaru customers win and so do we. We have an amazingly talented sewing, assembly and customer service staff. These folks are dedicated Kifaru-ites as well; we have an extremely low staff turnover. I am very proud of our team, and would match them against any staff group on earth. We are well managed. We husband our resources and can move very quickly. The Ultimate Big Hairy Decisions are still mine.

All of which makes me a happy aging mountain man. I’ve had a long and extremely gratifying career earning our living doing what I’d do without pay. I have a very tight and loving family and fifty two years of marriage to my high school sweetheart. God has been very, very good to me. I’m sometimes reminded of the famous refrain from the Grateful Dead’s song, Truckin’: “What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been”. But a GOOD one when it’s all said and done. And it is by no means finished.

IC B2

C
CKW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That post from Patrick answers my question. Thanks for providing it.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never been a fan basically a glorified duffle bag on a really nice frame. When I hunt I constantly want access to different gear during the day. I don't wanna dig in the main compartment. Those packs have never been good with pockets. On a given day I am adding and removing clothes then adding again. Grabbing snacks and lunch, putting more clothes on at the end then wanting my head lamp among other things. A duffle bag style pack sucks

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Never been a fan basically a glorified duffle bag on a really nice frame. When I hunt I constantly want access to different gear during the day. I don't wanna dig in the main compartment. Those packs have never been good with pockets. On a given day I am adding and removing clothes then adding again. Grabbing snacks and lunch, putting more clothes on at the end then wanting my head lamp among other things. A duffle bag style pack sucks

Five years ago that may have been true, but not any more.

You shouldn't slam a company like that when you haven't bothered to keep current with their products.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You can pretty much put pouches or pockets anywhere on these packs , not sure where you came up with the duffel bag idea..........

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I literally disagree with 99% of the posts Ive run across by you on 24HC...

Its a weird phenomenon...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kifaru is in very good hands. We've used and loved their packs for years and the latest models are very well thought out.

Made right here in the USA, I am willing to pay a premium for that and their warranty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Spoken like somebody that had never used one.

Good news is, when Savage 99 is gone we still have you!

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You're an idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I could go count the pockets/compartments on my T2, I'd need to use fingers on both of my hands.....

If i recall the Longhunter was more of a "duffel". Lots of options since that model.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
You can pretty much put pouches or pockets anywhere on these packs , not sure where you came up with the duffel bag idea..........

why not buy a pack that already has them instead of having to buy more add on pockets. It does look to me like the packs are better with storage than the stuff from a couple years ago. Frankly I could not stand the duffle type concept of their packs. people raved about packs like the long hunter. I had to wonder did anyone actually ever use it? I would hate a pack like that. I don't want to dig everything out to get a headlamp or a freaking piece of jerky out of the thing. better organized packs I probably don't even unpack the pack all the way when I setup camp. With the duffle concept everything must come out and everything must be packed up when its time to go in the morning.

you guys can call me whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me what doesn't. I actually use my gear. I hunt and hike in the west on public lands. I have no brand loyalty which people seem to get all butt hurt when someone tells them why they may have bought the wrong thing.

below is the size of pack that would interest most. a 3400 and 4000 size. I have to ask how in the hell is this different from a duffle bag? there isn't one pocket on the pack. its all fishing stuff out of a duffle bag. most the rest of their packs are similar. its a glorifed army ruck sack [Linked Image]

might as well just carry this for a pack [Linked Image]

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 02/25/17.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
starsky pegged it...

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

why not buy a pack that already has them instead of having to buy more add on pockets. It does look to me like the packs are better with storage than the stuff from a couple years ago. Frankly I could not stand the duffle type concept of their packs. people raved about packs like the long hunter. I had to wonder did anyone actually ever use it? I would hate a pack like that. I don't want to dig everything out to get a headlamp or a freaking piece of jerky out of the thing. better organized packs I probably don't even unpack the pack all the way when I setup camp. With the duffle concept everything must come out and everything must be packed up when its time to go in the morning.

you guys can call me whatever the hell you want. I know what works for me what doesn't. I actually use my gear. I hunt and hike in the west on public lands. I have no brand loyalty which people seem to get all butt hurt when someone tells them why they may have bought the wrong thing.

below is the size of pack that would interest most. a 3400 and 4000 size. I have to ask how in the hell is this different from a duffle bag? there isn't one pocket on the pack. its all fishing stuff out of a duffle bag. most the rest of their packs are similar. its a glorifed army ruck sack [Linked Image]

You can't lump all their packs into your duffel bag concept, and your not the only person here who actually hunts and uses your gear, the reason Kifaru offers options is to let the user set up the pack to his liking...what a concept!

