Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I saw a link to the recovery video of the Rompola buck posted on another message forum, and wondered if anyone has heard anything new lately.

The last thing I heard is that Rompola signed a contract with the promoters of the Hanson buck that he will not make any claim that his is the world record unless and until the Hanson buck is beaten.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That is the last I have heard here in Michigan. I see no reason to disbelieve the man. He has shot lots of huge deer here.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If he had the new world record and took it legally then why would he sign a contract like that? Sounds a little fishy to me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've kind of wanted to believe the buck is real. Since he comes off to most people as an odd kind of guy, that only adds to the mysteriousness of his claim. I know he has killed other "book" bucks, yet doesn't seem to use them to seek fame. His nature seems to be pretty reclusive, so I suppose a recluse might act very different from the rest of us.

Maybe someday we'll know more about this. If he actually has the record, I wish it would be determined. The only scenario I can see is that if the Milo Hanson buck gives up the title to a buck that is not as big as the Rompola buck, it will free Rompola to make his claim. Or, if Rompola sells the antlers to someone else, that person might be free from the contract with the Hanson people. Either way, records are made to be broken, so someday it will probably be a moot point.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You hit the nail on the head with recluse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I thought this buck had been discredited? Is the claim still hanging around about new world record?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
recluse????

I don't think so! Recluses do not hang around malls with cameras hidden in shopping bags to photograph under the skirts of underage girls... Do not remember if he was convicted or just entered a guilty plea...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm gonna go steal the head..

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
recluse????

I don't think so! Recluses do not hang around malls with cameras hidden in shopping bags to photograph under the skirts of underage girls... Do not remember if he was convicted or just entered a guilty plea...
art

I had heard he was accused of something like that, but I didn't know any specific charges. If that's true, it supports the view that he was/is a recluse. A guy like that wants to look, but he doesn't want a relationship.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good luck, tomahawk! Let us know how it turns out.

Steve

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I thought this buck had been discredited? Is the claim still hanging around about new world record?
Someone plese correct me if I'm wrong, but (first question) I don't think it was ever discredited. However, it looks bad that he never allowed it to be "credited" or authenticated.

And (second question), the claim isn't hanging around because a contract made the claim go away. Once the terms of the contract no longer apply, the claim could be made again.

I didn't really want to re-open this issue. I was just wondering if there was anything new since I'd last heard anything a couple of years ago. Apparently the contract he made with the Hanson people makes sure there is nothing new.

Steve

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
anybody got a pic of this buck?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
anybody got a pic of this buck?
Here is a link that gives some of the history, including a link to a large photo:
A good Rompola archive. It supposedly beats the Hanson buck by more than 5 inches.

Steve

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am fairly certain there has NEVER been a B&C buck killed in Grand Traverse Co. where Mitch claims to have killed the buck. If there is one, it was taken MANY decades ago. His story don't add up...

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think Grand Traverse County is just below the dent separating the little finger from the rest of the mitten. By the looks of all the white counties around there, you're right. 'Course, that doesn't mean a booner could never come from there. I could point out a county in Pennsylvania that is also white, indicating an absence of any B&C bucks, but a buddy of mine killed one there inNovember, '05 -- 189 4/8 non-typical that was accepted into B&C in May, 2006.
[Linked Image]

Sorry for the huge map. I hate it when other people post giant photos, but it's not mine; I just linked to it.

Steve

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If he had the new world record and took it legally then why would he sign a contract like that? Sounds a little fishy to me.

He got paid for it.

Now, therefore, in lieu of litigation, and for good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, the parties hereby agree as follows:

GV

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
am fairly certain there has NEVER been a B&C buck killed in Grand Traverse Co. where Mitch claims to have killed the buck. If there is one, it was taken MANY decades ago. His story don't add up...

Yep. I think it was probaly a game farm deer, doctored antlers or both.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep. I think it was probaly a game farm deer....

Actually, that makes the most sense of any theory -- although that's not to say I support that view. I don't support any view. I'm only asking questions. There have been B&C scorers who have scored the rack, even though Rompola never submitted it for B&C entry. (Whether their score was "official" or not, I don't know.) And Deer & Deer Hunting magazine did a story -- as I remember, they believed it was not a set of doctored antlers. Might be interesting to go back and read that again.

But a game farm? Possibly -- that would require accomplices. We'll probably never know much more than we do now until Rompola is gone, and that would require the rack to "outlive" him.

Anyway, it sounds like old Mitch made out OK if he received "good and valuable consideration" to shut up.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I recall correctly, wasn't the skull plate covered in Bondo or something simlar when it was scored unofficially? From what I read on the forums, the whole incident stank to high heaven including the signing of the contract...I mean why in heavens name would anybody sign such a contract unless it was to prevent the truth comming out? The people behind the Hanson buck could not have forced him to sign, but any action they could have taken if didn't would have meant the head would have come under more scrutiny...I suspect he simply signed to stop it being exposed as a fake..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Going from memory:

The rack was never scored, Mitch won't allow anyone near it. He signed the agreement with Hanson after Hanson threatened to sue him. The agreement states that if another deer is shot that is bigger then the Hanson buck Rompola will allow his rack to be scored.

Yes, the guy is a cetified pervert. he had a camera mounted in shoe, was filming up the dresses of young girls at a county fair. Haven't heard anything of him since he went to jail a few years back. He has some mental issues to say the least.

If you believe the articles that were written about him in bow hunting magazines over 15 years ago the guy is a hell of a bow hunter. He does his homework, only persues specific animals. He has shot some massive whitetails in Northern Michigan. He got busted for shining deer (IIRC he didn't have a bow or rifle in his vehicle) which has had a negitive impact on his creditability.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.