M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by sse
I like how they discuss the problem, while repeating the dam is in no danger, while if the achilles heel fails, the dam will be left standing holding back a wall of air.

Wrong...if the spillways had experienced total failure, most of the water behind the dam would still be there...

Even if 'most' was left behind the dam, the predicted top 30' would be a huge disaster.

And once they lose basic integrity the whole thing would likely wash out.

No it wouldn't...I agree that a 30 ft. "wall of water" would be a huge disaster, but none of the structure was ever in danger of failure...sure, it makes for great headlines, finger pointing and idiotic posts, but like you'll see down the road, it's going to come out that the DWR was well aware of what would happen if the water started going over the emergency spillway...hint...it was no secret... and they were also well aware what the inflow was and how fast they could lower the lake through the main spillway if needed...the thing to remember is they (DWR) were presented with the unique and fairly uncommon circumstances of having a full lake, an excess of inflow, and the "PLAUSIBLE" excuse of the damaged portion of the lower apron of the main spillway to potentially justify their decision to slow the flow on the main spillway and "ALLOW" it to flow over the emergency section, knowing full well what would happen...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If the purpose of the spillways was to release water without significance damage they have already failed. With rain and Spring run off we will see how dire may be the consequences.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have not been following this closely, but whoever drafted the "60-minute imminent failure" header should be punished.

From the link in the op's post. It was the state that said it would fail in the next 60 minutes.

The California Department of Water Resources issued a sudden evacuation order shortly before 5 p.m. Sunday for residents near the Oroville Dam in northern California, warning that the dam’s emergency spillway would fail in the next 60 minutes.

The Oroville Dam is the highest in the nation.

An emergency alert issued on Facebook stated:

EMERGENCY EVACUATION ORDER ISSUED: Officials are anticipating a failure of the Auxiliary Spillway at Oroville Dam within the next 60 minutes. Residents of Oroville should evacuate in a northward direction, toward Chico. Other cities should follow the orders of their local law enforcement

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but here's a pretty good forum on the dam that contains some interesting information (in this layman's opinion).

https://www.metabunk.org/oroville-dam-spillway-failure.t8381/page-19

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
typical ignorant emergency manager debacle they run from $hit and a sweat every time a ant farts . is there any one with any common sense anymore ??????????

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IS THE 60 MIN UP YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CoElk101: Well as much as I despise kalifornicationkopia I hope no one gets killt if this thing ever does fail.
I wonder if the R.C.B.S. Company (manufacturing plant) is upstream or downstream (in danger) from this dam?
Anyway hope no one is hurt if worse comes to worse.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Meanwhile, real people have real problems.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
R.C.B.S Company is downstream.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
CoElk101: Well as much as I despise kalifornicationkopia I hope no one gets killt if this thing ever does fail.
I wonder if the R.C.B.S. Company (manufacturing plant) is upstream or downstream (in danger) from this dam?
Anyway hope no one is hurt if worse comes to worse.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yep, there's more than a few Despicables here. Is that the reason you "despise kalifornicationkopia".

You ARE a f ucking MORON.

Now go outside and piss in the wind, JERKWAD.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There ain't enough money in 'nair' Texas bank to make me live downhill from that sumbeech!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From the NWS for Oroville. Doesn't look super bad.
link

This Afternoon
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. South southeast wind around 9 mph.

Tonight
A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. East northeast wind 5 to 7 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday
Showers. High near 56. East southeast wind 6 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Friday Night
Showers. Low around 49. East southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Saturday
Showers likely, mainly before 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46.

Sunday
A 50 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 56.

Sunday Night
Showers. Cloudy, with a low around 54.

Washington's Birthday
Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 59.

Monday Night
Rain. Cloudy, with a low around 51. Breezy.

Tuesday
Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 60.

Tuesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48.

Wednesday
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 57.

Wednesday Night
A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44.

Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head
I haven't heard anything, from the inside skinny, about the turbines being affected but if it happened I should find out in the next few days.

The power plant is shut down due to debris. That's the extent of what I was told. I don't know if the debris was ingested or it came in the form of a suppository.

Y'all can discuss it. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't heard anything, from the inside skinny, about the turbines being affected but if it happened I should find out in the next few days.

The power plant is shut down due to debris. That's the extent of what I was told. I don't know if the debris was ingested or it came in the form of a suppository.

Middlefork miner told us that isn't possible. I brought up the power plant being shut earlier and we already argued over it. crazy

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve
Not sure if this has been posted or not, but here's a pretty good forum on the dam that contains some interesting information (in this layman's opinion).

Much more informed discussion going on there. Thanks.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by irfubar

Middlefork miner told us that isn't possible. I brought up the power plant being shut earlier and we already argued over it. crazy

There's a big difference in debris backing up water than actually entering the discharge chutes...

http://www.capradio.org/articles/20...pillway-as-new-storms-hit-northern-calif

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Steve

Much more informed discussion going on there. Thanks.

from that blog :

Yes the emergency spillway works as an overflow, but it's also supposed to not fail at the first trickle of water.

You're right, nobody HERE has made that patently FACTUAL observation, have they.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/16/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From same blog
http://www.petersoncat.com/history/oroville-dam said:

Buster’s Quad D9s were the star of the show on the $20 million spillway. Excavation of some 4 million cubic yards of solid rock made it one of the biggest ripping jobs in the West at the time. One million yards of that material had to be ripped using various methods, including Peterson’s new Quad D9 arrangement, outfitted with two 10-ft shanks, each with 4-ft extensions.

Nope, no WAY that formation could be called FOLIATED, what a dumb proposal on my (and the USGS's) part.

Ripping "Igneous basalt" is a real common practice, it's easy...no ?

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/16/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Deleted because I was acting the dick in this post.

Last edited by Steve; 02/17/17. Reason: I'm a dick

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, Big1bud, 7 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.