Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem with bobcats, is that there are LOTS of them and they are everywhere. If there is a more secretive and undetected animal out there, I don't know what it is.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on Leonten!

As for the guys talking schidt, I'll repeat my mantra for a bit.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Ignorant fuggers! OOPS

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wild dogs are very destructive and I don't hesitate to shoot everyone I can. They usually run in groups of two to five.

Our calves are generally 50 to 70 pounds. Prefer to have them closer to 50. Our smallest pasture is 800 acres and we use that for heifers. We calve on about 15 sections so aren't always around when calves are dropped.

Coyotes are generally 40 to 60 pounds full grown. Bobcats are usually about 30 pounds. The one I shot was larger than normal. Probably at least 40 pounds.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Ranger99
good deal.
5 fawn and calf killers gone.
now maybe you can take out a
coyote a day

LOL< I've yet to loose a fawn to a cat... we harvest a few now and then if there get to be to many... and the hides are saleable. Damn sure never would loose a flipping calf to a cat... just ain't gonna happen here... 100 pound calf and mean momma won't let a 30 pound max cat win....

Coyotes too, I can't tell for certain after last years major flooding events if i lost a few fawns to water or yotes but before that, we had not lost a fawn to a yote in a LONG time that I can recall.

Other areas YMMV.

Love to watch both cats and yotes hunt. They are fun to watch.

Shooting animals for a reason is not a bad thing though. Shooting em to shoot em is. IMHO.

One day I'll learn to keep my mouth shut... grin

But here goes... whistle

These bobcats are fruits of liberal game management in California. Or, non-management, I should say.

Populations get out of control and animals in suburban areas get conditioned to humans. That is obviously what these cats are.

Someone noticed cats in the neighborhood and went and got tags and cam home and shot them.

They were not called in a hunting stand scenario. They were shot in the back yard as they were seen numerous times. A female and her 3 kittens. They were too stupid to even run off after the first one was shot.

The following day the male bobcat was shot under the same circumstances. No hunting. No calling. Just shot in the yard as the live photo shows by the OP.

They were not depredating when shot. They were just shot.

So, forgive me if I don't hand out medals of honor for shooting human conditioned bobcats in an urban environment.

They probably needed to be shot to control the populace of cats within that human conditioned environment... And probably killing a few things they wouldn't be otherwise.

But, lets call it what it is.
I think rockinbar surmizes the situation pretty good on the CA bobcat situation. The only problem I have on this thread and where it seems to fall apart is when hunters start passing judgment on other hunters on a legal hunting act. This negative commenting isn't that different than Jim Zumbo commenting negatively on Black Rifles because they didn't interest "him".

To make matters worse this hunter hails from a state that needs all the support it can get from hunters not opposition. The old saying "If you don't have something nice to sat don't say anything at all" might apply to this situation.

Last edited by Farming; 02/02/17.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
A little further north in 14 degree temps, 10 stands produced one coyote and one bobcat. I don't believe for a second that is the preditor ratio of dogs to cats. [Linked Image]][/url]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If coyotes were nearly as stupid as cats there wouldn't be nearly as many of them out there on the loose.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The one thing a cat has going for it is patience. If there was a cat in the area I was hunting I'd probably leave before 99% of them would ever show up.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
If coyotes were nearly as stupid as cats there wouldn't be nearly as many of them out there on the loose.

Very true when it comes to trapping but quite the opposite when it comes to calling IME.

Originally Posted by Farming
The one thing a cat has going for it is patience. If there was a cat in the area I was hunting I'd probably leave before 99% of them would ever show up.

Agree....Also worth noting is their stealth...some of the Cats I've called were setting there staring at me when I finally discovered their presence.
Lord knows how long they'd been there.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Very true when it comes to trapping but quite the opposite when it comes to calling IME.

Agree....Also worth noting is their stealth...some of the Cats I've called were setting there staring at me when I finally discovered their presence.

When calling cats scent/wind doesn't seem to be as big a deal as with coyotes in my experience. Been busted by coyotes many times when they circle downwind, don't think I've ever been busted by a cat because of scent when calling....or maybe I have and just never saw the cat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

All very true but danged coyotes sure are learning fast. They need something new ever so often. Squeaky mouse seems to still be working.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

When calling cats scent/wind doesn't seem to be as big a deal as with coyotes in my experience. Been busted by coyotes many times when they circle downwind, don't think I've ever been busted by a cat because of scent when calling....or maybe I have and just never saw the cat.

Same thing's true when trapping cats.
I stink up my sets with human scent something awfull trying to keep the Coyotes out of em.
Tracks in the snow indicate it works quite well too...ha

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

All very true but danged coyotes sure are learning fast. They need something new ever so often. Squeaky mouse seems to still be working.

Todays Coyote is a whole different critter than they were pre-FoxPro.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Todays Coyote is a whole different critter than they were pre-FoxPro.

Agreed

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

On this stand the cat came in from down wind. As we walked back to the rig we cut fresh coyote tracks that weren't there when we walked in " down wind in the timber" damn coyote was coming but didn't show cuz he winded us.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How it all happened. I got my tags. The next day I was sitting in my living room watching TV. It was a little after 9am and I saw the 'cats walking along my back yard. (I have a glass door facing my back yard). So I waited till they walked behind my hot tub gazibo. Then I go outside with my rifle. I only had 3 rounds in the gun. However I assumed at the first shot they would all scatter. So I shot the biggest one the others just froze. So I shot the second one but the third started running away. So I shot it on the run and hit it a little too far back which blew a hole in it. The fourth one jumped down the hillside. So I put the gun down and went to collect them. I got about halfway to them when the fourth one comes back. So I turn around, come back to my house, and go to my reloading bench and picked up some more cartridges. I then loaded my gun and the fourth one was just hanging around. So I shot it. I am anxious to get it back from the taxidermy. My buddy is having two of them mounted for his game room. And I'm having one mounted to put in my living room.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I agree with the ex wildlife trapper and lawman, Rockinbbar, that the family of bobcats were way too densitized to humans as coyotes often become.

Its amazing that a cat like those hasnt attacked a child as coyotes have done.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
This guy used to have two dumb dogs.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,475 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.