Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What? You never ate mudfish?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I think I had some at Golden Corral once...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, if that's all you've got....

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Don't they have,...like,..warthogs and stuff to eat over there?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Subsistence agriculture, done by hand, they grow stuff or herd stuff.

That mattock they were digging with is the primary soil cultivation tool.

Corn, sorghum and millet for grains. Tomato, peppers, okra, mangos, bananas and oranges for fruits. Cassava, taro and yams for root crops. Peanuts for legumes. Cattle, sheep, goats, chickens and eggs for animal protein. That's most of whats eaten every day plus whatever the bush provides.

Giant land snails, impaled on sticks and dried. Dried fish, almost always caught with nets, a lot minnow-sized. Wild game by snare or locally produced smoothbore muzzleloaders. Larger game gets thinned out pretty quick around villages due to overhunting, smaller stuff like porcupines and giant rats are incidental freebies, catch 'em when you find 'em. Same thing with songbird nestlings. Pretty sure mudfish fall into that same category too.

Typical meal is heavy on starch, served with palm-nut or peanut oil and lots of peppers, with just scraps of animal protein. What animal protein there is is typically stewed into oblivion.

So I have eaten mudfish, I recall seeing the heads in the soups, can't tell you what they taste like though, sorta insipid and slimy IIRC.

Best of meal of all was dried tuna from the coast, with okra, peppers (uber hot) in peanut oil soup, poured over fermented cornmeal paste. Heck, I'd buy it now if they sold it around here.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Tastes like?

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Subsistence agriculture, done by hand, they grow stuff or herd stuff.

That mattock they were digging with is the primary soil cultivation tool.

Corn, sorghum and millet for grains. Tomato, peppers, okra, mangos, bananas and oranges for fruits. Cassava, taro and yams for root crops. Peanuts for legumes. Cattle, sheep, goats, chickens and eggs for animal protein. That's most of whats eaten every day plus whatever the bush provides.

Giant land snails, impaled on sticks and dried. Dried fish, almost always caught with nets, a lot minnow-sized. Wild game by snare or locally produced smoothbore muzzleloaders. Larger game gets thinned out pretty quick around villages due to overhunting, smaller stuff like porcupines and giant rats are incidental freebies, catch 'em when you find 'em. Same thing with songbird nestlings. Pretty sure mudfish fall into that same category too.

Typical meal is heavy on starch, served with palm-nut or peanut oil and lots of peppers, with just scraps of animal protein. What animal protein there is is typically stewed into oblivion.

So I have eaten mudfish, I recall seeing the heads in the soups, can't tell you what they taste like though, sorta insipid and slimy IIRC.

Best of meal of all was dried tuna from the coast, with okra, peppers (uber hot) in peanut oil soup, poured over fermented cornmeal paste. Heck, I'd buy it now if they sold it around here.

Birdwatcher

Well, yeehaw.... 40M years of human evolution, and hundreds of thousands of years head start on Western culture gets you that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thats pretty cool.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
That's a fish story that's gonna be tough to top.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whoa, crazy.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the difference in a mudfish and mudshark.....

I'd probably eat a mudfish if I was starving....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only equivalent I can think of in the arid northwest are spade foot toads. They can endure several dry years underground in the desert and come rolling out if there's a heavy midsummer thunder storm. Have found them several feet down with no idea of how they got there to begin with.

No record of them being eaten though.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was just setting here thinking of all the different ways I have caught fish... some I could name... and some are better forgotten, but I can honestly say I've never dug one up.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
tastes like chicken

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, yeehaw.... 40M years of human evolution, and hundreds of thousands of years head start on Western culture gets you that.

How much of that do you take credit for, personally?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
At least they'll work for their food over there.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At least they'll work for their food over there.

Africans as a group have nothing but disdain for American Black ghetto culture.

For them being "Black" doesn't confer anything, everybody is Black over there. What ethnic group you belong too matters a whole lot more, and I say "ethnic group" rather than "tribe", because when you have 14 million Ashantis, that ain't a tribe thats an ethnic group.

Birdwatcher

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 4ager

Kinda reminds me of digging clams at low tide in the mud flat behind the house.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Only equivalent I can think of in the arid northwest are spade foot toads. They can endure several dry years underground in the desert and come rolling out if there's a heavy midsummer thunder storm. Have found them several feet down with no idea of how they got there to begin with.

No record of them being eaten though.

Spring of '98 out by Beaty's Butte they came out in the 100's of thousands. For miles the ground was swarming with them (along the West Rd). Didn't eat any. Did learn a valuable lesson that spring, up towards Catlow, when driving along a desert two-track and you see a duck swimming ahead of you, STOP, and backup!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,797
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.