Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I bet you mean .0015" for those necks.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was a test to see who was paying attention. You passed the test... wink

Yes, thanks for noting, I will change that in the original post.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Leonten
I have an RCBS charge master dispenser and scale. It is a little pricey but I won't go back to measuring loads anymore. You put the tray on the scale load up a bullet and by the time you're done another charge is in the tray.

Their great till they fail, then you toss all that money in the trash.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With most powders it's throw and go for me. I use a Uniflow and probably the only powder it won't throw consistently enough for me is IMR4831, it has to be thrown light and trickled. All others meter within +-.1gr. If you worry about a tenth of a grain, you're picking fly spec out of pepper.
RCBS did a study where they took subjects of varying skill levels from those who were serious reloaders to people who had never loaded before and had them throw charges with a Uniflow. The upshot was whether you just worked the handle or bumped three times or whatever, anybody could throw consistent charges as long as their technique was consistent.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Electric powder measures are way to slow for me.

If I weighed and trickled for every case I'd take up golf.

Exactly, I set the powder measure and check every 10th charge as long as I'm within .1 on the Lyman D-7 I keep throwing til I'm done and then get the excess powder sealed back into the container and put way.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Leonten,

Just about everybody I've heard brag on how much an electronic scale has speeded up their handloading has said essentially what you just posted: "You put the tray on the scale load up a bullet and by the time you're done another charge is in the tray."

But I would bet every one of them is comparing their speed to weighing every charge on a balance scale. That's the only way a typical e-scale is quicker.

But putting handloaded cartridges together one at a time is slow no matter how you do it, unless using a progressive loader. If using a single-stage press, the fastest way is to first size all the cases, then prime all of 'em, then charge all of 'em with a mechanical powder measure, then seat all the bullets. Waiting for an electronic scale to dispense charges, even if you're seating bullets while the next charge is dispensing, is slower. I've tested all this, more than once.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the input John.

I have an RCBS Rock chucker. I am one of those strange individuals that measures each load. But I don't reload everything at the same time. First I tumble the brass then size it prime powder and seat bullet.

I reload during television commercials I might size 10 and then go back to watch the rest of the show. Then repeat the process. I do the same thing with each step. Which is why I load the bullet as soon as the case is charged. As sometimes I don't finish the process when I go to bed. The next night or maybe two or three days later I'll start the process again. And I don't want a bunch charged cartridges to be sitting there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess that technique works ok for you, but I find that if I interrupt the process a bunch I start losing track of where I'm at. If I seated bullets in each case as it is charged, I would find myself wondering at the end of the job if I had missed a powder charge, or god forbid added a double charge if loading low powder weight target loads. I follow the protocols that MD just described, to include visual double and triple checking of rows of charged cases with a flashlight. That way I know the powder level is correct in each case, for absopositively sure. That little [bleep] doubt, that "is it or ain't it" feeling in the back of my mind would bother me right up to the point I start the trigger squeeze- and that isn't good for my general demeanor or my shooting ability.

I'm pretty old school when it comes to measures. I'm using the same Belding&Mull I bought used 40 years ago. A bazillion charges later and it is still tight and as reliable as it was back then. I try to utilize ball powders as much as possible these days for minimal deviation when throwing powder charges, but even with coarse powder like SR-4759 the old B&M works to a plenty accurate level of repeatability. The RCBS 10-10 is merely a measure checker for me for the most part.

Edit: I guess n*ggling is a non-acceptable word!

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/13/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's easy to figure out where you are, just look at what die is in the press.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (1badf350, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,504
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.