Post some pics of your amazing gear...............

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're a rare kind of stupid.

You hunt and hike on western public lands? The rest of us only live here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn that must be badass to hunt and hike on public western lands!! Color me jealous.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many animals have you hauled out of the boonies in a Kifaru pack in the past few years?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
You're a rare kind of stupid.

You hunt and hike on western public lands? The rest of us only live here.

so do I dumb [bleep], utah. notice how the response is to impune me, rather than say umm YES that is a glorified duffle bag with a really fancy pack frame attached to it. When you lose the argument, lets just impune people and call them names. rather than respond to the substance of the charge. OR my point about digging stuff out during a days hunt. according to some of you none of that matters. just unload the pack to get to a granola bar or a piece of jerky. I am not going to show pics of my pack its in the shed its cold and snowy and I am not going outside.

my most used pack is a badlands sacrifice. probably not the best built pack out there but its light weight and if it ever breaks badlands is only 20 minutes from my house. Its hauled out way more elk than the pack is rated for and still held up just fine, on several different hunts. deer on other hunts. it also has hauled in big salt licks which are hard on a pack too. only problem was the frame squeeked. so they added tape to the edges for me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
What pack are you using cumminscowboy?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
notice how the response is to impune me, rather than say umm YES that is a glorified duffle bag with a really fancy pack frame attached to it.

I already told you that you don't know what you're talking about you stupid SOB. You don't have a clue about Kifaru packs. They've had all manner of packs with multiple pockets for a few years now, try to keep up:

You shouldn't slam a company like that when you haven't bothered to keep current with their products.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How many animals have you hauled out of the boonies in a Kifaru pack in the past few years?

Me, or cowboycum?

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You. Cowboy is zero, that's obvious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I already told you that you don't know what you're talking about you stupid SOB.

[quote=smokepole]

]

sorry your having a bad day. are you really that mean to people in real life calling them names etc? instead what you could have done is described your setup and perhaps "taught" me something. instead its name calling, which I don't think adds to the conversation. man its just the internet why get all worked up. good thing pot is legal in colorado you need some to calm down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You. Cowboy is zero, that's obvious.

Since I started running Kifaru packs I think I've carried around 20 animals in them.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
sorry your having a bad day. are you really that mean to people in real life calling them names etc? instead what you could havedone is described your setup and perhaps "taught" me something. instead its name calling, which I don't think adds to the conversation. man its just the internet why get all worked up. good thing pot is legal in colorado you need some to calm down.

I tried teaching you something with my first post, but that didn't work. Here it is again, why don't you try reading it this time:

I have no interest in "educating" someone who won't take the few seconds it takes on the internet (they do have a website) to educate himself.

Not having a bad day either, I just hate to see uninformed internet experts badmouth a company they have no knowledge of. As far as pictures, here's one, see if you can count the pockets on this pack.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

8 or 9 separate areas IFIRC?

My hero shot... and so far I'm the best looking on this thread.....

Tanner, get busy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
... and so far I'm the best looking on this thread.....

You got me there, but that wasn't a hero shot. This is a hero shot. Tanner knows this spot, it was a brisk walk back to the take-out. We were out for 12 days and I used the old-school Longhunter guide, the "duffel bag-on-a-packframe," call me crazy but it did everything I needed:

[Linked Image]

Precious cargo in that pack:
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I subscribe to the thought of buy quality gear and use it. My go-to pack for going deep and steep for extended hunts is still my Longhunter Rendezvous. 7000+ ci, and it collapses well. Sheep, goat, elk, moose, deer, and few lopes have been persuaded to take a ride in it.

It's been used an abused and it still has a lot of life. It handles heavy better than my creaky knees do.

Can't go wrong with quality...Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, and I'm sure there are others.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Nice, memories for a lifetime.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Kifaru is top shelf, IMO. I had a longhunter for years, but then changed to the Mountain Warrior bag on the same frame. I really like the Mountain Warrior.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice, memories for a lifetime.

Thanks, and I'm still jealous of guys like Tanner and cwh who do it every year, wish I'd gotten into it a lot earlier. But there's always this:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Touche' Hero shot!

Where's the weekend warrior Tanner? That dude should have a worthy album by now....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice ram!! And I see it has the proper place in the middle of the mantel....

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Some people crack me up. I've been out of the real action for probably more than 10 years so you won't hear me talkin crap about anything current day. Back in the day, somewhere around Tanner's age or so it was a Camp Trails Freighter and Moose Bag with many trips and a variety of loads and critters. Technology has come so far since then!

