Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I went with the 20-70. I don't need the wide angle because I'm not sitting there looking for an animal. Just target shooting. And while I couldn't find any real reviews of the S2 with the 20-70, I did find lots of reviews of the Nightforce version, which is basically the same scope and it uses the 20-70. And it seems to get great reviews, so I took the plunge on the S2. Should be here in a week.

I also got the whole package new for $1800 haha!

Nice!!! Where from?

GB1

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I went with the 20-70. I don't need the wide angle because I'm not sitting there looking for an animal. Just target shooting. And while I couldn't find any real reviews of the S2 with the 20-70, I did find lots of reviews of the Nightforce version, which is basically the same scope and it uses the 20-70. And it seems to get great reviews, so I took the plunge on the S2. Should be here in a week.

I also got the whole package new for $1800 haha!

Nice!!! Where from?

Sport Optics has a package deal with the eyepiece for $2100 and they have (or had) a 15% off sale for euro companies. Right now they have a 12% sale for Valentine's Day. So it's still possible to get a good price.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an S2 with the 20-70. The only caveat with the Cabela's version is the eyepiece is not removable. These are great scopes. I want for nothing. At the price these sell for on sale, you can't go wrong. Do a search on here, there are lots of positive posts.

Here, I did the search for you.
S2 Meopta on 24HCF

***Edit: I can't seem to link the search results. Enter "S2 Meopta".

Last edited by kingston; 02/09/17.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Scope arrived today. It's too dark to really get a good peek through it. But living in the city (SF), I have a nice view of all the city lights and it looks pretty freakin' good. A couple things though:

1. The eyepiece has no lock. So when you zoom the eyepiece, it basically unscrews itself from the scope body. Really annoying. You have to use two hands. One to zoom and one to hold the eyepiece so it doesn't unscrew. It either A) Needs a locking mechanism (like on a DSLR), or B) Needs a tighter fit with a friction lock of sorts. I'll contact Meopta about this and see if there is a solution.

2. The 20-70 eyepiece seems nice so far (again, hard to tell at night). But the 70x isn't exactly that much more than 60x. At 1,000 yards it's basically no difference in terms of "zoom". But the eyebox is pretty tight. Makes me wonder if the 30-60x would have been a better choice. Maybe the eyebox is more forgiving, with less vignetting.

I'll play with it in the morning, when there's more light.

On a side note, the PhoneSkope I ordered is also way too loose. I need to put some electrical tape on the inside so it can grip the scope better. So no photos/video yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
......A couple things though:

1. The eyepiece has no lock. So when you zoom the eyepiece, it basically unscrews itself from the scope body. Really annoying. You have to use two hands. One to zoom and one to hold the eyepiece so it doesn't unscrew. It either A) Needs a locking mechanism (like on a DSLR), or B) Needs a tighter fit with a friction lock of sorts. I'll contact Meopta about this and see if there is a solution.

If it's an S2 it has a lock which engages when eyepiece is emplaced and requires the push of a button to release.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/13/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi FourT6and2,

If the Cabelas (Meopta)has a non removable eyepiece, it is NOT the S2 MeoStar. I think is the MeoPro version. The Meopta second line of optics. Very good, also but not the best ones.
The S2 (and S1 by the way, I have one) are the best Meoptas and they do have removable eyepieces. The S1 screw type mount, and the S2 a bayonet type one.

Good luck!

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by TheBigSky

If it's an S2 it has a lock which engages when eyepiece is emplaced and requires the push of a button to release.

Really?! What button? Yes, it's an S2. There is no button...

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Oh wow, never mind lol. I'm an idiot.

That little pin in the body snaps into a notch in the eyepiece. But I had to really force it. I didn't want to damage anything, but I see how it works now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't have mine in front of me so bare with me as I try to describe it. By the way, it should be in the manual. The button isn't separate by color or anything. On the underside the eyepiece release button is on the body and it is only identifiable as three raised lines just short of the separation of the eyepiece and the body. You need to push in quite firmly on it to release. It is there. I believe it's actually triangular in shape.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/14/17.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
We've had the Cabelas, straight, with 20/70 for two hunting seasons now. It is very sharp and very true on colors. I recommend it highly. It is a long-term piece of equipment.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F

I don't have mine in front of me so bare with me as I try to describe it. By the way, it should be in the manual. The button isn't separate by color or anything. on the underside the eyepiece release button is on the body and it is only identifiable as three raised lines. You need to push in quite firmly on it to release. It is there. I believe it's actually triangular in shape.

Yup, I found it. Thanks haha! I guess it was too dark last night and I was too excited to play with the thing to notice it. smile

Here's a video. A bit shaky because I had to hand-hold the camera since the Phone Skope is a bit loose. Watch in 1080P.

The crane and workers are a bit over 600 yards away. The domed building at the end is 4,048 yards.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02/14/17.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi FourT6and2,

If the Cabelas (Meopta)has a non removable eyepiece, it is NOT the S2 MeoStar. I think is the MeoPro version. The Meopta second line of optics. Very good, also but not the best ones.
The S2 (and S1 by the way, I have one) are the best Meoptas and they do have removable eyepieces. The S1 screw type mount, and the S2 a bayonet type one.

Good luck!

The Cabelas Instinct Euro HD is the exact same scope as the Meopta S2, with the exception that the Euro HD does not have a removable eyepiece.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Instinct-Euro-HD-Spotting-Scope/1575211.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dinstinct%2Bspotting%2Bscope%26CQ_st%3Db

Nice video FourT. I just got one of those Phone Skope rigs too.

Last edited by JGRaider; 02/14/17.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Figured I'd try one more vid during my lunch break. Here's Alcatraz at 4700 yards. Again, make sure to watch in HD. The tree colors at 2:20 are awesome.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 02/14/17.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's really surprising that Meopta hasn't put out a 60-65mm smaller scope to fit the niche of backpack hunting. The 80 and 82 are awesome but just so big and heavy. If they made a smaller/lighter version at Meopta price points they would sell like hot cakes.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi JG,

If it is so, is the same situation as with the Cabela Euro HD/Meopta Meostar HD binoculars. There are some MM HD offered ONLY by Cabelas, the 8x32 HD as an example. Not for sale in Europe where the only ones are the 10x42, 12x50 and 15x56.
This version of the great S2 Meostar, with the fixed eyepiece would be only sold by Cabela's.

Regards

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Alaska,

I have the S1 APO Meopta Meostar 20-60x75. The previous top of the line Meopta's S.S.
I understand it is in the market in Europe as S1 HD instead of "APO" (for apochromatic).
This S1 APO or HD is a fantastic Spotting Scope, much lighter and smaller than the S2 and less expensive as well. Optically is VERY good! And, beeing apochromatic, is very well corrected for chromatic aberrations. As the S2 is. And a fixed 30x Wide Angle eyepiece is an extra option. I have this also. I must recomend it!

PH

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man... You all are making it hard to resist one of these Meopta's.. Need to check some weights but they look danged good!

Semper Fi
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.