Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Some pretty country. What pack and tipi are you using there?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Alagator: I had a "butt clincher" incident in the Beartooths one late October day.
Myself and two Mule Deer Hunting partners had driven through a swinging "road closed gate" on the main highway and up into the snowy Beartooths we went.
Intent on big ol Buck Mulies.
Soon we found Deer tracks heading every whichway and off we went in three different directions.
I was on the fresh track of a big Mule Deer and following it intently for a mile or so and then came across fresh Grizzly tracks!
Oh boy I said to myself - I wish I had brought my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 300 Winchester Magnum instead of my pre-64 in 270 Winchester.
Oh well I said to myself I'll be on the lookout for the Griz and keep after the Mulie. The Mulie and the Griz both stayed in a small valley that had a small creek in it that had not yet froze over.
The Griz tracks are now so prevalent they are concerning me and I am following the shallow creek on one bank when from behind me I hear some vigorous splashing in the creek - I knew it wasn't the Mule Deer and only a Grizzly could make that much noise!
I was instantly inundated with adrenaline as I spun around switching off the safety on my Rifle and bracing myself for the expected Grizzly mauling!
I was amazed as I turned around to see not a Grizzly Bear as expected but two large Brook Trout splashing toward me in a shallow gravel riffle of the creek!
Thank God I said to myself.
The noise those two Trout made had scared me half to death - it took me some time to quit trembling.
I decided to get away from the Bear tracks and head for a high point and scan for Deer (and Griz!) from there.
Later I did mention the Grizzly tracks to my Hunting companions but skipped the part about how the Brookies scared me so badly.
Its been a couple of years since I've been up in the Beartooths - I am putting it on my list of "to do's" for this late summer/early fall.
Like Deflave's amazing pictures relay - that country is spectacular, wild and huge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took two elk out of that area.

Pretty country. Highly recommend making it happen.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice pics, deflave. We have been in the area many times but not too far off pavement.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Some pretty country. What pack and tipi are you using there?

That's a Go-Lite shangri-la 3 I believe.

I use an Osprey something or other. I'm on the road so can not say the exact model.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Nice pic's!

I've always wanted to do some serious trout fishing in those wilderness waters.

Last chance -- in the Winds -- I was too busy trying to collect elk meat though I was near "postcard" trout water every day.

It really was a tug-of-war as to what to do..

I'd love to draw a goat tag down there.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite fishing hole in that area. 3 1/2 mile walk each way as my age and physical condition keep me from hauling a tent and groceries around so I can't spend the night.

[Linked Image]

Luke the dog here just about caused me to have a runaway as I was busy taking a little nap and woke up with his face right in mine but his owner was calling out Don't shoot, he"s friendly. And was.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
My favorite fishing hole in that area. 3 1/2 mile walk each way as my age and physical condition keep me from hauling a tent and groceries around so I can't spend the night.

[Linked Image]

Luke the dog here just about caused me to have a runaway as I was busy taking a little nap and woke up with his face right in mine but his owner was calling out Don't shoot, he"s friendly. And was.

smile Friendly dogs can scare a guy!

An area i'd love to spend time in, but probably never will. Still too much Alaska!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Hatari,

I hate horses for obvious reasons but I backpack in that area every summer. Lots of great fishing and a schit ton of bears.

I once kicked a grizzly bear's ass with nothing but a can of beer in that area. I had two witnesses also.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What knife is that in the pic?

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That is a Rick Menefee Bigger, Better, Boner.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey Ivan! Save some fish for the rest of us!

Travis

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Really nice!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yup, darn nice pictures Travis. Fish are cool, goats are cooler.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks guys. I love to inspire.

[Linked Image]

That last mile killed him... laughin'.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here's schitdick when he was 12'ish. He's way tougher than the dog.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yea, this sure is some beautiful country! Just wish I could shed about twenty years.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Ivan! Save some fish for the rest of us!

Travis

OK. I'm gonna will the rest of em to you. All you gotta do is catch em and I bet you know how that's done!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I dont know chit about hunting this area, but damn its a beautiful drive through. My MIL lives in Belgrade, Mt and we drive through on the way to Jackson, Wy through Yellowstone when we are out there. If I remember right, we stop and spend a night in Red Lodge on the way and do our best to drink all of their whiskey while we are there. Little town with some cool ass bars.

Last edited by Mgw619; 02/27/17.

You'll shoot your eye out
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 24 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,367
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.