[Linked Image]

Now that I've gotten my back screwed back together, I've a target to be in packing shape by ~Sept, Ovt, Nov. Somewhere around summer I plan to get a new pack and unless I can't get a Kifaru to fit, that's what I'll be running this fall. Maybe not at full speed or full capacity, but I plan on being out there.

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/26/17.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Touche' Hero shot!

Where's the weekend warrior Tanner? That dude should have a worthy album by now....

That is one wide, flaring sumbitch! Congrats. What range did it come out of?

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Alaska Range.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Alaska Range.

Thanks Kenneth. Seems each range, to a degree has their own characteristics so I am always curious when I see a Dall.

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Between me and my 2 hunting partners I Know we have hauled out over 50 deer with our Nimrod packs definitely not the most comfortable pack with a whole deer in it, and the reason I picked Kifaru for future pack outs!
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Some people crack me up. I've been out of the real action for probably more than 10 years so you won't hear me talkin crap about anything current day. Back in the day, somewhere around Tanner's age or so it was a Camp Trails Freighter and Moose Bag with many trips and a variety of loads and critters. Technology has come so far since then!

[Linked Image]

Now that I've gotten my back screwed back together, I've a target to be in packing shape by ~Sept, Ovt, Nov. Somewhere around summer I plan to get a new pack and unless I can't get a Kifaru to fit, that's what I'll be running this fall. Maybe not at full speed or full capacity, but I plan on being out there.

Know how you were feeling...[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
sorry your having a bad day. are you really that mean to people in real life calling them names etc? instead what you could havedone is described your setup and perhaps "taught" me something. instead its name calling, which I don't think adds to the conversation. man its just the internet why get all worked up. good thing pot is legal in colorado you need some to calm down.

I tried teaching you something with my first post, but that didn't work. Here it is again, why don't you try reading it this time:

I have no interest in "educating" someone who won't take the few seconds it takes on the internet (they do have a website) to educate himself.

Not having a bad day either, I just hate to see uninformed internet experts badmouth a company they have no knowledge of. As far as pictures, here's one, see if you can count the pockets on this pack.

[Linked Image]

Smoke... which pack you using?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

from what I'm gathering.... the wrong one.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Just making sure he didn't get one of those glorified duffels............

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

I think CC is just someone that try's to be contrarian. Literally no one that actually backpack hunts or shoots that I know thinks like him. If I walked into work and asked a group of guys that spend a considerable amount of time hunting animals (or humans) with a pack on, no one would give an answer like his. Similarly , if I asked the same people that spend a considerable time shooting animals (or humans), no one would give an answer like he does on scopes/rifles.

So he either is just trying to be contrarian, truly is the biggest oddity, or he's retarded....

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Having said that, I do find that a lot of bags that Kifaru makes do not really interest me due to pocket layout, etc., but some do and they are very good packs.

I hunted with a DT1 and AMR this year in ID, MT, NM for around 120-130 miles off trail and both worked well (though there were designs on both I wish were different).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of their smaller bags (22 Mag) that I use for hiking/shooting/short hunts, it's only got 5 external pockets how it's setup now though so probably not enough. Cummins must carry way more snacks and trinkets than me.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

I think CC is just someone that try's to be contrarian. Literally no one that actually backpack hunts or shoots that I know thinks like him. If I walked into work and asked a group of guys that spend a considerable amount of time hunting animals (or humans) with a pack on, no one would give an answer like his. Similarly , if I asked the same people that spend a considerable time shooting animals (or humans), no one would give an answer like he does on scopes/rifles.

So he either is just trying to be contrarian, truly is the biggest oddity, or he's retarded....

All of the above is true in whichever forum cumminscowboy decides to bless us with his brilliance – the west's version of savage99. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll keep kifaru for the rest of my hunting career and then hand them down to somebody that will use them for their career too!

The flexibilty of use, and the unmatched durability are simply priceless to a guy that does this for a living! One think I do reccomend is zipper lube. They are heavy duty and take a while to break in. Much like a Filson tin cloth coat!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Tanner
This is one of their smaller bags (22 Mag) that I use for hiking/shooting/short hunts, it's only got 5 external pockets how it's setup now though so probably not enough. Cummins must carry way more snacks and trinkets than me.

[Linked Image]

Tanner

What size frame you using?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Interesting comments. Everyone has is entitled to their own opinion. For me, the "duffel bag on a frame has worked very well. But I might not have as much experience as some when it come to packing animals.
I do know since I have been using said system, with Kifaru Long Hunters, Granite Gear Flatbed, Seek Outside Evolution Hauler, ULA Epic (modified) I have packed 15 or more elk, (3 in four days, one year) 5 or maybe it's 6 sheep. A couple mulie bucks, all on public land.
I don't care for a lot of pockets. Finding your shi* in your pack is called organization and experience.

