Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kingston
They do sexy up a Ruger!

Who says you can't put lipstick on a pig! smile

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking to do the English stalking rifle on a Ruger #1. Something I was concerned about was the "baby crap brown" wood on current #1's and he said that was a sprayed on finish they used to try to match the stock and forend, but once you stripped all of that off there was often some decent if not fancy wood under there, and sometimes you got lucky and found really nice wood.

One option he offers is a "vintage finish" which is a custom staining they mix up for each rifle and is feathered in to be darker around the metal. He said a rifle so finished basically looks like a 100 or 150 year old firearm that had been stored in a safe all that time.

I asked him about stainless Ruger 77's since that's all I have and those can have the barrel and trigger guard ceracoated to a glossy blue-black but with the receiver left uncoated. So finished and stocked in a Germanic style apparently they can closely mimic a 1909 Argentine sporter with a blued barrel and trappings but the action left in the white.

My little brain is all awhirl at the possibilities. I should thank you for turning me on to this guy but I think you are going to cost me some money. wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That is interesting stock work.

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
😂

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too called and spoke with RJ.

Man, I can't get this idea out of my head.

So much so, today I bought a tang safety Ruger M77RS in '06 so as to have a donor rifle on hand should I decide to go through with it. It's in like new condition, with the bluing 100%.

Both the Pre-war 77 and the Faux Rigby look awesome.

What to do smile.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by skeen
I too called and spoke with RJ.

Man, I can't get this idea out of my head.

So much so, today I bought a tang safety Ruger M77RS in '06 so as to have a donor rifle on hand should I decide to go through with it. It's in like new condition, with the bluing 100%.

Both the Pre-war 77 and the Faux Rigby look awesome.

What to do smile.
I know how you feel. grin

I emailed him two days ago to get a work order started to turn a LH M70 into a faux Rigby, already have an unfinished Supergrade stock coming thanks to a campfire member and ordered some other bits and pieces of hardware - the Skinner peep sight arrived in the mail this afternoon. It will be a while before he is ready for everything but it gets my name in the queue.

Keep looking at that pre-war German design as well and thinking my MRC 1999 6.5x55 would be a perfect candidate for that. As is standard loony practice, whenever you can't decide between two things, get both. wink Trying to slow down though to see how the "Rigby" turns out but it's awful hard not to order both at the same time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, after dreaming about a RJ Renner Ruger and going back and forth with RJ, he must have sensed my impatience and he mentioned he'd sell me his demo Pre-War M77 he used for his website pictures.
He made me an offer, and I accepted and paid right then. smile
It'll be shipped Monday. Here's the pics RJ sent sent me.

It's a tang safety round top in 7mm mag. I'm a sucker for the casehardening.

This from RJ, "It has a round-top casecolored receiver and floorplate with a period Williams Fool Proof receiver sight. This Pre-war 77 has a 24" barrel chambered in the versatile and ever-popular 7mm Remington Magnum. The rifle is mechanically like brand-new with a perfect bore and blued bolt face - not even a primer ring. And, of course, the exterior IS brand new as seen in the photos."

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin Congratulations! I bet that's going to look even better in person than it does in the pictures.

I should be jealous but that's a good solution. wink That's the way to beat the waiting time and get to the head of the line!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hmmm. I wonder what they could do with my No 1 RSI?

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my Pre-War M77 today.
First, I want to say, it's a work of art, as far as I'm concerned. I love the casehardening and the checkering.
Second, wow- it breathes new life into an ol' Ruger M77. The way it shoulders, points and handles now is awesome.
Third, until you see it side by side with a standard Ruger M77 you just cannot appreciate how much wood he removes off the stock.
Lastly, RJ is a stand up guy who does excellent work and I wholeheartedly recommend his service.

I thought I'd share some quick pics of the Pre-war M77 aside a Ruger M77RS 30-06.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Cigar Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
PLEASE Get to the range and let us know..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for those pictures. Or not, since you're giving me second thoughts about whether to do up a faux Rigby or that pre-war Germanic style. wink

Seriously, I appreciate the pics and especially the one showing the top of the barrels, he really does remove a lot of wood. The MRC 1999 ASR has a funky kind of stock - it's a Boyd's Prairie Hunter in case anybody's interested - but there are two flutes or indentations at the top of the forend next to the barrel channel and I wasn't sure there would be enough wood there to do anything with, but from your pics it seems there is.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beautiful.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a sharp rifle!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by skeen
Well, after dreaming about a RJ Renner Ruger and going back and forth with RJ, he must have sensed my impatience and he mentioned he'd sell me his demo Pre-War M77 he used for his website pictures.
He made me an offer, and I accepted and paid right then. smile
It'll be shipped Monday. Here's the pics RJ sent sent me.

It's a tang safety round top in 7mm mag. I'm a sucker for the casehardening.

This from RJ, "It has a round-top casecolored receiver and floorplate with a period Williams Fool Proof receiver sight. This Pre-war 77 has a 24" barrel chambered in the versatile and ever-popular 7mm Remington Magnum. The rifle is mechanically like brand-new with a perfect bore and blued bolt face - not even a primer ring. And, of course, the exterior IS brand new as seen in the photos."

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That is nice!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Stunning. That Germanic is killin me.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Thanks for those pictures. Or not, since you're giving me second thoughts about whether to do up a faux Rigby or that pre-war Germanic style. wink

Seriously, I appreciate the pics and especially the one showing the top of the barrels, he really does remove a lot of wood. The MRC 1999 ASR has a funky kind of stock - it's a Boyd's Prairie Hunter in case anybody's interested - but there are two flutes or indentations at the top of the forend next to the barrel channel and I wasn't sure there would be enough wood there to do anything with, but from your pics it seems there is.

[Linked Image]

I may be totally wrong about this, but I wonder if the barrel contour on the ASR might be a bit heavy to give the finished product the same appearance/balance as the M77. Dunno.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a good point, after reading your post when I was home at lunch I compared the MRC to a Ruger 77 .308 and the MRC barrel is definitely a heavier contour - not terribly so but the difference is plain especially through the middle portion.

But I just remembered that the rifle Skeen bought is a 7mm RM so I'm guessing that has the Ruger magnum contour, in the picture it looks to be a bit heavier than the .30-06 standard contour he shows next to it. They chamber their .25-06 Hawkeye with that same magnum contour so I can compare my .25-06 to the MRC.

Skeen, if you read this post could you verify that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim, it's a standard contour barrel. If the barrels look different in the pics, it's just camera angle or lighting. And, of course, no one has ever mistaken me for a professional photographer. grin

Cigar, thanks for turning us on to RJ. I don't know when I'll be able to make it to the range. I envy guys who can just go out and shoot out their back door. It's a little bit of a production and drive for me.

I spoke with RJ, again, last night, to get in "line" to have that 30-06 M77RS turned into a Faux Rigby.

Though some may disagree with this decision, I went ahead and removed the Williams peep-sight and mounted a gloss Leupold FX-3. I like it. The Redfield rings are casehardened too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That might be a standard contour, but it still looks slimmer than the No. 2 "pipe" MRC puts on the ASR. I asked Jeff Sipe at MRC about a lighter contour barrel, and he said they make one, but when I tried to get the specs from either of the two sales managers he put me in touch with, things skidded to a halt. Over the years I've found that once you get below Jeff things just bog down.

By the way, this might be heresy, but I don't think the scope looks bad. I'd sure need one because my eyes don't work with iron anymore, open or aperture.

RM

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 61 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,202
Posts18,485,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.