-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotta use a credit card for Numrichs so they know where your from as soon as they punch it in and they only ship to the cards address.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I know a guy who can help with that grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats why I got buddies like you and Gene, never need Numrichs.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finally pulled out the Model 4's. From top down -
- early Model 4 with the early style bolt
- 4C with special sight set - catalog designation would be 4S
- 4C
- Stevens/Springfield 84C target version for one of the large chain stores, machined for a peep sight but came with the hole plugged, it should have sling swivels but had the wrong ones when I got it and they made extra holes to mount them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The early Model 4 bolt will fit in a 4C but the sear will not engage, the later bolt has a much stronger spring for a faster lock time and needs a separate sear bar instead of having it on the trigger.

[Linked Image]

Here is the safety accomplished by turning the cocking knob -
[Linked Image]

I bought a Marble's S7S sight that just came in the mail today!!! That's the code for the Models 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7. It appears to be counter stamped over W7S, which would have been the code for an 1873 Winchester...???? I was thinking it must have just been stamped wrong and they corrected it, but then noticed the sight is also stamped M.S.A which I think would date it to 1911 or earlier, that's quite a few years before any of the Savage Models were introduced. Could Marble's have had a bunch of sights they weren't selling and then tried to re-purpose them? - similar to what they did with the S20's for the 1920? Looks like it would work, if you wanted to put holes in the wood, this couldn't have been much more popular than it was for use on an 1873 Winchester, if that was the original intent -

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't tell from your pics Gene, is the peep sight hole just supplied with a filler screw or is it permanently plugged?

Ya I'd say they sold off some sights and redesignated them, does it look like anything else was replaced? Diffent blue on the staff than the base?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Joe, The Springfield 84C has a plug screw where the peep sight goes, it's all set-up for the sight, even has the relief milled in the rear of the receiver for bolt removal with it on.

The S7S sight does not show signs of use but does show differences in the aging on the parts, first pictures is without flash, second set with - which usually brings out any brown tint and third another possible use -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gene
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You need to buy yourself one of those Savage Snail Traps, you could have a whole lotta fun in your basement!

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
S
svg250 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Had time today to take out new to me model 4 and put 5 rounds in a pop can at 20 steps standing without a rest, I imagine will be even more accurate off a bench. Gun didn't have the peep sight so I will be looking for one, other than that bore is clean and the wood and checkering is nice for its age. Its my first old savage 22 and am sure it will put a dent in the squirrel and rabbit population.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Great stuff, could someone tell me which style sight I need for mine? I can guess from the pictures, but is there a model number of keyword that would help me in my search?

The gun is the WesternField version

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT; 02/14/17.
J
J
Hello, new to the forum. Lots of knowledge being shared on here, love it! I just picked up a Savage model 4 with the early bolt. It was missing the magazine, but I only put out $100.00 for the rifle (shipping and FFL included) so $30.00 for a 10 round mag was no big deal. I am having a problem though. When trying to cycle the bolt, it catches after only moving back about 1/4-1/2 inch and holds up there. If I slightly pull on the trigger, it will move back far enough to extract a snap cap, then push forward to chamber the next snap cap. This happens every time. Naturally, like with any bolt action, if I fully pull the trigger I can remove the bolt completely for cleaning. Is this normal? Has anyone else ever had this issue?

I removed the bolt and trigger, cleaned up the bolt with brake cleaner, soaked the trigger assembly in acetone and got the many years of built up gunk off of everything. Broke out the cleaning kit cleaned her up from stock to muzzle (bore is in good shape!), reassembled, and same problem with cycling the bolt still exists.

Numrich has no schematic for the model 4, only the 4C, so really not much help as far a checking if something is missing. Sooo... I went on their forum page and stated my issue, and I was told that an adjustable trigger from a 4C would work.....well.....not really. I found said 4C trigger complete on eBay, installed it, and on the first attempt to work the bolt, it just slid the whole way out the back. Didn't even catch anywhere on the way out. I had my doubts while installing it, but I was under the impression the MAYBE the trigger spring was going to catch the bolt somewhere along the line. Nope, not a chance. Then I noticed the there was a small number 5 stamped into the bolt. There are what look like directional arrows on the different sections of the bolt assembly, I assume to make sure you would put it back together correctly? Do I have the correct bolt? If anyone would be able to post a pic of their model 4 bolt, it would be greatly appreciated, because I want back on the Numrich site and the only pic they have of a complete bolt looks NOTHING like mine.

Sorry for such a long post, any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Savage had the Model 1904 single shot, later just called the Model 04, and later they had the Model 4 repeater, Numrich has listings for both the 04 and the 4 but have parts from both mixed up in both listings, the bolt your seeing in the Model 4 listing is the Model 1904/04 bolt.

The model 4 had the trigger & sear as one piece, the 4C had a sear bar separate from the trigger. There seems to never have been a 4A or 4B, when they upgraded both the Model 3 & 4 to a new bolt design the Model 3 was already at 3B and they seem to have just jumped the 4 right to 4C.

I would check the trigger stop, it might be allowing the trigger to move forward enough to catch the on the rear of the slot that the front of the sear is supposed to slide over until it hit the actually stop. If you do anything with this Make sure the sear engagement isn't reduced - is the trigger farther back with the gun cocked?

The sights are covered earlier in this thread, it looks like the pictures now display clear but with a water mark through the middle.

I had a house brand version of the model 4 handy and a model 3 bolt, that's what the pictures are of, the Model 3 bolt fits in the Model 4 but ends up a couple inches short of the chamber.

Attached Images
Savage 3 & 4 early sear 001x.JPG (38.87 KB, 72 downloads)
Savage 3 & 4 early sear 003x.JPG (34.54 KB, 74 downloads)
Savage 3 & 4 early sear 004x.JPG (32.77 KB, 73 downloads)
Last edited by GeneB; 05/06/20. Reason: added pictures

Gene
J
J
Thanks for the quick response, Gene. It's apart right now, so I cant say if the trigger is farther back. The trigger stop shows some wear, and there is also wear in the area where the trigger stop is supposed to rest (in the notch on the first pic). There is still some buildup on the trigger, so it's soaking in some acetone again, so I can get that cleaned up a little better. I also was able to find another trigger on eBay. The catch looks a bit more defined on that one, we shall see. Thanks for all the info. Fingers crossed!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.