FYI, it works for me.

A few links to photos.

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/ru...ox_zps948eb3a5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=121

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/ElkHuntingPackingOut-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=278

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/P1010145.jpg.html?sort=3&o=340

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/SheepSteaks_zps4bd42709.jpg.html?sort=3&o=342

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/LongHunter.jpg.html?sort=3&o=395

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/ru...er_zpsodwlbhen.jpg.html?sort=3&o=458

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/TipiandStove.jpg.html?sort=3&o=431

Ed T

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Interesting comments. Everyone has is entitled to their own opinion. For me, the "duffel bag on a frame has worked very well. But I might not have as much experience as some when it come to packing animals.
I do know since I have been using said system, with Kifaru Long Hunters, Granite Gear Flatbed, Seek Outside Evolution Hauler, ULA Epic (modified) I have packed 15 or more elk, (3 in four days, one year) 5 or maybe it's 6 sheep. A couple mulie bucks, all on public land.
I don't care for a lot of pockets. Finding your shi* in your pack is called organization and experience.

FYI, it works for me.

A few links to photos.

http://s597.photobucket.com/user/runsmtns/media/LongHunter.jpg.html?sort=3&o=395

Is that a dry bag you're dragging with the haul straps? What is the black material wrapped around it in the last two photos?

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I agree with you cc if you are talking about a Kifaru from years ago. I couldn't stand spending that type of money for a duffle bag with a frame. Now days though you are wrong about Kifaru. They do have some bags without pockets, but they also have bags like the T1 which has a decent layout especially if you get a guide lid to go with it. Also Kifaru are probably the most modular packs around with lots of different size and shape pockets to add to your bag to make it how you like it. They are truly hard to beat in the modular department.

Regards, Branden

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, thanks ed, I was thinking the same. Since I've started using a chest pack for stuff I need immediate access to without taking off the pack, the rest of it goes either in the lid on the Longhunter or stuffed in the top of the main compartment if it's bulky.

If you can't put the stuff you need to get to in those places, you're just too needy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The one in the photo is a Duplex Timberline with a few things done to lighten it up. Aron did kind of a one-off for me. That's another thing I like about them, they'll work with you to get you what you want within reason.

But my favorite is still the G2 Longhunter Guide. It's a load-hauling sumbitch.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's another thing I like about them, they'll work with you to get you what you want within reason.

Kifaru will not do any modification what so ever to their packs anymore. I was recently told that they wouldn't even sell me a yard of matching strap so that I could sew a row of pals on the side bottom of my Tahr to hold a gun bearer. I was told to buy a compression strap kit and cut the straps off. Got to say, this was insulting and got my blood pressure up. Made a call back for them to reconsider and they gave in and sold me the raw strap, for a premium. I have dealt with their competitors and I'm pretty sure all would have shipped me the strap free of charge with no questions asked.

Bottom line, if you can't click on it on their website, the answer is NO.

Apparently with Aron running the show there have been some changes. I assume they quit the custom work for good reason. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere inbetween pack modifications and customer service.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Finding your shi* in your pack is called organization and experience.

I understand the sentiment, but I've found that really doesn't work as well for me. I simply don't get the time in the woods using the pack to where the location of everything becomes second nature when its nearly all in a main compartment. With my latest pack, I find myself hunting for things. I don't need a lot of pockets, but a few is preferable. My current pack is a Seek Outside pack with a two pocket Talon and I think two additional small pockets would be preferable. Not a big deal as is but I am looking for ways to keep a few items handy. They now have new talons and a lid with different pocket arrangements that I'll look into.

Edit: and the only thing on my chest is binos and a small cow call.

Last edited by prm; 02/26/17.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

LOL, thanks ed, I was thinking the same. Since I've started using a chest pack for stuff I need immediate access to without taking off the pack, the rest of it goes either in the lid on the Longhunter or stuffed in the top of the main compartment if it's bulky.

If you can't put the stuff you need to get to in those places, you're just too needy.

That's almost as stupid of a post as CC. The guy that uses the long hunter without a chest pack probably thinks your to needy since you need one. Please don't generalize. Everyone packs different things. Heck I never carry a pistol, but I'm not going to say that the person who does is a scared little wussy because he thinks he might need it.

I do see that we have a lot of 7'6" keyboard warriors here.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tuff

That's almost as stupid of a post as CC. The guy that uses the long hunter without a chest pack probably thinks your to needy since you need one. Please don't generalize. Everyone packs different things. Heck I never carry a pistol, but I'm not going to say that the person who does is a scared little wussy because he thinks he might need it.

I do see that we have a lot of 7'6" keyboard warriors here.

LOL. The difference in my post and cc's was, I wasn't slamming a company for not putting pockets on their packs, when they do in fact put pockets on their packs.

And if he'd said "I don't like their packs because I prefer more pockets," and stopped there that would've just been him stating a personal preference and you wouldn't have heard a peep out of me.

But that's not what he said, he denigrated a good product because it doesn't conform to his personal preferences, said it was a "glorified duffel bag" and "sucks." Which makes it fair game to comment on his personal preferences.

I don't care how, or what you or cumminscowboy pack. The lid on the longhunter is huge. More than enough to hold all the stuff anyone I know wants quick access to, with or without a chest pack, which is how I used it for many years.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Apparently with Aron running the show there have been some changes. I assume they quit the custom work for good reason. But there has to be a happy medium somewhere in between pack modifications and customer service.

That was totally opposite of my experience. In fact, Aron was the one who suggested the modifications. He also offered to loan me one of their new sleeping bags but I ended up buying one.

I got my pack two years ago, and I was fortunate enough to be able to walk into their shop and sit down with Aron. That may have helped.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The policy took effect in 2012. I understand now it is being strictly enforced. Call them up and they will be quick to confirm it. I've tried to convince them twice in the last six months, with simple mods, but they would not even consider it.

Here's the first report I saw of it. A post from 2012.

Effective immediately-

We will not be accepting ANY custom order of ANY kind; to include, but not limited to: deleting or adding items; changing colors of web or buckles; customer sending in own fabric and/or web, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
All I can say is, I got my pack in 2014 or 15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All I can say is that last week I was denied. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good, then it's settled.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by prm
Finding your shi* in your pack is called organization and experience.

I understand the sentiment, but I've found that really doesn't work as well for me. I simply don't get the time in the woods using the pack to where the location of everything becomes second nature when its nearly all in a main compartment. With my latest pack, I find myself hunting for things. I don't need a lot of pockets, but a few is preferable. My current pack is a Seek Outside pack with a two pocket Talon and I think two additional small pockets would be preferable. Not a big deal as is but I am looking for ways to keep a few items handy. They now have new talons and a lid with different pocket arrangements that I'll look into.

Edit: and the only thing on my chest is binos and a small cow call.

prm ..add a couple hipbelt pouches for small gear, or go to a day talon which has a lid integrated and is really a 5 pocket layout.

Myself, I'm with Ed. Too many pockets and I need a map to tell me where stuff is. I can make sense of 7 pockets like this
- Main Bag
- Bottle Pockets / Utility (2)
- Valuable pocket (Keys etc)
- Wet Pocket / Stuff it
- Optic Pocket
- Knives /Delorme etc ..

Beyond that, I get more and more confused.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kevin, Thanks. I don't think I want much more than what you've listed. I do like a valuables pocket for wallet, keys, and license, and doesn't get used (or even opened) for anything else. I'm really referring to hunting during the day after unloading the bulk of camp.

I did just order a day talon. That will add a valuables pocket. I waffled on getting a hipbelt pouch as I was afraid I would be bumping into it with my arms. I may try one and see how I like it. It would be convenient as long as its not in the way when crawling over what seem like thousands of downfalls. Maybe good for a rangefinder or snacks.

Edit: added hip belt pouch to order.

Last edited by prm; 02/27/17.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I used a long hunter for years and a spike camp or express for a day or over-nite pack. I have to say that the lack of pockets on the LH was at times a bit annoying and I even spoke with Patrick about it. The add on pockets were a sort of after thought and kinda loosey goosey things. Nevertheless the suspension and the quality and usability was excellent. Eventually sold it here and have a Timberline complete with side pockets (spotting scope and tripod), two front pockets for everything else, and a security pocket inside. Hog heaven cool

Lefty C

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
would add that I bought the timberline directly from Kifaru and Aron set it up. We both agreed that the snow collar was ridiculously long and some of the straps were likewise bordering ridicules. Had everything trimmed up while I waited and fitted the pack to me as well.

LC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Oh so very true. Funny for all the "experience" he touts, he never has a good pic or story of a hunt to share...

I've used my duffle bag on a frame quite well for over a decade now. Things I need to get to, very often, go into the lid or the very bottom of the pack to access via the zipper there. Have yet to have a "yard sale" to find what I'm looking for.

Here's 1/2 of my first mule deer riding with rest of my day gear back to camp. I did not lose anything or miss any pockets...
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (160user, 007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,838 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.